Kellie Harper Interview on Sports Talk

I watched the Meeks win one of their championships on YouTube the other day and they rarely advanced the ball by dribbling. A lot of the time, it was rebound and pass to a Meek in front court as quickly as possible. Kellie did it a lot when she played. I would like them to work on the part of the game that got the Meeks so wide open.

Her response to the PG question was a little discomforting...

She did leave the door open and indicated she was leaning towards the Grad-transfer pool for that opening though. With Brooklynn, Morasha we've got potential BH'ers in the wait,but I would definitely like to see a SR Tfr backup for this year

Reactions: Hangtyme24
my take: still recruiting and/or will work with what we have. and spoken with no real effort to be more definity.

similar in areas for improvement: we boarders have named the AfO many times

acknowledged her "concerns" on signing two players she had never met except via phone. noted they were super excited to be LVs.

summary: difficult times to be a coach and lack usual levels of control

Better to work with what you got than bring in someone who doesn't fit well into the team philosophy or chemistry. If Kellie finds a fit she likes and thinks will help, I'm sure they would make every effort to get that player. No need to bring just anybody in for the sake of bringing somebody in.

Better to work with what you got than bring in someone who doesn't fit well into the team philosophy or chemistry. If Kellie finds a fit she likes and thinks will help, I'm sure they would make every effort to get that player. No need to bring just anybody in for the sake of bringing somebody in.
100% agree

Reactions: EarlVolFan
Wouldn’t it be MORE discomforting if she doesn’t realize that as a need? IJS...

It's discomforting in that it doesn't sound that there is help on the way at this point. She isn't going to come out and say the season is ***ed if they can't find someone, but "we're still working on it" doesn't sound like a coach satisfied with the current roster.

And all you Horston stans claiming we're just fine with her at point should take note, Kellie had the opportunity to say the job is hers. She didn't. She called her a player who "handled a lot of the point guard position" last year and suggested it might be a position by committee if they can't sign anyone else. If that doesn't raise red flags about her play, I don't know what else to tell you. Horston is a fine player, but she isn't a natural point guard and Kellie knows it...

This is not the first time we've been in this situation and someone has always stepped up and eliminated the concern. Just sayin'

We can get excited about it if we want but I prefer the wait and see approach. We have a lot of guard talent. Would a dedicated PG be better....yes....but .....not imperative.

I could be wrong but I felt her evasiveness is based on not wanting to close the door on competition by naming someone now. Maybe someone else is working on skill development to fill the need. There is more than enough talent to do that.

Last edited:
It's a mystery, without any clues, as to who will join Horston at the point...
out-past-the-cornfields-where-the-woods-got-heavy-ort-5263490.png

This is not the first time we've been in this situation and someone has always stepped up and eliminated the concern. Just sayin'

Not always.

We can get excited about it if we want but I prefer the wait and see approach. We have a lot of guard talent. Would a dedicated PG be better....yes....but .....not imperative.

How many great teams had a point guard by committee?

Reactions: Raebo
I know this has been brought before, but from a ball handling situation would Jessie be capable on handling the point? Not necessarily full time but 8 minutes or so a game?

It's discomforting in that it doesn't sound that there is help on the way at this point. She isn't going to come out and say the season is ***ed if they can't find someone, but "we're still working on it" doesn't sound like a coach satisfied with the current roster.

And all you Horston stans claiming we're just fine with her at point should take note, Kellie had the opportunity to say the job is hers. She didn't. She called her a player who "handled a lot of the point guard position" last year and suggested it might be a position by committee if they can't sign anyone else. If that doesn't raise red flags about her play, I don't know what else to tell you. Horston is a fine player, but she isn't a natural point guard and Kellie knows it...

the sky is falling!

If John Stockton's daughter was our PG and Isiah Thomas Niece was her backup you'd still be unsatisfied Garth

• Eeyore, The 'Realistic' Optimist.
  • Oscar The Grouch, The 'Understanding' Pessimist.
  • Grumpy, The 'Reluctant' Optimist.
  • Garfield, The 'Accidental' Optimist.
  • Garth "the Lady Vol fan"
  • The Grinch, The 'Recovering' Pessimist.

Last edited:
Reactions: EarlVolFan
She did not display a ton of athletic ball handling ability this past season.....Opponents would probably full court press her into mistakes....

Could be wrong, but not likely.
oxford-ms-usa-09th-jan-2020-tennessee-guard-jessie-rennie-10-look-for-an-open-player-during-the-ncaa-womens-basketball-game-between-the-tennessee-lady-volunteers-and-the-ole-miss-rebels-at-the-pavillion-in-oxford-ms-kevin-langleysports-south-mediacsmalamy-live-news-2AKNB1H.jpg

the sky is falling!

If John Stockton's daughter was our PG and Isiah Thomas Niece was her backup you'd still be unsatisfied Garth

• Eeyore, The 'Realistic' Optimist.
  • Oscar The Grouch, The 'Understanding' Pessimist.
  • Grumpy, The 'Reluctant' Optimist.
  • Garfield, The 'Accidental' Optimist.
  • Garth "the Lady Vol fan"
  • The Grinch, The 'Recovering' Pessimist.

Jumper, he has a different opinion. No need to disparage. No excuses.

Not always. How many great teams had a point guard by committee?

Great teams? Probably not a lot but I would rather have a sure-fire scorer and lockdown defender at the point than someone whose skill set is primarily concerned with advancing the ball.

Reactions: Bret178
I know this has been brought before, but from a ball handling situation would Jessie be capable on handling the point? Not necessarily full time but 8 minutes or so a game?
Absolutely NOT a point guard.
She has a very specific skill set and ball handling and pressure defense are not part of that equation for her.

Reactions: VolBall09

Not likely. Her ball handling and speed would have to improve dramatically. She actually seemed to understand her role well as a freshman. Entered the game, made crisp passes, hit the open three and made nice post entry passes from the wing. If she can do that for 15 minutes next year and knock down threes she’ll be a huge asset. I think her minutes at the 2 will increase. Maybe by a lot if we don’t land another game ready guard.

The way she mentioned that the PG role may be helped by another addition to the roster makes me think we are in the hunt for someone! That’s really the last missing puzzle piece. Glad she’s not oblivious and upfront about it. 20 minutes and I don’t think I heard a single I don’t know.

Reactions: 1reVOLver and glv98

VN Store

Back