Kellie Harper has dramatically changed the LVs style of play

She has a system just need two or three more highly rated players to operate in it. As the roster gets better and deeper which I can see happening then we'll start seeing even more results and wins.

And those results and wins in turn lead to an even better roster! If we can play strong in the SEC this season and make deeper runs in both the SEC and NCAA Tourneys our recruiting interest will turn up.

Last edited:
I think this team is improving too. I like Suarez at the 4 because of her dribbling and passing ability. She has the body to hold her space. She has range as well. Really a phenomenal freshman season for her. We all knew Horston would put things together and she is becoming a difference maker. Our posts are rebounding and scoring and becoming much more effective. RaeRae has had a very fine season up to now. She jumped out of the gate early and has had her fare share of eye popping highlights as has Rennia. But, as you pointed out, there has been a lot of improvement on game fundamentals and we have more movement and an offense that exploits the strength of our players. Big difference!
Houston played very well against BAMA, 14 points, 7 rebounds and 3 asst. If we can play like we did against BAMA, and Burrell and Davis put up good numbers we can beat anyone in the SEC. I also believe that we can be competitive against other top teams. We must consistently control the turnovers.

I like Suarez, however "phenomenal" is quite a stretch..

JMHO. She relocated from the other hemisphere in the middle of a pandemic then earned a starting role on a premier program and has held that starting position all year long. Pretty phenomenal to me. She is not a Candice Parker but she plays better than a freshman. She catches a lot of crap from some coaching wannabes who are on her about one thing or another but she continues to play and get better.

Guys, I truly believe the ladies are learning the values of the motion attack.....The LVs are playing offense again, finally...Less and less one on one ball, is being replaced by team ball.

As the offensive talent continues to come back to the Lady Vols, the scoreboard will ring up like registers at Walmart on midnight madness night...
image-8-walmart-shoppers-on-black-friday.JPG

Last edited:
JMHO. She relocated from the other hemisphere in the middle of a pandemic then earned a starting role on a premier program and has held that starting position all year long. Pretty phenomenal to me. She is not a Candice Parker but she plays better than a freshman. She catches a lot of crap from some coaching wannabes who are on her about one thing or another but she continues to play and get better.
Carolyn Peck and Rick Moody have raved about Marta. Carolyn won a National championship and Rick Moody took Alabama to the final 4

And those results and wins in turn lead to an even better roster! If we can play strong in the SEC this season and make deeper runs in both the SEC and NCAA Tourneys our recruiting interest will turn up.
Some people like the class coming in and some say not rated high enough. I hope we have our own version of Williams, Schofield, and Bone in this class. They were the players that made it easier by winning for Barnes to get the five star players in here for the men's team. I am hoping this incoming class proves to be the bridge that gets Tennessee back in the National Title, SEC title, and top ten nationally in the next couple of years. Going to still be some ups and down this season we need quicker guards, more overall consistent play and better post play. Were getting it in a lot of games and occasionally we don't. I like what I've seen when were ready to play hopefully that will become the norm.

Last edited:

Rickster, next season we will have two big wing/forwards to help Marta on the blocks and on the Justine line....Marta will shine when she has their help....
95d006fe-1486-4c5b-b741-d150d12a2ef0-11282020_UT_WKU_GameActionFirstHalf_007.JPG

I like her when she plays the game that she is capable of playing as a freshman. She really played well against Bama did a lot defensively against Walker on many possessions. She stayed inside the team concept didn't try to drive it against a quicker player. She is like any freshman needs time to adjust remember Horston last season and Horston this season. I think we'll see Marta improve dramatically because she will have guidance from the coaching staff and their fitness and nutrition staff. She is a skilled player that needs experience.

Some people like the class coming in and some say not rated high enough. I hope we have our own version of Williams, Schofield, and Bone in this class. They were the players that made it easier by winning for Barnes to get the five star players in here for the men's team. I am hoping this incoming class proves to be the bridge that gets Tennessee back in the National Title, SEC title, and top ten nationally in the next couple of years. Going to still be some ups and down this season we need quicker guards, more overall consistent play and better post play. Were getting it in a lot of games and occasionally we don't. I like what I've seen when were ready to play hopefully that will become the norm.

I’m one that is excited about this class. From what I’ve seen they are all skilled, hardworking, high IQ players. Great foundational players. 3 out of the 4 are averaging a double double I believe. When’s the last time we had a recruiting class with 3 players averaging double digit rebounds?

I also believe the rankings on the women’s side are far more subjective than the men’s. You get outside of the top 5 recruits and I don’t see much difference. It’s mainly about recruiting the players who fit your system and who have a winning attitude.

Rickster, next season we will have two big wing/forwards to help Marta on the blocks and on the Justine line....Marta will shine when she has their help....

I think some people are being unduly harsh on Marta because she is being asked to do a lot of different things, and is carrying a high load for a freshman. But she is not really a guard though she handles the ball a lot and makes some nice passes. I compare her more to Mimi Collins, who was also kind of a hybrid "point forward" type of player. Mimi had the benefit of a full pre-season and none of the covid disruptions and did not have to adjust to a new culture. Even with that, she made a lot of mistakes and was not all that impactful until later in the season when she started to find her way. And her role was much more limited than what Marta is being asked to do. Next year should be Marta's break out season but she is doing quite well all things considered.

I think everyone knows your and Darth's opinion of Marta based on previous posts. No surprise you would take my post and make fun of it. Just providing a differing point of view.
Didn't know you were serious!!

Good analysis, Madtownvol. Also, I heard one of the Alabama game announcers say that Alabama should have tried a full court press on the LVs. He said that is how GA defeated the LVs and how LSU almost did also. He said that the LVs are difficult to beat if a team allows them to run their half court offense. What do you think?
this proves the point. how long has it been since ANYONE said the LVs are difficult to beat if you allow them to run offense? A decade? Heck posters even wanted Pat to evolve on offense. Kelly is definitely coaching a team of players under one system. Beautiful to see.

I think everyone knows your and Darth's opinion of Marta based on previous posts. No surprise you would take my post and make fun of it. Just providing a differing point of view.

To be clear, I wasn't making fun of you Rickster...

VN Store

Back