The QB Debate (Week 13)

If you think KC showed great arm talent, you probably shouldn't be critiquing QBs. We had a couple of really nice deep plays made by our WRs. Chryst missed some easy throws, and he threw a couple of really bad balls that were very costly. Not piling on, but there's a reason he's the backup.

The longest pass I saw was to Calloway on the right side. Calloway and the DB were fighting for the ball but it was not underthrown. Both players were in stride when they went up for the ball. Chryst may not have the arm strength as JT but to say as one poster claimed that he did not have SEC caliber arm strength is wrong.

There are some serious backup QB worshippers on this site. They completely ignore facts, logic and reality to further their agendas. Our QB has garnered great praise from many "experts" and is playing much better. It did not seem to help KG after the first couple of drives with his supposed ability to quickly read the defense and make the right decision. Why is there such hatred for Jarrett Guarantano? Is it simply because he was recruited by Butch Jones, so he is a fringe fan favorite whipping boy?
its obvious why.......

Pruitt specifically said the game plan did not change at all w/ KC at quarterback. Just FYI.

I'll add this to your post. Pruitt may not tell us exactly the way it was when the thing went down. I also remember Pruitt saying we could do more things when KC was at QB. At least one thing is true for sure. The game plan never changes on offense because it seems we forget from one week to the next what worked in previous weeks and do not intergrate them into the following weeks games. Oh, unless it is the long ball.

Reactions: all_volz
Hey, I agree that JG is a better QB for this team, but with a solid SEC caliber O-line, I can't say which QB would start. I honestly think KC is a damn good QB.

I don't think KC is good at all. He looks good because it takes the defense a series or 2 to adjust to his style. The defense watches film on JG all week, who has a very different style than KC. Calloway had a wide open TD (on KC's first int) if KC would have held that ball a second longer. With KC in there, I knew we did not have a chance to come back in the 2nd half.

The longest pass I saw was to Calloway on the right side. Calloway and the DB were fighting for the ball but it was not underthrown. Both players were in stride when they went up for the ball. Chryst may not have the arm strength as JT but to say as one poster claimed that he did not have SEC caliber arm strength is wrong.

I said it and I stand by my opinion based on his performance in the game yesterday.

It’s my opinion that KC doesn’t have the arm strength to play in the SEC. You can disagree with me but I’m certainly entitled to my opinion ( as your entitled to your opinion too) and just because you disagree doesn’t make my opinion wrong.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
We were never going to win a shootout with Missouri; this team is not capable of putting up more than 30 points in a game. The defense had to hold them to less than their average of 29 ppg for us to have a chance.

This is true we don't score over 20 points much and don't pass for more than 200 YPG. We don't matchup with gunslingers and Shurmmur had 400 yards passing last year against us and we have freshmen corners.

Because our staff has a butch like fascination with guarantano

Your statement is correct. This is why I know that for the long term, Pruitt is not the answer
I truly believe that had Keller played against USC, we would have won already been bowl eligible
Thus, Pruitt doesn't play the best player always. A coach that wants to win MORE will field the best players.
Saban plays his best players. He doesn't play that

The best pass he threw was to Jennings in zero coverage (without a deep safety) that’s an easy ball to complete.

Even so that doesn’t make him an SEC QB.
Not to mention one of them had about 17 seconds of air time even the camera guy lost it it was flying so slow.

At least with KC we scored points. With JG at QB it looked like a shutout....the kids has no elusiveness for sure. Same line as JG played with but how many times did KC take a hit or just fall to the ground. Remember when we played Bama you guys said KC didn't play against the same team as JG. JG has been serviceable but lets face it when KC came in the game plan changed somewhat.
Yeah, ducks started flying everywhere. I'll give KC this he throws a very catchable ball, to the defense.

Reactions: k-town_king
Let me try this again. With a lot of teams some kids are kept out for OTHER REASONS than someone is better than them. Pruitt made a decision on the basis that JG would get better as the year went along. I don't think it had anything to do with "IF" KC was a better QB or would be at the end of the year. KC was brought in to fill a void and that is what he has done. Some things I disagree with Pruitt about. I'm not sure all things he says after a game is exactly the way it went down. JG is lacking badly in some necessary things that are required to play in this league and getting the right read and getting ball out is one of them. I look for him to have tough competition in the spring and maybe get beat out. This QB play cannot continue or it will be to Pruitts detriment.
I agree that JG has shortcomings and may not even be our best QB option for next year depending on Shrout and any newcomers but it is clear Chryst also has shortcomings and, overall, is not clearly better than JG. Does he read defenses better, have better pocket presence, and get the ball out quicker? Yes. Does he have accuracy issues and turn the ball over? Yes. Remember that when you stir up all these attributes in a pot and decide on the best QB overall it comes down to two main factors. Who can lead the team to points and who can protect the ball since not protecting the ball can both stop our team from scoring and give the other team points. So to me it appears we have two QBs that are pretty even when you step back and look at the big picture so they decided to go with the guy that has 2 more years here. To me that makes sense but there are clearly a lot of different perspectives on this. Of course only 1 matters and that’s Pruitt’s. If Chryst protected the ball better he would probably be starting. That’s hard though because we are forced to throw due to no running game.

I agree on the arm strength. If you have a strong enough arm to get a scholarship to Stanford than you have a good enough arm for any Power 5 school. Arm strength is one of the lowest indicators of success though. Per NFL standards Peyton didn’t have a strong arm and didn’t throw a great spiral either. He worked out pretty well. Contrast that with JaMarcus Russell who had a cannon and it got him paid but he did nothing with it.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
We aren't good enough to overcome turnovers. JG, who will be back next year, doesn't turn it over much and is improving. KC has shown he is a quality backup and not superior overall to JG. If our line play improves and it will, JG will be a very solid QB for us next year. Better days are coming and winning will qulech a lot of our belly aching over who should be starting. Trust our coach. GBO

We aren't good enough to overcome turnovers. JG, who will be back next year, doesn't turn it over much and is improving. KC has shown he is a quality backup and not superior overall to JG. If our line play improves and it will, JG will be a very solid QB for us next year. Better days are coming and winning will qulech a lot of our belly aching over who should be starting. Trust our coach. GBO

How about understanding defenses well enough where you occassionallly can see a blitz coming then you wont get "bulldogged" very often instead of 5 times a game.
Watch the play again. Chandler tried to block the same defensive player that was already engaged. As soon as the Mizzou guy got by him he lowered his head because he knew he should have blocked the Defensive End. That is not on JG!

Reactions: k-town_king

VN Store

Back