Kara Lawson emerges as a leading candidate for Duke job

This is a terrible argument. Women’s basketball barely existed when Pat started coaching. It certainly wasn’t anything close to the game we see today. For that we have Pat to thank. It was not at all uncommon for coaches to have little or no experience at that time.

Now it would be almost unheard of to see someone hired at a P5 school with no prior coaching success at the college level. The few times I can think of really haven’t gone very well.

It wasn't a terrible argument at all, you just switched the argument. The prior poster's point was that a coach can be successful without experience, like Pat was. Whether or not it's "uncommon" or "unheard of" to hire those coaches is irrelevant to that.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
We'll see what she can do there in the past it has been a place where you could recruit very well. The teams never were as good as the talent they had as the last coach was not a good one. If she can recruit the same then look for her to be successful as nothing makes a great coach like being able to recruit the top players and knowing what to do when you get them.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Umm those are as players, not coaches, which is the reality that we’re in right now.

And let’s be honest here, Kellie was an important piece in those championships but she also had the luxury of a once in a generational talent on her team in Holdsclaw......Lawson had to play against a once in a generational talent in Taurasi.

Still wanted Kara here :)
Taurasi at uconn still does numbers on me couldnt stand her we went 1-6 against uconn during that time

Lot of posters giving her some dubious coaching skills, including one giving her a higher basketball IQ than Pat! She isn't a 3 time NCAA champion, she has never coach a signal season, recruited, been on the recruitment trail, put a staff together, let alone developed a single player, yet this hoard of posters make claims about her that she will be a great recruiter, how she will be as a coach, her IQ, as if they know her! Kara was an excellent player, but even Michael Jordan might not be a great coach. She is an excellent announcer, and can break down the game as an analyst, but none of that is a quality resume make. Duke is a draw in recruiting on it's own because of the education it offers, so players will always go there, as the average graduate makes more than the better WNBA players a year, easily, yearly, and over a life span. But, she isnt going to walk in and dominate recruiting. Anyone who thinks so is just foolish. She deserves a chance, but UT needed a seasoned Coach, and a proven one. Kara was, and still is, neither.

I remember many Lady Vol fans stating what an awesome Home Run hire Vanderbilt made when they hired Stephanie White, another woman without any college head coaching experience. One person even said that the Vanderbilt basketball program would overtake the Lady Vols basketball program. That's how giddy some Tennessee fans were about Stephanie White.

Four years: 42-79 (.347) and SEC 13-51 (.203) Has never won more than four SEC games in a single season.
Bing-O!

Certainly not to bash Kara, and not to judge her NOW on her past ( as others are blindly doing) but, sadly, Kara wasn't ( other than a last second freshman(?) shot at UCONN) she really wasn't a step up in big game, you want the ball in her hands type player. Sadly she boarder on a bit of a choker. But, hey, remember her as a legend as y'all wish. Still I hope the best to her and hope she has what it takes, Duke with built in " hell yes you take that scholarship" appeal to the parents, and the STUDENT part of, Student Athelete, is a good, yet gamble, place for her, plus a league that lost it's, by far, best teams coach, and needs a team that can, be in the picture. She would have been a bust at UT following Holly, and Kelly had a huge bonus, she didn't have to take a first year team to tournament. Duke has a fan base that seems to accept never being IT, having never captured a title. UT is not a place to learn to be a coach, and Fulmer was wise to not put a legend in that position.

This site (especially the political forum where Franklin Pierce likes to hang out) is maybe the least ready of them all lol
Amen. They don’t even want to recognize how their bigotry hurts recruiting. I know this as a fact, not an assumption. When the best, most talented black kids start going to HBCU’s maybe they’ll listen then.

They will because they're busy looking someone just like Pat.. No insult but if they had hired Lawson those 2 guards wouldn't had left. Question is TN may not be ready for Blk coach.. Let's support Kellie she's here.
I don’t think they are.

:rolleyes: SMH. Tennessee has had many black coaches, unfortunately, most failed. If you look at Kellie’s bench, you’ll see two up and coming coaching stars - Jennifer Sullivan and Lacey Goldwire - who happen to be black.

If you look at UT’s history, they’ve always tried to hire the best coaches, regardless of color.

BTW, while Kara’s father was black, her mother is white.

They will because they're busy looking someone just like Pat.. No insult but if they had hired Lawson those 2 guards wouldn't had left. Question is TN may not be ready for Blk coach.. Let's support Kellie she's here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Franklin Pierce
:rolleyes: SMH. Tennessee has had many black coaches, unfortunately, most failed. If you look at Kellie’s bench, you’ll see two up and coming coaching stars - Jennifer Sullivan and Lacey Goldwire - who happen to be black.

If you look at UT’s history, they’ve always tried to hire the best coaches, regardless of color.

BTW, while Kara’s father was black, her mother was white.

while I know his tenure at UT didn’t end well.. Coach JJ Clark brought home some hardware and he lured some great talent to UT both black and white athletes who brought UT track and field back to prominence for awhile

Amen. They don’t even want to recognize how their bigotry hurts recruiting. I know this as a fact, not an assumption. When the best, most talented black kids start going to HBCU’s maybe they’ll listen then.
I pray that starts to happen. It’ll be such a glorious moment in sporting history.

BTW, while Kara’s father was black, her mother was white.
In America that makes you black...1 drop rule.

VN Store

Back