Kamara and Reeves Maybin trolling Butch Jones

This is the BS I don't understand. Fulmer was paid far more money by the University of Tennessee than anywhere else he might have been a coach.

In other words, the idea he was treated poorly is pure hogwash.

This has nothing to do with hate. It's called reality

We gotta get past this idea, "you make more money than me, a TON more, therefore I am entitled to treat you with disdain."

Whether you make $10,000 a year, or $10,000,000 a year, I should treat you with the same respect. That level of respect should be based on how good a person you are, how you are valued by society. Not your pay scale.

Fulmer's last years should have been purely a question of how well he was doing his job, how much potential he had to do it well in the future, and how the university could interact with him to maximize our chances of success in the football program.

Fulmer was complacent toward the end. But he was still a hugely talented head coach. We should've treated him better. And by that, I mean we should've kept the man as our coach, with a year off to reset his motivation, clear his head, and reenergize.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I think everything Tennessee did regarding Phil Fulmer was fine. They just screwed up replacing him.

The "disrespect" is mostly from a portion of the fan base who chooses to not accept reality.

That reality is that the Phil Fulmer era is the best Tennessee football you all have been alive to see. Period. Point blank. Next case. The likelihood is you won't live to see anything that consistently good again.

It was his time to go. He needed to go. Sending him packing was not wrong in any way. All good things must come to an end.

And the Phil Fulmer era was a "good thing" that should be celebrated instead of mocked.

When another dude comes along and comes close to achieving the same level of success....maybe then you can choose to mock away.

Until then, IMO, one looks like a fool tearing down the most successful head football coach you all have been alive to see. I don't understand how some of you could be subjected to what you have been for the last decade and still make fun of him.....you know.....the guy who actually won games.

JMO. TIFWIW. blah, blah, blah.

Reactions: 14 people
I think everything Tennessee did regarding Phil Fulmer was fine. They just screwed up replacing him.

The "disrespect" is mostly from a portion of the fan base who chooses to not accept reality.

That reality is that the Phil Fulmer era is the best Tennessee football you all have been alive to see. Period. Point blank. Next case. The likelihood is you won't live to see anything that consistently good again.

It was his time to go. He needed to go. Sending him packing was not wrong in any way. All good things must come to an end.

And the Phil Fulmer era was a "good thing" that should be celebrated instead of mocked.

When another dude comes along and comes close to achieving the same level of success....maybe then you can choose to mock away.

Until then, IMO, one looks like a fool tearing down the most successful head football coach you all have been alive to see. I don't understand how some of you could be subjected to what you have been for the last decade and still make fun of him.....you know.....the guy who actually won games.

JMO. TIFWIW. blah, blah, blah.

Some pretty good points.

I'd add the Majors/Fulmer feud in there. That makes it even easier to explain why some felt the way they did toward Phil. While they could be happy for the highlights he brought, they didn't mind throwing rocks when he slipped up.
Right, wrong, or sideways.

Reactions: 1 person
Some pretty good points.

I'd add the Majors/Fulmer feud in there. That makes it even easier to explain why some felt the way they did toward Phil. While they could be happy for the highlights he brought, they didn't mind throwing rocks when he slipped up.
Right, wrong, or sideways.
Yup there was a percentage that while not necessarily wanting Fulmer to fail wasn't all teary eyed when he got canned. They saw it as the chickens finally coming home to roost.

Personally I hate the way it ended but it Fulmer needed to go. Cut coming back bought him time but lazy recruiting stagnation, and the arrival of Meyer, and Saban was his undoing. Like Bobby Bowden the game had passed him by.

We gotta get past this idea, "you make more money than me, a TON more, therefore I am entitled to treat you with disdain."

Whether you make $10,000 a year, or $10,000,000 a year, I should treat you with the same respect. That level of respect should be based on how good a person you are, how you are valued by society. Not your pay scale.

Fulmer's last years should have been purely a question of how well he was doing his job, how much potential he had to do it well in the future, and how the university could interact with him to maximize our chances of success in the football program.

Fulmer was complacent toward the end. But he was still a hugely talented head coach. We should've treated him better. And by that, I mean we should've kept the man as our coach, with a year off to reset his motivation, clear his head, and reenergize.

Who’s ever even attempted that one year sabbatical thing...much less pulled it off successfully? Were we going to pay Fulmer for that season? Pay Chavis his salary? Fulmer’s recruiting had already slipped. How much would his one year recovery period have been used by Saban, Meyer, Richt et al? “Their coach had a breakdown! You want to join that?”

Reactions: 3 people
The screw up was Hamilton giving the keys of a Ferrari to a kid that just passed Drivers Ed. It still baffles me that Hamilton didn't see the potential of Patterson. He already had a very impressive resume and was jumping at the opportunity to come to Knoxville.

I still get sick thinking about what could have been.

Reactions: 2 people
Yup there was a percentage that while not necessarily wanting Fulmer to fail wasn't all teary eyed when he got canned. They saw it as the chickens finally coming home to roost.

Personally I hate the way it ended but it Fulmer needed to go. Cut coming back bought him time but lazy recruiting stagnation, and the arrival of Meyer, and Saban was his undoing. Like Bobby Bowden the game had passed him by.

In an odd way, Cut coming back actual hurt Phil and the program. It showed fans even more why Phil needed Cut but it also extended Phil which didn't make things better either.

As 99 said. Firing Fulmer wasn't the issue. It was the circus following it.

The screw up was Hamilton giving the keys of a Ferrari to a kid that just passed Drivers Ed. It still baffles me that Hamilton didn't see the potential of Patterson. He already had a very impressive resume and was jumping at the opportunity to come to Knoxville.

I still get sick thinking about what could have been.

Kiffin was the exact opposite which is normally what gets hired after a firing. Right or wrong

In an odd way, Cut coming back actual hurt Phil and the program. It showed fans even more why Phil needed Cut but it also extended Phil which didn't make things better either.

As 99 said. Firing Fulmer wasn't the issue. It was the circus following it.
Yup we are still paying for Hamilton's bad judgement to this day. The man had no business managing a Hardee's let alone a CFB blue blood program.

Reactions: 3 people
Yup we are still paying for Hamilton's bad judgement to this day. The man had no business managing a Hardee's let alone a CFB blue blood program.
Not at all.
Follow that with the next 2 cats and you have a decade of miserable.

True but age alone should have disqualified him imo. Not to mention the red flags from his time at Oakland.

I'm not arguing he was the right choice. Just that they go the opposite direction from those fired.

Fulmer to Kiffin
Kiffin to Dooley
Dooley to Jones
Jones to Pruitt

Mere clickbait by so-called sportswriter. You think football players don't ever joke to one another about what coaches say & do? :whistling:

This...all players do. One year at football camp we had skits for each class. My senior year we trolled our coaches so hard. From how one walked swinging his hips, to catch phrases, to one coach who always had cornstarch for chaffing. (Player came out grabbing his junk and as he moved it tons of powder fell). It's part of it. Its a big family all family makes fun of each other.

This thread is yet another example of why Tennessee fans are perceived by the nation to be the worst fan base in all of college football.

Butch Jones is gone (good) and there is an entirely new football coaching staff and athletics director.

Tennessee fans should be focusing on the upcoming football seasons, instead of reaching really hard every day to find a new way to bash a former football coach.

Reactions: 6 people
This thread is yet another example of why Tennessee fans are perceived by the nation to be the worst fan base in all of college football.

Butch Jones is gone (good) and there is an entirely new football coaching staff and athletics director.

Tennessee fans should be focusing on the upcoming football seasons, instead of reaching really hard every day to find a new way to bash a former football coach.

This may actually do some good.

Who’s ever even attempted that one year sabbatical thing...much less pulled it off successfully? Were we going to pay Fulmer for that season? Pay Chavis his salary? Fulmer’s recruiting had already slipped. How much would his one year recovery period have been used by Saban, Meyer, Richt et al? “Their coach had a breakdown! You want to join that?”

I don't know, Butchna. I don't know if it has ever been tried, anywhere in college football.

But it works in business. It works in academia. And a version of it works in the military (sending officers off to a school for a year).

Everything else you asked, that's just details to work out. For instance, the $$. Even if we'd kept Fulmer on full pay, and given Chavis full head coach pay for the year he took charge, we're still only talking an extra $3M or so. Heck, we paid significantly more than that in severance pays.

So I don't know if it would've worked or not, but it sure would have been worth a try.

I don't know, Butchna. I don't know if it has ever been tried, anywhere in college football.

But it works in business. It works in academia. And a version of it works in the military (sending officers off to a school for a year).

Everything else you asked, that's just details to work out. For instance, the $$. Even if we'd kept Fulmer on full pay, and given Chavis full head coach pay for the year he took charge, we're still only talking an extra $3M or so. Heck, we paid significantly more than that in severance pays.

So I don't know if it would've worked or not, but it sure would have been worth a try.

And I’ve read your material on here enough to surmise that you know the DIFFERENCE between the reality of big time sports and the real world. There’s a reason why no one’s tried it. :hi:

And I’ve read your material on here enough to surmise that you know the DIFFERENCE between the reality of big time sports and the real world. There’s a reason why no one’s tried it. :hi:

Essentially it HAS been done.

Bill Snyder @ KSU

Even Spurrier took time off to go rest in DC until he was ready to go again with SoCar. Urban Meyer took time off before OSU. There are many examples.

I don't think that's true.

I think people are people.

The sports world is unique, sure. So is a combat zone. So is academia. So is big business. And Hollywood. Deep sea fishing in arctic waters. Stunt work.

Every profession, every field, is different and unique. And yet, people are the common denominator they all share.

And where you have people. you have leaders who might benefit greatly from "a year away," to get their head straight or re-energize or gain a new perspective.

I think it is entirely possible that a sabbatical, in a case like Fulmer's, might have worked great.

But of course, we will never know now.

VN Store

Back