Kaiya Wynn to Tennessee :)

Larry Bird....Not real athletic, but a hell of a basketball player.
Magic Johnson.....Athletic, and a hell of a basketball player.

Generally, the super athletic player through high school, has been able to overpower their opponents with little effort. They were faster, could jump higher, and just a variety of superior abilities that made the game fairly easy for them....Often, but not always, they sometimes lack the basic fundamentals of the game that are needed when they meet up with athletic players that are basketball players too.

The less athletic player, to achieve their success, has mastered, not only the basic fundamentals of the game, but how to use these fundamentals to their advantage...They are adept at drawing a foul on an opponent, hitting shots from behind the line, from the elbow, baseline, or the easy lay up.

Our friend from the north won a lot of games and titles with players that would never win track championships, but could shoot lights out, while their opponents were missing a ton of lay ups...(Basic fundamentals)

The films I have watched on Wynn is she is very athletic, and has basketball smarts too....She can drive to the basket and can kick it out when covered...She was also making a lot of demon balls too (3 point)

To my eyes she looks fabulous....Put this girl with Striplin, and a few others to come, forget about it. We're all going to be happy (maybe not Garth) in the near future.

Lots to be happy about today....This great news, and the football team has also struck gold today, and all week with two 5 star kids and a couple 4 star kids, plus the number one running back from the Junior College ranks.......Hell of a good week to be a Vol.
You know, Game time, we have always been good at recruiting good and decent players , that's not the problem. BUT CAN WE develop these young ladies into the kind of players that dreams are made of ( Humprey Bogart voice inserted )?

Reactions: GameTime
Larry Bird....Not real athletic, but a hell of a basketball player.
Magic Johnson.....Athletic, and a hell of a basketball player.

Generally, the super athletic player through high school, has been able to overpower their opponents with little effort. They were faster, could jump higher, and just a variety of superior abilities that made the game fairly easy for them....Often, but not always, they sometimes lack the basic fundamentals of the game that are needed when they meet up with athletic players that are basketball players too.

The less athletic player, to achieve their success, has mastered, not only the basic fundamentals of the game, but how to use these fundamentals to their advantage...They are adept at drawing a foul on an opponent, hitting shots from behind the line, from the elbow, baseline, or the easy lay up.

Our friend from the north won a lot of games and titles with players that would never win track championships, but could shoot lights out, while their opponents were missing a ton of lay ups...(Basic fundamentals)

The films I have watched on Wynn is she is very athletic, and has basketball smarts too....She can drive to the basket and can kick it out when covered...She was also making a lot of demon balls too (3 point)

To my eyes she looks fabulous....Put this girl with Striplin, and a few others to come, forget about it. We're all going to be happy (maybe not Garth) in the near future.

Lots to be happy about today....This great news, and the football team has also struck gold today, and all week with two 5 star kids and a couple 4 star kids, plus the number one running back from the Junior College ranks.......Hell of a good week to be a Vol.
You know, Game time, we have always been good at recruiting good and decent players , that's not the problem. BUT CAN WE develop these young ladies into the kind of players that dreams are made of ( Humprey Bogart voice inserted )?
Think you mean of my fan club not for my fan club. Writing skills, reading comprehension whatever.
Atta girl. LMOA

Reactions: Lucy and GameTime

This is one of the measurements of Coach K that CHW failed at...advancement of individual skills and game.
We have to give Coach K a chance to show she can get measurable improvement out of players before we can even touch upon this subject. And not only the players, but herself as well.

Yes my friend, we have recruited a lot of wonderful athletic players, and some very good basketball players too...There is a fine line between the two, and both contributed equally to the banners that hang in Thompson, so let's leave it at that....

In my opinion, "the main reason" the LV program has fallen back into the pack was the former coaching staff hamstrung the offensive side of the game....The pound the ball inside at all cost attitude kept the LVs playing 1980's plus ball, in the bombs away 2000's....

The game had changed to a wide open air attack, but our former coach (Holly) was determined to win with an old fashioned ground assault...It not only became predictable to defend what we were going to do each possession down the court, but it became boring to watch as a fan...Deadly daily double.

Coach Kellie is recruiting girls that can shoot the demon 3 ball, and based on some of her interviews with the press, the demon ball will be in play big time when the games begin again....

I have faith, that under the guidance of Kellie and her staff, our girls will develop into an effective offensive machine, while still instilling the defensive fortitude needed to be a player in the women's college basketball arena in the twenty first century.
_T5_7426_71.jpg

Last edited:
I'm with you GT
Coach K knows the three is a weapon
And I agree that the last administration was outdated in their thinking
It's a new day and a new way
Offense win games, defense wins championships...gotta be proficient at both

But I also know that a good post game opens the floor for the shooters and vice versa
Like I tell my athletes, play the whole game, not just part of it

I'm with you GT
Coach K knows the three is a weapon
And I agree that the last administration was outdated in their thinking
It's a new day and a new way
Offense win games, defense wins championships...gotta be proficient at both

But I also know that a good post game opens the floor for the shooters and vice versa
Like I tell my athletes, play the whole game, not just part of it
Dang coach , you and GameTime sound like war time Generals.
BOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM..

Reactions: GameTime
One-on-one with Kaiya Wynn and family

She seems like a VERY high character kid from a high character family! Really good article! Thank you to Maria Cornelius for a really thorough article.

My favorite part about this player 😎

While she is relatively lowkey, she will try to add a few teammates to her class at Tennessee.

“My friend, Brooklynn Miles, I’ve been in her ear,” Wynn said of her AAU teammate at Kentucky Premier. “Tamari Key’s sister (Teonni), I’ve been talking to her, too. I am trying to get both of them to Rocky Top. I’m not that super pressing anything, but that would be nice. I talked to Sara Puckett, too.”

THIS:
Kaiya Wynn is a five-star recruit – and the second five-star for Kellie Harper in the Class of 2021 with the commitment of Karoline Striplin, a 6-2 forward from Hartford, Alabama – with a low-key approach to the whole process. She didn’t release lists of schools or engage much on social media.

“Kaiya didn’t want to have a huge social media following,” her mother said. “She felt like her focus should be on the game and her love of the game and getting better. Her dad was her trainer and her coach outside of high school. They were connected in that way.

“It’s more about what you’re doing and the internal gratification and the goals you’re setting for yourself and that doesn’t necessarily include the outside world. For her age group, it was really intriguing to see her approach it that way.”

I now like this kid more than ever. Focus internally on the task. The healthy approach to social media, including this forum, that any elite athlete must have. This kid and these parents will definitely not be run off by anything a few dozen of us old curmudgeons have to say, and of course no one ever really is. Only in the imaginations of those who just must imagine themselves involved in the personal and emotional lives of the players and families. Which ironically is much more a red flag for recruits and families than any criticism of the kid's on court potential or performance.

Also, I really like the humility of not making her announcement a huge social media event complete with music, brackets, etc. Like these damn gender reveal extravaganzas, these are beginning to be offputting to me. I love the grounded, low key modesty. Seemed to enjoy surprising those who actually matter, the coaches, more than self aggrandizing in a twitter show.

I like that one of her goals is to improve as a 3 pt shooter. We need that very, very badly. Hope she has a great, injury free Sr season (sure hope that happens at all) and can't wait to get her here.

what a delight to read a well-written thorough article on an athlete and her family. Maria brought us a wonderful visual, of course her family's willingness to participate was essential, of a young woman and her family.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Amen, glv! Kaiya sounds exactly like the type of player we need. Remember Kellie's mantra of "I don't do drama"? Keyen seems to fit that mold, too. In all honesty...and without naming names...there were several talented players in the portal (from other schools) who chose other programs but who also had some negative baggage attached. Those problems may have just been confined to their previous situation or they may reside in the individuals. I'm happy to let other programs sort that out so we can focus on the job at hand.

Also love seeing Kaiya, Karoline, and others pitching in to draw more talent to strengthen thr program. It's one of the things that our northern acquaintances have done so well. I have visions of Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen riding around on horseback rounding up The Magnificent Seven or Clooney, Pitt, and Damon assembling Ocean's Eleven. Or Jerry Krause making the trades to bring Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman together to form the nucleus of the 90's Bulls (since our ladies may be more familiar with The Last Dance than old guy movies).

A couple of things that stand out to me from the article:

“All of our children have chores. They’re accountable and they’re expected to be responsible and do the things that they’re asked to do. She’s always had consequences.

“Donald reminds our kids that LeBron doesn’t have all of this to look forward to if Michael never did it,” K.K. Wynn said. “He doesn’t have anyone to emulate. That’s a big conversation that we have in our house that Pat is the goat. She’s the one who started women’s basketball on its trajectory and everyone after her modeled what she did. No matter how you look at it, that makes her the one who is at the top.

This girl's got good influences as well as skills and rankings.
I like this recruit!

So impressed with the Wynns, Darbys, Striplins, and all these other LV parents who have instilled such good character traits and work ethics in their kids. Got to love their appreciation of the legacy of Pat's and the Lady Vols.

And not overlooking the parents of our veteran players who have equally-good influences at home. It's a real honor for LV fans to be able to claim these families as our own! Now we need to give their children all the support we can to show our appreciation and help build lifelong great memories of a wonderful college experience playing before packed arenas.

Last edited:
Love the Mom's ongoing Pat devotion. I'm sure that's a rapidly diminishing recruiting factor and its good to keep that going as long as possible. Not to drag us backwards as a program, but as a good, legitimate building block of the program. Especially important when current success is dragging. Got to remind em, we once won alot!

But not too packed! Imagine going to a game with 3 seats btw you and the next guy. I kind of like it, can put my feet over the seat in front of me.

The six-foot social-distancing rule has always been in effect for bare feet.

Besides, you have to take into account the cardboard cutout fans that will occupy those seats until the C-19 restrictions are lifted.

(On tv, they can use CGI and canned crowd noise. Might even sprinkle in some celebs...Peyton, Tina Turner, Ernie & Bernie, Minnie Pearl, Dolly, Elvis, and a confused-looking Mars Blackmon).

Reactions: glv98
One-on-one with Kaiya Wynn and family

Kaiya:

Kaiya Wynn also is a two-time state pentathlon champion in an event that Ensworth hasn’t lost in six years. The event consists of the 100-meter hurdles, high jump, shot put, long jump and 800 meters, all completed in one day.

“It’s good for cross-training,” Wynn said, a considerable understatement.

Donald Wynn added, “We’re excited to see her go to the next level and really have an opportunity to get Tennessee back to where we think they should belong and will belong. We think the world of Coach Harper and the staff she has put together.”

Kaiya Wynn undergoes a personality shift when she steps on a basketball court. The agreeable and low-key teenager turns into a competitor.

“I definitely change a little bit,” she said. “I try to go out there and dominate really. I am kind of tough. I’ve got scars all over my body from people scratching me.”

“Those are love taps,” Donald Wynn said.

“This year I had to get stitches after a game,” said Kaiya Wynn, who got a bandage during the game and reentered. “I got elbowed in the face. I go out there and do whatever I’ve got to do to get the job done. I try to leave my mark and try to dominate.

“I am super excited to be a Vol. From now on, I only use orange hearts when I am texting. I am super excited to go to Knoxville to play with the UT jersey on.”

Welcome, Kaiya!

Last edited:
Kellie understands the legacy and tradition she represents, as do so many, including K.K. Wynn, Kaiya’s Mother.

Per article:

“One of the things that Coach Harper said that stood out to me as a parent is that she told Kaiya, ‘Pat recruited me, and I want you to be able to say that I recruited you.’ That was huge for all of the family,” K.K. Wynn said during a family phone conversation with this website. “A lot of folks do have their assistants (make contact), and we understand. You’ve got a lot of people that you’re trying to vet and build relationships with. She made it a point to tell Kaiya that she wanted to do what had been done for her.”

K.K. Wynn:

“I got to watch the evolution of women’s basketball and I think for Kaiya to choose a school that has so much rich tradition – I’m actually a Vanderbilt alum – so when you think about the black and the gold and the orange I never thought I could see her going to Tennessee,” Wynn said. “But being a big fan of women’s basketball, I understand the magnitude of an opportunity like that. I was extremely proud and relieved.

“I feel like Kaiya is a hard worker, and everyone who has ever played at Tennessee knows how hard they have to work to play at that level. It’s the house that Pat built. That’s just synonymous with greatness.”

Last edited:
Just had time to read that article and I almost shed a tear. What a great family. They have obviously raised a young woman with a great head on her shoulders. The compliments they gave the new staff regarding their recruiting technique gives me a lot of hope.

Seems that the right kind of recruits are responding to Kellie really well. Looks like we have some really coachable players coming in 2021 so far. Can only go up from here! Can’t wait to see how much they all improve once they are in orange together :).

I didn't read the article, just these posts and they are fantastic. It's easy to see that the LV program is on the way back when you fans are not worried about a players ppg, but discussing the quality of character the player and family demonstrate. You will win games with high scorers, but you win championships with players of character.

VN Store

Back