Justin Wilcox emerges as candidate for Arizona State HC job

@PaulCalvisi: ASU Update: Source tells me tonight to "expect next ASU Head Coach to have HC experience. No coordinators.." That's per Patterson directive

per (ASU blog) House of Sparky

Sounds good.

Yep. I hope Wilcox gets his big HC chance, but I also hope it's after he's built our defense to the level that big time coordinators would jump at the chance to coach them.

I am still worried about Fresno state or a school like that out west. Just a guess but I hope Bama takes a hit instead of us with Fresno.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I am still worried about Fresno state or a school like that out west. Just a guess but I hope Bama takes a hit instead of us with Fresno.

He'd jump at a Pac-12 HC job. He might be able to afford to wait on MWC offers. With what he has to work with next year compared to the last two, he has to see himself parlaying it into BCS conference offers if he has any confidence in his own coaching.

Sirmon will be familiar with it by then.

I think when Wilcox gets a HC job, he makes Sirmon his DC. No insider info, just a guess.

Agreed. I hope they hurry up and hire someone, so this will be over.

For sure but I will not be surprised to see his name then mentioned at UCLA. That is what happens when a name is floated out there whether its a real possibility or not.

I think when Wilcox gets a HC job, he makes Sirmon his DC. No insider info, just a guess.

Maybe, but he also wants to make a name for himself, and he's not gonna do that being Wilcox *****. For instance, people question who runs Alabamas' defense. Saban or Smart. You see how many jobs are open and Smart doesn't have yet?

For sure but I will not be surprised to see his name then mentioned at UCLA. That is what happens when a name is floated out there whether its a real possibility or not.

That is part of an agents job, and classic Sexton, throw a name out and get more money. The more money a client makes the more money he makes.

Maybe, but he also wants to make a name for himself, and he's not gonna do that being Wilcox *****. For instance, people question who runs Alabamas' defense. Saban or Smart. You see how many jobs are open and Smart doesn't have yet?

If he stays at Tennessee when Wilcox leaves, this will be why.

Good post.

I think we are going to fine for next year unless something happens with Peterson. This will happen next year to a bigger degree if we have a good year.

Thanks. I agree 100% with the peterson trump card. I like u think we have at least 1 year left with him and just hoping for 1 more after that. We got spoiled by Chavis frankly not leaving until he had to, so would like that stability again.

I think we still have to worry about Belotti being hired and luring JW away with hopes of being HC in a few years. But before any of the immature get carried away that is a thought and I have no insiders texting me any info.

It doesn't matter if UT sucks or not. All Wilcox has to do to get the cherry jobs, is finish the job he is doing here. DD is giving him full support in recruiting this year (IIRC 16 Defensive recruits atp). ASUs defense sucks, they are a lot farther off than our D atp. They will never be able to recruit the players needed to stop the Offenses in that league. If he takes ASUs job he will be responsible for the whole team, and if they keep on sucking his head coaching career will be dead. Because of these reasons IMO he would be insane to take the ASU job. If he stays with us, and creates a dominate defense here, his career will take a Bob Stoops trajectory.

Reactions: 2 people
It doesn't matter if UT sucks or not. All Wilcox has to do to get the cherry jobs, is finish the job he is doing here. DD is giving him full support in recruiting this year (IIRC 16 Defensive recruits atp). ASUs defense sucks, they are a lot farther off than our D atp. They will never be able to recruit the players needed to stop the Offenses in that league. If he takes ASUs job he will be responsible for the whole team, and if they keep on sucking his head coaching career will be dead. Because of these reasons IMO he would be insane to take the ASU job. If he stays with us, and creates a dominate defense here, his career will take a Bob Stoops trajectory.

I would agree with you assuming ASU continued to suck but on the other side if Wilcox were to take the job and turn around that program he would be able to get any job he pursued.

You didn't read it on 247 because it wasn't there. That was my point. I'm glad to see you have subscribed though.

I didn't read it on 247. Read it on VQ from a guy who said he read it on 247. :) See, there is a perfectly good excuse for the misinformation.

Hard to say it would destroy his career if he didn't fully succeed. Weis and Dave Clawson seems to be doing ok.

VN Store

Back