Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has passed away

My post only appears one-sided because all of the holes that needed filling in your narrative were on one side. What you said is mostly factual, which is why I said it was more grounded in reality than some others. But you still ignored a lot in order to skew it. Adding the facts back is not a mischaracterization, it’s just correcting the record.

So, if you are saying that I see the Democrats as more reasonable than you see them, then sure, but that seems to be an incredibly low bar. If you’re saying I see them as more reasonable than Republicans, that’s a mixed bag that needs fleshing out.

I lived through the last roughly 20 years as a fairly politically aware and partisan republican. Democrats were infuriating. The way they treated W. Bush was shameful. The way they treated Romney and McCain was shameful. I disagreed with parts of their platform, but that’s mostly a wash.

But Republicans generally gave as good as they got. The partisanship was mostly symmetrical. This idea that they were innocent babes being picked off by raging Democrats is bogus. It’s no more truthful than saying that the Democrats were paragons of virtue.

So, while I agree that the exceptions to that balance more often than not involved Republicans being willing to take the high road, or Democrats going especially negative, those exceptions were not particualrly frequent and were what made the Republicans better representatives of me and mine.

But for the past 4 years, maybe longer, (the Garland nomination was just what made me take note of it) any attempt at being better has been abandoned by the GOP. And if your argument is that they were just trying to even the playing field, then they were stupid to try and they overshot the mark by a wide margin.
No argument about what you wrote.

One of the things I posted that I believe is true is that because of this "tit for tat" with new rules being adopted and the old ways of doing things being abandoned, that the process now has become so corrupted by the quest for power at just about any cost, that the Judiciary is rapidly becoming an extension of the other branches of government and is no longer a branch unto itself to serve as a counter balance when things "go off the rails", that the founding Fathers envisioned. Judges are more likely being selected now, more than ever, for political views and not for evenhanded judgment.

Because each party has their "sacred cows", (Abortion; 2nd Amendment) judges are voted for or against that litmus test. This process and the side show that it has devolved into is a sad commentary on our state of affairs and shows just how nasty people can let themselves become.

I don't like it.

No argument about what you wrote.

One of the things I posted that I believe is true is that because of this "tit for tat" with new rules being adopted and the old ways of doing things being abandoned, that the process now has become so corrupted by the quest for power at just about any cost, that the Judiciary is rapidly becoming an extension of the other branches of government and is no longer a branch unto itself to serve as a counter balance when things "go off the rails", that the founding Fathers envisioned. Judges are more likely being selected now, more than ever, for political views and not for evenhanded judgment.

Because each party has their "sacred cows", (Abortion; 2nd Amendment) judges are voted for or against that litmus test. This process and the side show that it has devolved into is a sad commentary on our state of affairs and shows just how nasty people can let themselves become.

I don't like it.

Is anything going to be fixed by ramming through a new justice now, in violation to the very rule the GOP took pains to say in 2016 was based on principle, not politics? And as I just pointed out, this is not a tit for tat situation. The last three escalations have come at the GOP's hand.

It doesn’t have to matter to you. I’m just point out for everyone else why what you called illogical is, in fact, logical.
You have yet to do so.

Keep trying if you wish. I will be delighted when you point out the logic of electing someone to leadership for any other characteristic besides ability to lead.

Reactions: AM64
And this is the thing with any arms race. Somebody needs to de-escalate. The last three moves have all been Republican moves: (1) they announced a BS rule in 2016 and blocked Garland from getting a hearing, (2) eliminated the filibuster for SCOTUS seats, and (3) won't abide by the very rule they announced in 2016. Now you tell me, who's escalating the arms race here?
Garland was bs. But both sides are showing their hypocrisy here. They have quite literally switched arguments. If it was wrong to block Garland then it would be wrong to block whoever Trump nominates. And yes the GOP has been the one escalating as of late. But the Dems started us down this path. We’re warned not to do it by Mitch. Harry and Chuck started this mess. Like i have told others, if you want to be mad at someone be mad at Harry and Chuck. And yes I am not surprised that the Dems would escalate it further. Mainly just pointing out this will be a stupid tit for tat that increases the number of justices every time we ping pong between parties. And that the Dems started this mess and kept escalating it while he warned not to. Now Mitch has gone all cowboy bc he realized the Dems have no respect for senate norms. He’s decided to play the game too. Many of the Dems on here act as though their party has no culpability here. When in fact they own the majority of this.

Ideally we want representatives who mirror our own values, beliefs and morals. Donald Trump has shown us which of those his supporters are willing to sacrifice in favor of political control. So far, it’s all of them.
Do you consider the president...any president...as a representative of the people?

Reactions: AM64
The GOP can end the arms race now and simply abide by the same 2016 rule they articulated. But if they don't, and the Dems win the senate and POTUS, it will happen. Better to be in an arm's race than a sucker playing by the rules while the other side acts without principle.
Screw the democrats. They showed their low life scum tactics with Judge Cavanaugh. There is one constant here and that the dems would do exactly what the GOP plans to do.

Is anything going to be fixed by ramming through a new justice now, in violation to the very rule the GOP took pains to say in 2016 was based on principle, not politics? And as I just pointed out, this is not a tit for tat situation. The last three escalations have come at the GOP's hand.
So you say. But you left out the treatment of Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearings. You haven't noticed, but that display pissed off a lot of people and now they are basically saying screw you and the horse you rode in on.

Is it right? No. Is it fair? No. But more than ever, elections, like actions, have consequences.

When the Democrats get back in power, be sure and keep track of their escalations, because in the quest for power that involves our political landscape now, there is absolutely no one who is going to step forward and say: "Stop. This isn't the way to do things."

The GOP can end the arms race now and simply abide by the same 2016 rule they articulated. But if they don't, and the Dems win the senate and POTUS, it will happen. Better to be in an arm's race than a sucker playing by the rules while the other side acts without principle.

The Dems aren’t going to expand the court. It’s an empty threat and a threat that will as always with their tantrums bite them in the ass.

So you say. But you left out the treatment of Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearings. You haven't noticed, but that display pissed off a lot of people and now they are basically saying screw you and the horse you rode in on.

Is it right? No. Is it fair? No. But more than ever, elections, like actions, have consequences.

When the Democrats get back in power, be sure and keep track of their escalations, because in the quest for power that involves our political landscape now, there is absolutely no one who is going to step forward and say: "Stop. This isn't the way to do things."

Oh dear God, did they ask Kavanaugh tough questions? Heaven forbid that tough questions be posed in a job interview for a lifetime position.

Reactions: bnhunt
It’s not hard to explain , she’s a crazy left wing activist with heavy ties to DC and the left coast that thought she “ could make a difference “ . The eyes never lie .
So she waited around for 35 years as this covert liberal operative for just the right moment to claim that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her all while receiving no financial benefit whatsoever and all while subjecting herself and her family to unrelenting scrutiny and ridicule from the Right? Sounds plausible.

Last edited:
Oh dear God, did they ask Kavanaugh tough questions? Heaven forbid that tough questions be posed in a job interview for a lifetime position.
They asked questions that attacked his character and had nothing to do with his decisions from the bench. It was a cowardly quest to sway votes because they had nothing else. It was motivated by fear he would be a swing vote regarding future cases involving abortion, their sacred cow litmus test.

Speaking of abortion, that's how I would classify Dr. Ford's testimony about her faded recollection of some event that happened sometime, somewhere, with absolutely no corroboration. At best she is a nut job who was duped to come forward with the flimsiest of stories, with which the Democrat Senators involved in the hearing, made as much hay as they could to the detriment of Kavanaugh's personal and professional reputation. There is no bar that is too low to which "those people" will stoop.

Then let's take a look at Sen. Harris' championing of poor dear Dr. Ford and her "courageous stand" for all those #metoo" victims.

Oh, you mean she didn't hold the same stance when it came to her running mate and his episode with Tara Reade? You mean she changed her mind about his racisim and rape?

Tells you all you need to know about Kamala Harris. Give her an offer of power and there is no one she wouldn't screw

over.

Stop acting like it was business as usual.

They pushed stories fabricated “gang rapes“ from high school parties that no one could/would verify.

Blasey Ford’s testimony was ridiculous, but the Democrats and media pushed that Julie Swetnick garbage too. No one has forgotten that.

So your answer into what you call McConnell’s court packing fear tactic is to follow thru and pack the court when you get the chance! 4d chess there sister!

The top priority for Democrats is to do everything in our admittedly limited power to stop McConnell from filling a seat vacated less than 50 days before an election (I have some thoughts on how). McConnell and his partners in Constitutional crime are going to try to excite their base and scare swing voters with the prospect of a President Biden (that was fun to type) and a Democratic Senate “packing the court.”

What a dip **** article that was. I should know by now to not click on your idiot article links.

Reactions: AM64 and McDad

You're much more transparent than you think, hombre.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
So your answer into what you call McConnell’s court packing fear tactic is to follow thru and pack the court when you get the chance! 4d chess there sister!

What a dip **** article that was. I should know by now to not click on your idiot article links.
I love the “constitutional crime” line. It’s laughably inaccurate.

So she waited around for 35 years as this covert liberal operative waiting for just the right moment to claim that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her all while receiving no financial benefit whatsoever and all while subjecting herself and her family to unrelenting scrutiny and ridicule from the Right? Sounds plausible.
You call yourself a lawyer?

Would you ever put someone like Dr. Ford and her "recollections" on the stand for testimony ? You'd be laughed out of court, probably wouldn't be the first time either.

She has no corroboration for her story. She is very fuzzy, to put it mildly, about critical details like, I don't know, who was there? When did it occur? Whose house or where did this happen? Who did you tell at the time? Everyone she named as a potential witness denied all of her "facts." Her "fear" of flying to DC, but no probs going to Hawaii. Her second door on her home for "security" just happened to turn that part of the home into a rental unit with that, oh so convenient, second door. There was no "second door" on her home in Santa Cruz. All of her social media was carefully scrubbed before she came forward. Why do you think that was?

The very fact that she waited 35 years to come forward with this concocted story does not work in her favor, counselor.

The fame and adulation that she has acquired from this clown show has made her reputation where she lives and works, she has received many "awards" for "coming forward" and is treated like a celebrity in the liberal bubble where she works and lives. She did alright for herself, don't kid yourself on that one.

Last edited:

Why not abide by the 2016 plan the Dems articulated?

Reactions: InVOLuntary

VN Store

Back