Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has passed away

McConnell needs to get to work and see if he'll have enough support to stomach this fight before they go forward with naming a nominee. If they don't have 50 Senators then it's best not to even open up the can of worms
Republicans will lose senate and the presidency if they do. And Dems will eliminate filibuster and pack the courts.

You love quoting outlier polls that show the biggest leads which isn’t remotely how it works. I know how much you love polls but the latest poll in Maine is by the NYT and she is down by 5. It has consistently been a 3-4 point race. I don’t know why you set yourself up for disappointment
If I liked quoting outlier polls, I would use Rasmussen Reports (but it's Trump who uses them, isn't it?). There isn't a large sample of polls on Maine. I quote whatever is out there.

Republicans will lose senate and the presidency if they do. And Dems will eliminate filibuster and pack the courts.

They might lose 'em anyway so if that's the case then they might as well go for broke but it's not for me to say. Politically more than 3 Senators might say they can't support a lame duck nomination

I said at the time and I'll say it again now: Republicans screwed up the Merrick Garland nomination. They had a comfortable majority in the Senate. They should have let the nomination come to a vote and then voted him down. Now they'll look like hypocrites.

They might lose 'em anyway so if that's the case then they might as well go for broke but it's not for me to say. Politically more than 3 Senators might say they can't support a lame duck nomination

I said at the time and I'll say it again now: Republicans screwed up the Merrick Garland nomination. They had a comfortable majority in the Senate. They should have let the nomination come to a vote and then voted him down. Now they'll look like hypocrites.

If they don't move on a nominee here, Biden wins and appoints, I think we're even and the Dems don't move to pack the court.

That is basically what I said in an earlier post. I agree 100%. There is precedent for rejecting a nomination. There was no precedent for not taking any action at all on a Supreme Court nomination for 9 months... and nobody likes a hypocrite.

Given that McConnell blocked Obama's nominee in MARCH of 2016 since it was an election year, the precedent was established then. Given that we're in SEPTEMBER of an election year, precedent - established by McConnell himself - is for the Senate to not hold confirmation hearings so close to an election.

McConnell MARCH, 2016:

"It seems clear President Obama made this nomination not, not with the intent of seeing the nominee confirmed, but in order to politicize it for purposes of the election," McConnell said.

"I believe the overwhelming view of the Republican Conference in the Senate is that this nomination should not be filled, this vacancy should not be filled by this lame duck president," McConnell said.

"The American people are perfectly capable of having their say on this issue, so let's give them a voice. Let's let the American people decide. The Senate will appropriately revisit the matter when it considers the qualifications of the nominee the next president nominates, whoever that might be," McConnell said.

# # #

If Trump and McConnell try to ramrod a SCOTUS appointment, they're setting our country up for riots of historic magnitude.
Is that a threat?

Reactions: CABVOL and AM64
We already made the choice in 2016. We voted for Trump for this very thing along with a wall.

But what about in 2012 when Obama was reelected and his candidate didn't get a vote several months out from the end of his term? Didn't the American people vote for four more years of Obama? I'm confused on how it was okay to do that then but not okay now.

I doubt they give a ****.

LOL. When it comes to this forum, the overwhelming amount of hostility shown is from Trump supporters. It's an aggressive and visceral anger. I will ask again: Do you guys honestly consider your approach to politics to be more civil than the radical left-wingers that you like to make fun of? This thread has been nuts.
Yes to your question. We can't help it that the enemy (your side) deserves to die.

Reactions: AM64 and NCFisher
September 2018:

Sen. Lindsey Graham said in 2018 that the Senate would wait until the next election to vote on a Supreme Court pick should a seat become vacant during the last year of President Donald Trump's term.

In politics that was a lifetime ago and there are videos of every Dem leader saying one thing and turning around to do the opposite. Politics is like recruiting in football , it’s fluid and situations change . Lol

Reactions: AM64 and Rickyvol77
But what about in 2012 when Obama was reelected and his candidate didn't get a vote several months out from the end of his term? Didn't the American people vote for four more years of Obama? I'm confused on how it was okay to do that then but not okay now.
Nah,we voted for senate to stop it

VN Store

Back