Just watched the video explaining the goal line play

Maurer may not be able to finish this season out. Unfortunately, we may be forced to play JG. Pruitt is likely smart enough to not throw him under the bus publicly knowing he may be pressed into service. Every pundit in the country, every person I know who understands football and watched the game, everyone with even a minor bit of knowledge who has seen that replay agrees that JG screwed up massively.

My question still remains is did he knowingly try and play hero/go rogue, or did he misread the play that bad. Also, which is worse, a QB who can't execute that play or a QB who ignores the play for selfish reasons?
The world may never know and Pruitt is smart enough not say "My qb still don't know what plays he's calling"

Wish I never watched that. Just pisses me off even more that we had a good play lined up and JG takes it upon himself. Not gonna rip him too hard, but he just needs to transfer. His playing time here is done, I wish him the best

More importantly and I don’t think anyone has called this out yet: we lined up line against line man against man. We new we were coming and so did they. Tennessee absolutely killed the line of scrimmage to set the play.

More importantly and I don’t think anyone has called this out yet: we lined up line against line man against man. We new we were coming and so did they. Tennessee absolutely killed the line of scrimmage to set the play.
I thought this too, they attacked that line like men, not the boys we’ve been used to watching.

This is what has been happening all year with JG. The coaching staff does not know which play he will run once the ball is snapped. JP has yelled at him multiple times when he's come back to the sideline for missing opportunities.

The problem seems to be now, why is JT Shrout not picked up the offense any quicker than he has. He's been on the team for 2 years now. Why can Shrout not lead this team?

The Student or the Teacher is at fault, but which one?

I would say the student is the problem because the teacher certainly has Maurer playing well. Having the physical skills is only part of the equation. Some people just aren't leaders no matter who is teaching them.

I agree he went rogue, and we can all lay it on JG because he’s the QB and that’s what happens. I’m just mainly disappointed you never heard him saY “I tried to make a play for my team and it was bad call” because we have to assume he wanted to be the guy making the play. He just can’t read defenses and clearly they sold out the sneak. Such a waste of a great play call.

This is awful, but kudos to the line and CJP for not laying it all on the QB. (No way I’m gonna spell his name right, and not gonna bother to look it up.) I’m sure they wanted to throw him under the bus but they took the high road.
Apparently the whole team has taken the high road so far. All interviews of coaches and players are just attributing it to team miscommunication.

Reactions: Big Ugly Vol
Well, since Jones nor any of his OC's could get him to understand the mental part of the game and make good, timely decisions... and now two quality OC's under Pruitt have not been able to do it.... I'm pretty sure its the student. The guys who have coached JG have good to excellent "resumes" in their profession. JG has never "gotten it" regardless of who the coach was.

This is what has been happening all year with JG. The coaching staff does not know which play he will run once the ball is snapped. JP has yelled at him multiple times when he's come back to the sideline for missing opportunities.

The problem seems to be now, why is JT Shrout not picked up the offense any quicker than he has. He's been on the team for 2 years now. Why can Shrout not lead this team?
This has been a problem his whole career at UT. Other staffs protected him with safe, simple play calls and game plans. They apparently reinforced or created his risk aversion to such a degree that he won't push the ball down field if there's any coverage at all.

This is a 4 year problem... not a 1 year problem. The difference this year is that Chaney and Pruitt have tried to push him out of his comfort zone. He hasn't handled it well... and the team still can't win behind him.

Reactions: MadWorld
Apparently the whole team has taken the high road so far. All interviews of coaches and players are just attributing it to team miscommunication.

That is exactly what has to happen right now. What JG did was a mistake, not a purposeful act to sink the team. If Maurer is out, and I'll be stunned if he isn't, JG is the Vols most serviceable QB. The team knows it needs him to have a decent chance to beat SC and it knows it has to take the high road and support him through this crisis. In return, it would be very nice if JG would stop over thinking and over estimating his talent and simply run the plays Chaney calls to the best of his ability. As best I can recall, Shrout was available to come here because he was a stretch to make it at this level in college. I don't think he was highly recruited in high school by D1 programs and I am pretty sure he was viewed as a project. He has a live arm and a willing heart, but from the little I've seen he is no where near ready to lead an SEC team against the likes of SC or Missouri. JG can do it if he will just follow the script.

Reactions: Big Ugly Vol
That is exactly what has to happen right now. What JG did was a mistake, not a purposeful act to sink the team. If Maurer is out, and I'll be stunned if he isn't, JG is the Vols most serviceable QB. The team knows it needs him to have a decent chance to beat SC and it knows it has to take the high road and support him through this crisis. In return, it would be very nice if JG would stop over thinking and over estimating his talent and simply run the plays Chaney calls to the best of his ability. As best I can recall, Shrout was available to come here because he was a stretch to make it at this level in college. I don't think he was highly recruited in high school by D1 programs and I am pretty sure he was viewed as a project. He has a live arm and a willing heart, but from the little I've seen he is no where near ready to lead an SEC team against the likes of SC or Missouri. JG can do it if he will just follow the script.

It's not necessarily that he tried to sink the team that is concerning. What is concerning is if he believed he could play hero and call his own number and ignore what was seemingly a PERFECT play call, or if he could not read the defense and legitimately believed that was the best option.

I still do not believe JG gives us the best chance to win. I would rather see what we have in more live action with Shrout. JG is far too predictable, too easy to defend, and at this point possibly a massive liability if he is ignoring play calls in clutch situations.

What might be even sadder,is that the way our men blocked (yep, they are now blocking like men) if he'd told them it was a sneak he could have walked into the end zone, no need to jump.

It's not necessarily that he tried to sink the team that is concerning. What is concerning is if he believed he could play hero and call his own number and ignore what was seemingly a PERFECT play call, or if he could not read the defense and legitimately believed that was the best option.

I still do not believe JG gives us the best chance to win. I would rather see what we have in more live action with Shrout. JG is far too predictable, too easy to defend, and at this point possibly a massive liability if he is ignoring play calls in clutch situations.

I’m of the belief JG doesn’t trust what he sees on the field

I’m of the belief JG doesn’t trust what he sees on the field

That has been my concern for a long time. He appears to process visual information very slowly and he sounds like a perfectionist who tries to avoid making mistakes. Both issues will slow down processing and lead to missed opportunities in a position like QB.

VN Store

Back