Just how big is the Pitt game next Saturday?

Honestly, this game is probably the difference between taking a step in win total or similar results as last year. If we win this one and Florida we are in great shape heading down the stretch of the season.

We are really, really thin at rb and linebacker I feel. We really need to stay healthy.
Think we are 3 deep at RB. LB scary thin. May have to turn a rb to lb. Believe Toles was a rb out of high school. How that turn out?

Its a huge game if they want to go to a major bowl this year They will not win 9 or 10 without a win next weekend. I say throw up 45 points and roll the dice. I like their chances.

Absolutely we make a quick rush to judgment and get emotional and angry after a loss. You will see some fans saying Fire Heup if they lose to Florida and Pitt we are impatient and overreact. Heup needs 4 full seasons here.

I just don't think you can underestimate the importance of this game. If we win, our chances of an undefeated season and national championship remain intact. All games would be nationally broadcast, leading to a windfall of funding. The Tennessee economy will bloom and we'll replace Palo Alto as a destination for future generations of science and engineering.

If we lose, we're taking about a 5 loss season, minimum. The transfer portal turnstiles will sizzle, Nico will de commit, and Heupel will likely be gone. Guarantano will come back as QB coach. And then the river will flood and erode the very cornerstone of Neyland Stadium.

It's all riding on this one game.

Reactions: Coach_Z
TN has to beat Pitt to show it’s turning the program around, imo. Our defense concerns me though as we continue to give receivers a five yard cushion.

Hopefully we can get the Dub!
I didn’t see anything to say we improved from last year. Starters just seemed to go through the motions. Back ups seemed to play hard. Played like they had the game won before they hit the field. Hate scheduling bad teams just to buy a win.

Think we are 3 deep at RB. LB scary thin. May have to turn a rb to lb. Believe Toles was a rb out of high school. How that turn out?
We are limited and very inexperienced at rb. Linebacker is thinner bit both are problems.

I agree it is a big game. I also agree that they are well coached and athletic. However your claim I have zero knowledge of them what so ever is wild. I also watched them last night for one game struggle against a average at best WVU team like your expert eyes did. So slow you Pitt hype train.
Think Pitt is good. Top 15 team at best. Beat an average WVA team. Think Slovis looked good. Better bring it Vols. Pitt will take this game as a make or break game for their season. Same for us. Pick it up Hooker. Milton looked good.

Reactions: jonnon111
My question is how many Vols fans will show up. I will be there myself with 3 friends from college(all of us being UT grads). I am undefeated watching UT on the road. Granted I am born and raised in Nashville. So never lost while being at Vandy about 8 or 9 times. And was actually there at 21 in Gainesville back in 2003. I hope the streak continues next Saturday. If UT does win I hope we have 10K plus celebrating into the late night hours.

Also with Pitt having such a big rivalry win hope they come out flat. Win or lose I know UT fans are going to be loud. Just hope UT starts out fast so we can show just how great our fan base is and how loud we can be.

Also want the Pitt win in the worst way...Akron is just as bad or close to bad as Ball State. If UT is top 20 with UF coming to town the crowd will be insane. UT owes UF a beatdown, obviously. This Pitt game is so important to have the fans in a good frenzy.

It's a big game, in several ways:

1. It sets the early tone, as many have already said.

2. It can be a measure of progress. We lost to Pitt last year, barely. To beat them this year, at their place, would be a very good sign.

3. We're likely to be ranked come tomorrow afternoon. This will be our first Top 25 vs Top 25 game of the Heupel era. We need to win those types of games to get back to championship football.

4. It prepares us to beat Florida. Yes, Akron is in between, but no mistake: this is the ramp to beating the Gators.

5. We owe them one.

6. As others have also said, it is the next game. So for the next seven days, this is the biggest game of the season.

Go Vols!

What defense line outside of Alabama and Georgia would you say is better then Pittsburg?? I’m just stating it’s going to be a measuring game for our oline. If we can handle Pittsburg d line I don’t see why we couldn’t handle any team outside of bama and Georgia would you not agree with that?
The fellas at College Football News took the time to study the question, and came up with a ranking.

Pitt is on their list. But at #8, not #3. You ask who else could be better? Well, those fellas say:

Clemson, Wisconsin, LSU, Oklahoma State, and Baylor (in addition to Bama and UGa, as you noted).

Now, the list becomes a bit suspect when you consider that OK State just gave up 44 points and 546 yards to a MAC team. I don't care how bad the rest of the defense is, a top-10 defensive line should never allow that kind of production by the opponent.

So...these fellas could be wrong. Then again, Pitt is #8 on their list...so if they're wrong about some teams here, maybe they're wrong about others.

Anyway, Pitt's d-line is supposed to be good, yes. But not better than anyone in the country not named UGa or Bama. In fact, we personally will face off against three teams with better d-lines than the Panthers this year. If we're getting back to championship football, beating teams with good d-lines is a part of that path.

Go Vols!

College Football Preseason Defensive Line Unit Rankings: Preview 2022

It’s a big game BUT no one cares at the end of the year if you beat Pitt. Big game for momentum but again successful seasons are how you perform vs Florida, Georgia, Bama etc.
Pitt could very well be in the playoffs

What defense line outside of Alabama and Georgia would you say is better then Pittsburg?? I’m just stating it’s going to be a measuring game for our oline. If we can handle Pittsburg d line I don’t see why we couldn’t handle any team outside of bama and Georgia would you not agree with that?
LSU & Florida, possibly Kentucky also

Reactions: TnScooby
The fellas at College Football News took the time to study the question, and came up with a ranking.

Pitt is on their list. But at #8, not #3. You ask who else could be better? Well, those fellas say:

Clemson, Wisconsin, LSU, Oklahoma State, and Baylor (in addition to Bama and UGa, as you noted).

Now, the list becomes a bit suspect when you consider that OK State just gave up 44 points and 546 yards to a MAC team. I don't care how bad the rest of the defense is, a top-10 defensive line should never allow that kind of production by the opponent.

So...these fellas could be wrong. Then again, Pitt is #8 on their list...so if they're wrong about some teams here, maybe they're wrong about others.

Anyway, Pitt's d-line is supposed to be good, yes. But not better than anyone in the country not named UGa or Bama. In fact, we personally will face off against three teams with better d-lines than the Panthers this year. If we're getting back to championship football, beating teams with good d-lines is a part of that path.

Go Vols!

College Football Preseason Defensive Line Unit Rankings: Preview 2022
Sup bro? It's finally here!!!

Not agreeing with or defending him, but to be fair he said that we would face.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
You’ve touched on a point I made to my wife the other day…this schedule sets up better for UT than it has in decades. The big game early is the Pitt game, but it’s very winnable.

In years past, the schedule has been so front loaded and it was a shock to the system. Tennessee was never allowed to build up to hitting its stride. This year, as you said, they have some milder challenges early with Florida not being that great and Pitt looking a step below what they were last year.

So this team can gradually build momentum. Beat Pitt, then use Akron as a warmup. Should beat a mediocre Florida team that could already have a couple of losses and could be reeling. Then you’re 4-0 with an off week to prepare for LSU. They’re a bit of an unknown, but no one is predicting that they’ll be a top 25 team, so Tennessee could very well go down there very confident and get to 5-0.

Then you’re 5-0 heading into Bama at Neyland. You’re confident. You have momentum. You know you played toe to toe with them for 3 quarters last year before your depth gave out…and you’re better with more depth this year.

So much of college football is psychological. The schedule is so important in that realm. If UT can take advantage of the way the first half of the schedule sets up, it could be a very special season.

If I tried to explain this to my wife

1662210573670.gif

She knows nothing about football, but knew enough to stop in two seasons ago and see JG playing: “Why does that guy keep playing? You know you’re going to lose, right?”

Huge game because it's been a long time since Tennessee started 2-0.
Also, Heupel can show the Vols Football team has improved after the 2021 rebuilding year if the Volunteers defeat a good Panthers team in Pittsburgh which is on ABC.

The 2021 Volunteers in Rocky Top lost a winnable high scoring game to a great Panthers team because they got outplayed in the 4th Quarter including the Panthers defense successfully defended when needed.

All the hype you are typing after your first 4 word opening sentence is just being hopeful. I hope you are right, but I watched the Pitt game some while we were going through the motions. After the end of our practice, I watch them finish. I came away with a lot of respect for the way they get after the QB, their "D" is pretty good. Their O line ant too bad either. Their QB is much better than I expected. What I am saying is "we better be a whole lot better in both lines than I saw last night. AND the same old problem in the defensive back side is still there. Over the middle was wide open for Ball St. most all night long. From what I saw the Pitt game will be everything you expect. Hope we are more than we showed last night.
BVS is real. This is kinda where I’m at. IMO there is only about a 5% chance we start the season 5-0.

Reactions: firestorm
Huge game because it's been a long time since Tennessee started 2-0.
Also, Heupel can show the Vols Football team has improved after the 2021 rebuilding year if the Volunteers defeat a good Panthers team in Pittsburgh which is on ABC.

The 2021 Volunteers in Rocky Top lost a winnable high scoring game to a great Panthers team because they got outplayed in the 4th Quarter including the Panthers defense successfully defended when needed.
Ball spot says "hello". ACC Refs also chimes in a "Hello" The Ole Miss, Purdue and Pitts were determined by the Zebras on the field Of which on 2 occasions they were from the ACC.

Reactions: mpfvol
If we lose then it’s doubtful we beat Florida and we are looking at a 2-2 start to the season and likely a 6-6 or 5-7 season there is alot riding on the Pitt game. Heup will lose alot of support if he loses to Pitt and Florida.
No he won't

Sup bro? It's finally here!!!

Not agreeing with or defending him, but to be fair he said that we would face.
Every year, we spend 8 months waiting impatiently. The week that it arrives is like Christmas. Then we get the thrill of Tennessee football for 4 glorious months before the gloom settles in again. Heh.

He did say 'that we would face'. LSU is on that list, too, above Pitt. Bama...UGa...LSU. All defensive lines rated higher than Pitt. All on our schedule. I did answer his question specifically, just added extra content for free. :)

Go Vols!

Really big for the confidence factor, We go in there and smack Pitt at thier house it will charge up this team...I have no doubt if we are able to beat them we drill Florida...We need to drop about 50 on UF just to get the monkey off our backs.

Ball spot says "hello". ACC Refs also chimes in a "Hello" The Ole Miss, Purdue and Pitts were determined by the Zebras on the field Of which on 2 occasions they were from the ACC.

I don't disagree with the terrible calls however can't blame the Zebras for Tennessee failing to defend vs Purdue before Overtime, and in Overtime.
Also, Tennessee did have 1 final chance to defeat Ole Mississippi except didn't because the Ole Mississippi defense was able to defend when needed most.
Can't blame the Zebras for turnovers, and failing to execute critical plays in the 4th Quarter which happened in the Vols Panthers game.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
We haven’t beat a ranked team in a long time so forgive me if I’m a little skeptical about us going to Pitt and getting the win. Just like us beating Florida I gotta see it to believe it.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back