Just how big is the Pitt game next Saturday?

I don't disagree with the terrible calls however can't blame the Zebras for Tennessee failing to defend vs Purdue before Overtime, and in Overtime.
Also, Tennessee did have 1 final chance to defeat Ole Mississippi except didn't because the Ole Mississippi defense was able to defend when needed most.
Can't blame the Zebras for turnovers, and failing to execute critical plays in the 4th Quarter.
You are right. Situational football can be changed by calls on the field. Hooker's injury didn't help as well against Ole Miss as well as the snatch and grab TD in that Game.
Bottom Line we just need to take care of business.

Reactions: firestorm
We haven’t beat a ranked team in a long time so forgive me if I’m a little skeptical about us going to Pitt and getting the win.

Nothing wrong with being skeptical about the Volunteers defeating a ranked Panthers team in Pittsburgh since the flaw is the Football Volunteers haven't defeated a ranked team for a long time.

I'm optimistic the Volunteers have a realistic chance to defeat the Panthers in Pittsburgh however I'm not going to be a rose-colored glasses Volunteers fan because I'll admit that the Panthers also have a realistic chance to defeat the Volunteers.

Nothing wrong with being skeptical about the Volunteers defeating a ranked Panthers team in Pittsburgh since the flaw is the Football Volunteers haven't defeated a ranked team for a long time.

I'm optimistic the Volunteers have a realistic chance to defeat the Panthers in Pittsburgh however I'm not going to be a rose-colored glasses Volunteers fan because I'll admit that the Panthers also have a realistic chance to defeat the Volunteers.
It’s a toss up game no doubt and it’s a big game for the season could go either way. Pitt and Florida are the two biggest games on the schedule imo. I’m keeping the expectations low though. Some fans are going to be freaking out and wanting to fire Heup if we lose to Pitt and Florida and are 2-2 going into the LSU game. I won’t be though I will be disappointed too but not surprised we don’t have a good track record at all the last decade plus of beating quality teams like Pitt and Florida we lose far more than we win. I hope this team can change that though.

We haven’t beat a ranked team in a long time so forgive me if I’m a little skeptical about us going to Pitt and getting the win. Just like us beating Florida I gotta see it to believe it.
Literally beat Kentucky last year but whatever. That being said if we win this game I expect it to be really close. I think no matter who wins it will be by a low margin

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
Huge game because it's been a long time since Tennessee started 2-0.
Also, Heupel can show the Vols Football team has improved after the 2021 rebuilding year if the Volunteers defeat a good Panthers team in Pittsburgh which is on ABC.

The 2021 Volunteers in Rocky Top lost a winnable high scoring game to a great Panthers team because they got outplayed in the 4th Quarter including the Panthers defense successfully defended when needed.
We started 2-0 two years ago

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
We haven’t beat a ranked team in a long time so forgive me if I’m a little skeptical....
You have probably forgotten, but we beat #18 Kentucky just last November. And #21 Auburn a few years ago. As well as #11 Kentucky that same year.

It isn't like we have trouble beating ranked teams, especially teams that are perhaps a bit over-rated (as Kentucky often is lately, and Pitt may be this year).

We have had trouble beating Top 10 teams for several years. Here's hoping we're about to change that.

Go Vols!

Reactions: Volfan39
Huge game because it's been a long time since Tennessee started 2-0.

We started 2-0 two years ago
Two years ago, and five years ago, and heck six years back we started the season 5-0. Including wins over the gators and dawgs.

Folks know we've been through a tough Dark Ages the last 14-15 years, but they tend to forget there were some bright patches even in the darkness.

Go Vols!

Two years ago, and five years ago, and heck six years back we started the season 5-0. Including wins over the gators and dawgs.

Folks know we've been through a tough Dark Ages the last 14-15 years, but they tend to forget there were some bright patches even in the darkness.

Go Vols!
They ain't got their facts straight

But yeah

Since Fulmer left we still made it to 7 bowl games.

Well expect the fanbase to implode if we do lose because alot of them are thinking we should go 10-2 or 9-3 this season. My prediction is 8-4 or 7-5 the expectations are ridiculously too high this year.
I’m with you on this. I’ve been shocked all summer at the absurd notion that this team - while I am a HUGE fan - has the talent and depth on O Line and the entire D- to be able to win a very high number of grueling SEC games. I hope they win them all, but I’m not a dummy. I see pitt, Florida, SC, Ky, LSU all as tossups - and that’s with non significant injuries (which is impossible).
That typed, BEAT PITT

Reactions: sunnyvol79
I’m with you on this. I’ve been shocked all summer at the absurd notion that this team - while I am a HUGE fan - has the talent and depth on O Line and the entire D- to be able to win a very high number of grueling SEC games. I hope they win them all, but I’m not a dummy. I see pitt, Florida, SC, Ky, LSU all as tossups - and that’s with non significant injuries (which is impossible).
That typed, BEAT PITT
. 9-3 is the ceiling for this year imo would be a great season. 8-4 is doable I wouid be happy with that too and a chance to get 9 wins in the bowl game. 7-5 meh that’s not going to move the needle or get fans excited even though with a bowl win and going 8-5 that’s a improvement over last season. We go 6-6 and there will be questions raised if Heupel is the guy for the job, regardless though Heup needs thru 2024 four full seasons. Forget winning the East anytime soon but what we really need to do is put together a string of winning seasons something we have had trouble doing since 2005. Only in 2006-2007 and 2014-2016 have we had consecutive winning seasons and bowl appearances. Meanwhile Kentucky has made a bowl every season since 2016 now. We need stability and I think if nothing else Heupel will do that for the football program. But unfortunately alot of fans will want to run him off if he hasn’t won the East by year 4.

Last edited:
LSU & Florida, possibly Kentucky also
Don’t forget the other sec teams.. 🤦‍♂️Just bc they play in the acc don’t mean that dline isn’t good give credit were it’s due. Sorry I would take their dline over most of the sec this year. Don’t get me wrong Florida and lsu line probably does have more potential but right now I’d give the pitts dline the nod for Experience and being in the same system and familiarity.

The fellas at College Football News took the time to study the question, and came up with a ranking.

Pitt is on their list. But at #8, not #3. You ask who else could be better? Well, those fellas say:

Clemson, Wisconsin, LSU, Oklahoma State, and Baylor (in addition to Bama and UGa, as you noted).

Now, the list becomes a bit suspect when you consider that OK State just gave up 44 points and 546 yards to a MAC team. I don't care how bad the rest of the defense is, a top-10 defensive line should never allow that kind of production by the opponent.

So...these fellas could be wrong. Then again, Pitt is #8 on their list...so if they're wrong about some teams here, maybe they're wrong about others.

Anyway, Pitt's d-line is supposed to be good, yes. But not better than anyone in the country not named UGa or Bama. In fact, we personally will face off against three teams with better d-lines than the Panthers this year. If we're getting back to championship football, beating teams with good d-lines is a part of that path.

Go Vols!

College Football Preseason Defensive Line Unit Rankings: Preview 2022
I respect this a lot good research bro. All I was trying to say is it’s a good game for our oline early in the season it’s going to test them guys and give us an idea of where we are. So pitts dline is rated as a top 10 dline and who knows where that ends up at the end of the year so they are good . I’m excited bro, to see that matchup . Can our oline compete and impose their will?? If they do, we have a good indicator that we gonna do good in the sec this year.

Extremely big, because theyre not beating Florida. Gators dont look like an average team with a new coach.

Lines moving today are likely amateur. Sharps and professionals will make moves later this week and hours leading up to gametime.

Correct pro money does not get committed until game day. If they don’t like the odds on game day and they really want to bet the game they’ll just buy points.

It’s a toss up game no doubt and it’s a big game for the season could go either way. Pitt and Florida are the two biggest games on the schedule imo. I’m keeping the expectations low though. Some fans are going to be freaking out and wanting to fire Heup if we lose to Pitt and Florida and are 2-2 going into the LSU game. I won’t be though I will be disappointed too but not surprised we don’t have a good track record at all the last decade plus of beating quality teams like Pitt and Florida we lose far more than we win. I hope this team can change that though.
I agree with a lot of this post. I do think if we lose the first inkling of fans calling for Heupel’s head will start up. I will not be one of those. However next season I will be one that will require a jump in improvement if he wants to remain here at UT long term. In the 3rd year I’ve he loses to the usual big 3 and drops another one or two somewhere he’s not the long term answer at UT.

It is huge. No doubt about it.

It’s a tone setter going forward. Who are we? What are we going to be?

If our lofty predictions on the season are to come true, this one has to go in the win column.

This is a key road game where the running game has to take pressure off Hooker.

Hooker cannot force balls into coverage.

The defense has to get constant pressure on Slovis.

Make a couple of plays in the special teams area.

Can we win the LOS? That’s the key to running the ball, and getting pressure.

Reactions: Volfan1000

I would agree with all those reasons.

Also, the Volunteers have to win the turnover battle.

It's going to be an exciting high scoring game.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back