Just bring Butch back

That's boring. If we're going to do it let's do it right. Bring back Kiffin and at least we get some entertainment value out of that

I’ll get flamed for this, but I seriously think our best option at this point is probably just bringing Butch back. Plus it would save us money since we are already paying his buyout anyway. I just think Butch is about the best coach we are going to be able to get at this point. The guy lit it up with recruiting, loved Tennessee, gave us a couple 9 win seasons, won 3 straight bowl games, and broke our losing streak to Florida. We got impatient when we had a bad season in 2017, but looking back, firing him certainly looks like a bad decision now. We could perhaps keep Pruitt on the staff as DC and maybe even retain Chaney too.

Beyond dumb and points to an issue that most are ignorant about. Dobbs hid the Butch disaster for years. You are seeing the fruits of it now.

Butch was horrible. Dobbs made him look better than he was. Any good coach wins the east with Dobbs, Kamara, Hurd, and Derek Barnett on the same team
I think you are wrong. Butch was a good coach and would have gotten better with time. Dobbs was decent. That is why Butch played him. When we had Dobbs and Hurd on the field, we were doing pretty good.
Butch jumped Hurds ass for doing something stupid in a game and it hurt Hurds wittle feelings. He runs off like a cry baby. This did not help team chemistry. Butch was only doing his job.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
For the ones saying the only reason Butch had success is because of Dobbs, (which I mostly agree with), allow me to ask

Who went after and recruited Dobbs? Who gets credit for Butch having a "Dobbs" at QB?

Why doesn't Pruitt have a current "Dobbs"? Who is to blame?

Of course I think it's crazy and funny to even consider bringing Butch back but while he was here we did have the most success we've had in quite a while. We had a list of players we could brag about at the water cooler. We finally could rag UGA and UF about beating them. Football was back to being fun.............but,

Butch was a horrible gameday coach and didn't seem to know much about football honestly. He did more with less but then did less with more and cost us a handful of games himself. He should get credit for Dobbs and crew and the wins and any success he brought but he has his issues.

Smoking that cigar ruined my view of him completely and I think I would turn away the best coach if he left us in a hole, turned around and celebrated the Bama team he fetches stuff for destroying his us like that. Damn sure want no part of a mediocre coach that did it.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
No to boy butch, but in order for us to really get a good team we need to extend CP's contract for at least 7 more years($ too) the hiring of crappy coaches, the firing of coaches that are/ or have become crappy, this is what is killing us, need to extend the guarantee to CP, everything else will just fall into place. If you don't believe me, just read what the real experts have to say, many of them are on this very board.

Let's just have a weekly lottery...different fan wins every week and wears the headset. I'm itching to see the plays Jerry From Bulls Gap© would call.

Reactions: I40flyer
I’ll get flamed for this, but I seriously think our best option at this point is probably just bringing Butch back. Plus it would save us money since we are already paying his buyout anyway. I just think Butch is about the best coach we are going to be able to get at this point. The guy lit it up with recruiting, loved Tennessee, gave us a couple 9 win seasons, won 3 straight bowl games, and broke our losing streak to Florida. We got impatient when we had a bad season in 2017, but looking back, firing him certainly looks like a bad decision now. We could perhaps keep Pruitt on the staff as DC and maybe even retain Chaney too.
For the love of God! NO!

Are Stacey and Eunice still up in Bulls Gap? The different fan/headset post from VOL_Lyfe isn't as crazy as it first seems. How many think our W-L record would be any worse right now, or that it will be any worse after GA and BAMA?? The lottery would raise a lot of cash, maybe we could use that cash to hire one of the Really good Fan/Coaches!! It would be better than what we have now....

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
My wife and I were discussing the Tennessee coaching quandary this morning while eating our warm scones, and we just can't understand what Vols fans have against Butch Jones. Granted we didn't live here during most of his tenure, but what did everyone want him fired for? 5-7, 7-6, 9-4, 9-4, 4-6 with 3 bowl victories. Each year, he was on an upward trend until the final season. Lack of support and increasing pressure probably contributed to the poor final season. Recruiting classes were ranked among the best in the nation. Maybe that final season would have just been a hiccup, and they would have rebounded the next year. Would any of you wish to go back in time, keep Butch, and see how it would play out. We are just flumoxed by this seeing what Vols football has become after he was let go.
No Josh Dobbs exposed his lying a&&.

The second 9-4 team was worse than the first one. As more and more of his players came into and were developed in his program, the team got worse.

Reactions: Volatility
My wife and I were discussing the Tennessee coaching quandary this morning while eating our warm scones, and we just can't understand what Vols fans have against Butch Jones. Granted we didn't live here during most of his tenure, but what did everyone want him fired for? 5-7, 7-6, 9-4, 9-4, 4-6 with 3 bowl victories. Each year, he was on an upward trend until the final season. Lack of support and increasing pressure probably contributed to the poor final season. Recruiting classes were ranked among the best in the nation. Maybe that final season would have just been a hiccup, and they would have rebounded the next year. Would any of you wish to go back in time, keep Butch, and see how it would play out. We are just flumoxed by this seeing what Vols football has become after he was let go.

His downward trend started in the 6th game of the season of 2016. Was 18 months of suck.

VN Store

Back