Just bring Butch back

I’ll get flamed for this, but I seriously think our best option at this point is probably just bringing Butch back. Plus it would save us money since we are already paying his buyout anyway. I just think Butch is about the best coach we are going to be able to get at this point. The guy lit it up with recruiting, loved Tennessee, gave us a couple 9 win seasons, won 3 straight bowl games, and broke our losing streak to Florida. We got impatient when we had a bad season in 2017, but looking back, firing him certainly looks like a bad decision now. We could perhaps keep Pruitt on the staff as DC and maybe even retain Chaney too.
If you don’t know how contracts work, find your closest lawyer and have him/her explain it to you.

Reactions: malinoisvol
I was a Butch guy. Bought in and defended him. Ignored certain things like the Crowder situation, sided with him over Hurd... You get the picture. Once he went to bama, I lost all respect for him. He tried his best and it ultimately didn't work out. His being mad about it and running to bama, celebrating beating us, smoking the cigar with them after only referring to them as the red team as coach here is the deal breaker.

Butch was horrible. Dobbs made him look better than he was. Any good coach wins the east with Dobbs, Kamara, Hurd, and Derek Barnett on the same team
Butch was one helluva recruiter. But a terrible coach. Anyone wanting him back needs their head examined.

I agree 100% he should have never gotten fired anyway. He just had a rebuilding year and people have to realize look who he had at qb. I dont care if you had Urban Meyer he would lose with JG.

Do people not forget that during the Butch era, the SEC East was as bad as it's ever been and we never made it to the SEC championship despite having the most talented teams? He had his shot and failed miserably by not taking advantage of all the coaching turnover. We'd be having a lot more 5-6 win seasons now that the SEC caught up. Just look at his last season where we went winless in the SEC. Pruitt may not be the answer, but bringing back Butch may be the most ridiculous thing I've read on here.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
At this point Butch is better than Pruitt.

Sometimes things aren't as bad as they seem, but the problems with Butch extended into the admin, which is a large part of the drop off (into bottomless pit) that we have experienced. Yes, we should have played for the SEC title in 2016 - but that's the current state of the SEC. It's just not the same situation as it was when we were on top of the world. We NEEDED a salesman to get the talent - Butch couldn't use it right, but there was HOPE.

Hope is nowhere at this point - it will have to be generated by wins and there's nothing we can do about that

Reactions: Vols1891
I’ll get flamed for this, but I seriously think our best option at this point is probably just bringing Butch back. Plus it would save us money since we are already paying his buyout anyway. I just think Butch is about the best coach we are going to be able to get at this point. The guy lit it up with recruiting, loved Tennessee, gave us a couple 9 win seasons, won 3 straight bowl games, and broke our losing streak to Florida. We got impatient when we had a bad season in 2017, but looking back, firing him certainly looks like a bad decision now. We could perhaps keep Pruitt on the staff as DC and maybe even retain Chaney too.
giphy (4).gif

I would just love for Dooley and Butch to get a chance at redemption among our fan base. They have both had success everywhere they’ve been after UT, so perhaps it wasn’t their fault to begin with. Dooley turned Dez Bryant into one of the top receivers in the NFL and now he’s directing the high powered Mizzou offense. Butch hasn’t had as much time to leave his mark yet, but he was quickly snatched up by Saban and helped lead the Alabama team to an SEC Championship and a Playoff win last year. Plus he’s had a big effect on Bama’s recruiting.
What success has Butch had?????

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Great. Even if this isn't a serious thread the mere existence of it gives the rest of the country the opportunity point at us and laugh. Not that public opinion counts for anything but ffs, brink back butch...really!? Lord please wake me from this nightmare.

We have made mistake after mistake for the last few years. I also don`t think we gave Butch Jones a fair break. Too quick to pull the trigger on him. We should have given him a little more time. I`ll bet we would be a five win team right now if he were here this year.
Of all the names mentioned concerning coaching hires, I would choose Butch over all of them. I say talk to him. Bring Butch back. He is the best we have had in a long time and he will get even better.
I strongly agree with OP. BRING BUTCH BACK!.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

There’s a reason he’s working a job right now that’s essentially the same thing a guy like Rick Clausen would have done his first year out of eligibility. He burned a million bridges in recruiting for one thing. So that would be rough here. He also is a joke in the coaching community. Check out some of those assistant coach hires for the 2017 season. Incredibly bad and that was the best he could do.

VN Store

Back