June/July OV Weekends

jvols1999

thevolunteerclub.com
Obviously we've got the big Memorial Day BBQ coming up on May 27th, but the month of June is going to feature up to 4 weekends that, following up on the BBQ, will go a loooong way towards determining what this class looks like. The BBQ weekend will have two OVs - OL Brycen Sanders and OL Lucas Simmons. For June

June 3rd - nobody scheduled so far, looks like a camp weekend

June 10th
WR Malik Benson
LB Jalen Smith
Edge Samuel M'Pemba (Unofficial)
WR Aiden Mizell
OL Raymond Pulido (Unofficial)

June 17th
WR Cameron Seldon
CB Rickey Gibson
OL Stanton Ramil
OL Ryqueze McElderry
DL TJ Searcy
DL Tavion Gadson (UV)
OL Vysen Lang (UV)
2024 RB Jerrick Gibson

June 24th
***QB Nico Iamaleava will be back in town***
S Jack Luttrell (Vol commit)
TE Ethan Davis (UT commit)
LB Jeremiah Telander
CB Jordan Matthews
CB Cristian Conyer
CB Jakeem Jackson
S John Slaughter
OT Shamurad Umarov
OL Francis Mauigoa
DL Hunter Osborne
RB Jeremiah Cobb
WR Nathan Leacock
2024 OL Kam Pringle

July 30th BBQ
First weekend after the June 26th-July 29th (or thereabouts) Dead Period and last weekend before the immediately following month-long August Dead Period. We'll be competing with a bunch of other events, including A&M's pool party.

Edge Chandavian Bradley
IOL Sean Thompkins
DL Tavion Gadson
2024 WR Debron Gatling
2024 QB Jaydn Davis (tenative)

Last edited:
Not bashing the staff’s ability to recruit, but the lack of LBs and blue chip corners on the board and lined up to visit is concerning

Respectfully, there are 4 CBs on that list with offers from the likes of Bama, UGA, Clemson, LSU, etc. And that's not counting Conyer who the staff by all accounts loves.

CJ Allen is a bigtime UGA target, and Telander has offers from UF among others.

Not saying they're all Richard Shermans and Junior Seau's, but I'm not sure the above description is accurate.

Not bashing the staff’s ability to recruit, but the lack of LBs and blue chip corners on the board and lined up to visit is concerning
Seems like they really like their options with Rojas, Allen, Telander, and Thunderbird on the MLB board. Recruiting at edge rusher has been elite between Herring, Bradley, Walker and the 2 from last class. At CB, they identified some elite talent that was going unnoticed. In on some real talent like Tony Mitchell, Branden Strozier, Jakeem Jackson, and Jordan Matthews, Cristian Conyers, and have some backup plans like Cam Fleming. If they’re able to pull in Conyers and Matthews, then I’ll take any of the others as the 3rd CB.

Respectfully, there are 4 CBs on that list with offers from the likes of Bama, UGA, Clemson, LSU, etc. And that's not counting Conyer who the staff by all accounts loves.

CJ Allen is a bigtime UGA target, and Telander has offers from UF among others.

Not saying they're all Richard Shermans and Junior Seau's, but I'm not sure the above description is accurate.
2 LBs in a class isn’t enough when Banks and Mitchell are both seniors and Herring and Perry are the only current guys on the roster that will likely ever become close to being SEC caliber LBs on a championship contending team. Although we might can get extremely lucky with Jackson Hannah, but right now that’s about it. The staff doesn’t seem to have anyone lined up in the portal and I know it usually takes time for JUCO guys to emerge, but only having Allen and Telander on the board and not 5-6 is a problem if one or both end up elsewhere and the staff is stuck with their braciole in their hand this fall and having to recruit John Probst and Solon Page type LBs

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokey19rt
Seems like they really like their options with Rojas, Allen, Telander, and Thunderbird on the MLB board. Recruiting at edge rusher has been elite between Herring, Bradley, Walker and the 2 from last class. At CB, they identified some elite talent that was going unnoticed. In on some real talent like Tony Mitchell, Branden Strozier, Jakeem Jackson, and Jordan Matthews, Cristian Conyers, and have some backup plans like Cam Fleming. If they’re able to pull in Conyers and Matthews, then I’ll take any of the others as the 3rd CB.
Rojas released a top 4 or 5 without us in it and if Georgia offers Allen he’s gone. As for Corners I think Mitchell is a long shot, but he would obviously be a huge get and isn’t out of the realm of possibility. Strozier seems to be trending towards Clemson, but I do think Jackson and Matthews are good possibilities. The problem is if they whiff on half of those guys they’re starting behind the 8 ball against other schools when trying to find backup options. As far as Conyer goes his level of competition isn’t great and neither is his offer list, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything and he could end up being a stud. I just wish this staff would prioritize the back 7 of the defense a little more than what they are both in recruiting and in the portal especially considering they’re offering and pursuing a new WR every week when last year’s class was solid and they just hauled in Bru

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Rojas released a top 4 or 5 without us in it and if Georgia offers Allen he’s gone. As for Corners I think Mitchell is a long shot, but he would obviously be a huge get and isn’t out of the realm of possibility. Strozier seems to be trending towards Clemson, but I do think Jackson and Matthews are good possibilities. The problem is if they whiff on half of those guys they’re starting behind the 8 ball against other schools when trying to find backup options. As far as Conyer goes his level of competition isn’t great and neither is his offer list, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything and he could end up being a stud. I just wish this staff would prioritize the back 7 of the defense a little more than what they are both in recruiting and in the portal especially considering they’re offering and pursuing a new WR every week when last year’s class was solid and they just hauled in Bru
I get what you’re saying, but they’ve set up the board with elite long shots, blue chips they’re in on, solid players they’re more likely to get, and backup plans that aren’t as highly rated. That’s pretty standard. Yes you’d like to see more elite LBs on the board (I forgot to mention Grayson Howard), but they’re deep in it for 3-4 guys that they would take. Gotta reel them in if you want to play with the big boys. I think the CB board is set up perfect. 1 Elite guy, 2-3 guys that were identified early that are surging, a couple guys on that 3/4 star border, and some backup plans. Don’t sweat yet. When the CB dominos start falling, we’ll see where we stand. A lot of visits left

2 LBs in a class isn’t enough when Banks and Mitchell are both seniors and Herring and Perry are the only current guys on the roster that will likely ever become close to being SEC caliber LBs on a championship contending team. Although we might can get extremely lucky with Jackson Hannah, but right now that’s about it. The staff doesn’t seem to have anyone lined up in the portal and I know it usually takes time for JUCO guys to emerge, but only having Allen and Telander on the board and not 5-6 is a problem if one or both end up elsewhere and the staff is stuck with their braciole in their hand this fall and having to recruit John Probst and Solon Page type LBs

Those aren’t the only two LBs on the board, those are the only two LBs currently set for June OVs.

I get what you’re saying, but they’ve set up the board with elite long shots, blue chips they’re in on, solid players they’re more likely to get, and backup plans that aren’t as highly rated. That’s pretty standard. Yes you’d like to see more elite LBs on the board (I forgot to mention Grayson Howard), but they’re deep in it for 3-4 guys that they would take. Gotta reel them in if you want to play with the big boys. I think the CB board is set up perfect. 1 Elite guy, 2-3 guys that were identified early that are surging, a couple guys on that 3/4 star border, and some backup plans. Don’t sweat yet. When the CB dominos start falling, we’ll see where we stand. A lot of visits left
I just feel like that’s the wrong approach. I’ve always preferred taking the sure things even if they’re just really good prospects when they’re available then continuing to recruit elite guys and if they want in you find a way to get them in. I just don’t understand how we can be in the thick of it for guys like Mauigoa, Tate, Burley, Bradley, Simmons, Sanders, Myers, and potentially Seldon and Mitchell and evening getting guys like Webb and Inniss on campus with Nico, Herring, Smith, and Davis already on board yet only seem to be heavily pursuing Allen, Telander, and Thunderbird at LB when our LB room is arguably the weakest position group in the program. On top of that when it comes to confidence in player development the LB position is at the bottom for me. Perhaps I just answered my question why our board is what it is with that last sentence. I may be guilty of stargazing, but there seems to be a whole lot of options out there that we should be pursuing harder but aren’t. Like the Harris twins from Florida and potentially even Max Carroll as a hybrid S/LB. I know the portal is always an option, but we haven’t been as active there as we should be either

I just feel like that’s the wrong approach. I’ve always preferred taking the sure things even if they’re just really good prospects when they’re available then continuing to recruit elite guys and if they want in you find a way to get them in. I just don’t understand how we can be in the thick of it for guys like Mauigoa, Tate, Burley, Bradley, Simmons, Sanders, Myers, and potentially Seldon and Mitchell and evening getting guys like Webb and Inniss on campus with Nico, Herring, Smith, and Davis already on board yet only seem to be heavily pursuing Allen, Telander, and Thunderbird at LB when our LB room is arguably the weakest position group in the program. On top of that when it comes to confidence in player development the LB position is at the bottom for me. Perhaps I just answered my question why our board is what it is with that last sentence. I may be guilty of stargazing, but there seems to be a whole lot of options out there that we should be pursuing harder but aren’t. Like the Harris twins from Florida and potentially even Max Carroll as a hybrid S/LB. I know the portal is always an option, but we haven’t been as active there as we should be either
Sometimes it just doesn’t line up for you to be in top talent at specific position groups. Can’t blame Brian Jean Mary yet. I think taking a guy like Max Carroll is a scholarship throwaway and clearly the staff agrees. If you’re fighting with UGA for CJ Allen and Grayson Howard then those are clearly LBs that football staffs like more than rankings sites. Don’t forget Nate Spillman will likely put us in the drivers seat for his brother, 2024 Top 100 Overall LB Edwin Spillman. I think Elijah Herring and CJ Allen are SEC Starter-type talent.

Give me something to sell to a LB beside Jeremy Banks. You could say playing time but that's a lot of time on the field with how quickly we score. We might not necessarily need the bigger LBs because one would imagine they would have to cover the pass as opposing offenses try to keep up

Reactions: volsofsteele
Give me something to sell to a LB beside Jeremy Banks. You could say playing time but that's a lot of time on the field with how quickly we score. We might not necessarily need the bigger LBs because one would imagine they would have to cover the pass as opposing offenses try to keep up
Volume stats. Get to play a lot of plays and rack up stats, which also means accelerated progress. It is the opposite of an LB at Navy or old Georgia Tech.

Game theory 101 - the more situations you get to see, at the faster rate, the quicker your developmental progression will be.

Volume stats. Get to play a lot of plays and rack up stats, which also means accelerated progress. It is the opposite of an LB at Navy or old Georgia Tech.

Game theory 101 - the more situations you get to see, at the faster rate, the quicker your developmental progression will be.

That’s…not what game theory is

Heupel and the staff, including the Recruiting Coordinator and his/her staff, have done a masterful job this cycle. They've gotten dozens of top targets on campus since January, many more than once. They've been setting up this BBQ for months to be an extravaganza and have continued to build the guest list - it's likely to be one of the best weekends in UT recruiting history, and while that may sound like hyperbole when you take a look at the quality and quantity I don't think it's an exaggeration.

There's a reason why so many schools and prospects are doing OVs in June: the way the calendar sets up - with a dead period that runs from June 26th through most of August (when colleges and high schools are gearing up for the season) - kids who want to commit before their senior seasons have a limited window to do their OVs.

That said, the next master stroke is how they've set up that final pre-dead period OV weekend. Not only does it currently have 12 names on it now - by definition top targets, including our prized TE commitment - but 8 of them (in bold below) are going to have just been on campus a few weeks prior for the aforementioned BBQ. So you're not only getting the last OV before likely the fall at least - many of whom are looking to commit in July/August - but for many of them you're following up what is likely an awesome experience almost immediately with an OV.

LB CJ Allen
LB Jeremiah Telander

CB Jordan Matthews
CB Cristian Conyer
CB Jakeem Jackson
S John Slaughter
OT Shamurad Umarov
RB Jeremiah Cobb
DL Hunter Osborne

OL Ryqueze McElderry
OL Wilkin Formby
TE Ethan Davis (UT commit)