June Jones Has Mac Jones As Top QB

He may not be wrong. June Jones knows what he's talking about. Every criticism was accurate. I think he's right about Fields & the NDST kid, both will need time- Fields probably less than Lance? Still they could probably be plugged into the right system and see better results than we saw w/ Tua.

I did not watch enough of Wilson. He played really well against us and lesser competition.

Lawrence is the complete package as a passer and a runner. He could still tack on another 15-20 lbs without losing much in terms of speed. He's projected first pick for a reason.

Mac Jones. Stats were somewhat padded with 30% + completions thrown at or behind LOS (screen pass), similar to Tua & Kyler Murray during their final CFB season. Jones was very accurate beyond 10 and 20 yards. Didn't quite have that Joe Burrow season but it was darn close to it. The NFL guys seem to be gravitating more towards mobile QBs, see Lance as a good example. Many boards have/had him R1 despite not playing in 2020. I think Jones' lack of mobility in the pocket will drop him a bit but still see him as a potential R1 choice--just behind Lawrence, Wilson, & Fields I'm less sure about.

Lance I'd be surprised if he actually went R1. He could be the next best thing, just don't think there is enough out there on him to warrant a R1 pick.

Reactions: VolnJC
I guess there will be 5 QBs taken in the first round. This is where I wonder if folks will begin outsmarting themselves and focus on growth areas versus what they actually have done on the field. Not a QB, but I could see WR DeVonta Smith not being the first WR taken even after what he did on the field. I saw a player ranking that actually had him as the third rated WR...and even behind his own teammate Waddle, a great player for sure, but who was clearly behind Smith in terms of performance on the field.

Objectively setting aside my Bama hate and shade for a moment, I still think Jones is going to be a bust if he is first QB taken - maybe even if he is first round. He is not going to have the ridiculous talent advantage around him at every single position and he won’t have 5 seconds to progress through reads after the snap. I really have to wonder how many other QBs could have matched his numbers at Bama.

Reactions: Jaws
Zach Wilson has the highest ceiling but also probably the highest bust potential. His ability to get off throws with little space and/or with weird angles is incredible. The big question is why wasn't the result better? It's not like he straight up killed it in college. I think BYU coaching might be a little inept on offense, TBH. He's wild, too. He'll make some bold plays that are not smart. All that can be fixed of course, but sometimes it doesn't get fixed.

RE: Mac Jones

If you aren't a dual-threat QB, it's so hard to make it in the NFL these days. The guys who get by without the run threat are veterans who have tons of experience in reading defenses and making snap decisions. Teams aren't patient enough to give guys time to develop. Lots of all-time great QB's didn't look that swell in years 1-3 but we expect guys to be good in year 2 now.

I think Sam Darnold could still be really good, and he's a perfect example of this.

I’ve been wrong some and right a few times but I’d be surprised if Matt Jones is much of a QB in the NFL. Those receivers were very special. They’ll be the stars barring injuries.

RE: Mac Jones

If you aren't a dual-threat QB, it's so hard to make it in the NFL these days. The guys who get by without the run threat are veterans who have tons of experience in reading defenses and making snap decisions. Teams aren't patient enough to give guys time to develop. Lots of all-time great QB's didn't look that swell in years 1-3 but we expect guys to be good in year 2 now.

I think Sam Darnold could still be really good, and he's a perfect example of this.
I think the Jets need to stay on Darnold if Watson doesn’t end up there and trade away for picks. I think if Darnold ends up in a better situation he could do really well.

Reactions: wmcovol
I’ve been wrong some and right a few times but I’d be surprised if Matt Jones is much of a QB in the NFL. Those receivers were very special. They’ll be the stars barring injuries.
Wattle & Smith could both go in the top 10. If Mac gets drafted in the first, we might see a record for most 1st round draft picks - I believe one of the early 00s Miami team holds the record.

The Jags are taking Lawrence barring something insane happening, like a positive test for crack or Tiger Woods-like car crash where his legs are crushed (God forbid). I like both Fields and Wilson ahead of Jones. Hell I may even like Trask ahead of Jones.

June has a much higher opinion of Mac than Mac and even Mac's dad. I remember an interview where they acknowledged Mac's athletic short comings and praised his ability to find the star receivers at bama. His lack of mobility and size will get him killed as a high first round pick behind a bad line that typically goes with that pick.

Reactions: Jaws
Of course would June have gotten any press if he said "Trevor #1, WIlson #2?"

Reactions: rjd970

VN Store

Back