'19 JUCO WR Javonta Payton (Tennessee commit)

In his first public comments since he revealed his decision, Payton told GoVols247 on Thursday that he chose Tennessee over Miami and Texas after being contacted by a number of schools. He said it’s “exciting” to know he’s headed to Tennessee after being recruited by three different UT staffs, and he believes he has a “great opportunity” to make an impact on the Vols’ fast-paced offense under first-year coach Josh Heupel.

“It’s amazing to be closer to home,” Payton said Thursday afternoon. “Like I was telling a lot of people — I don’t know. With all the recruiting I have been through, it was just exciting just to see how Tennessee was still there for me, with just the same energy they always have. It was just a good feeling.”
Payton said being closer to family was a major factor in his decision. His first child is due in July.

“When I first entered the portal, Tennessee was definitely an option, but I had a whole bunch of other, different schools that were trying to talk to me,” he said. “But it really was where I felt more comfortable, especially with me about to have a daughter in July, being closer to her and the best opportunity for me to get on the field and play.

“There were a few things that went into it. But I’d have to say the most important part was probably being closer to my child.”
Payton now could give them some much-needed speed — he claims to have been hand-timed at 4.34 seconds in the 40-yard dash — along with experience and versatility. Mississippi State used him both on the perimeter and in the slot in coach Mike Leach’s Air Raid offense.

“When (Burns) first started to recruit me, he was looking at a lot of my film and he was just talking about how he loved how quick I am and the ability that I have to use my speed and go deep,” Payton said. “But he was just telling about how, in their offense, they’re looking for some guys who can get past defenders, run (go routes), posts, curls and just know how to read space.

“And with me being in Coach Leach’s offense for this last year, trying to read space and getting open was just our thing. That’s what he preached the most. So I just feel like it’s a great opportunity going into this offense, with all the stuff that he explained on how they want to run stuff.

“And then watching the spring game, too, I got to see a little bit of it. They throw the ball a lot, so any receiver’s got to love it.”
-Callahan

Payton runs a 4.46

Hyatt runs a 4.31 to a 4.29
He ran 4.46 as a Junior in high school.

He says he's been timed at 4.34
He looked very fast against LSU last season.
I think he would be right on Hyatt's heels if that were true.

He ran 4.46 as a Junior in high school.

He says he's been timed at 4.34
He looked very fast against LSU last season.
I think he would be right on Hyatt's heels if that were true.
I mean I dunno if it matters. It’s really who is going to get the most YAC. They can both be super fast but if one is able to break tackles and get to the endzone or carve up the field and get to the endzone they are better.

Either way I’m glad we got him.

I mean I dunno if it matters. It’s really who is going to get the most YAC. They can both be super fast but if one is able to break tackles and get to the endzone or carve up the field and get to the endzone they are better.

Either way I’m glad we got him.
I'm glad we got both too.
Payton played RB at Hillsboro in Nashville. He has good YAC ability.
Very inconsistent QB play last seasom for Miss State. JUCO before that.

We certainly have the fastest WR group in the conference now. Let's hope that turns into major production.

I'm glad we got both too.
Payton played RB at Hillsboro in Nashville. He has good YAC ability.
Very inconsistent QB play last seasom for Miss State. JUCO before that.

We certainly have the fastest WR group in the conference now. Let's hope that turns into major production.
Do we really have the fastest group?

Do we really have the fastest group?
Absolutely.

It doesn't mean they'll be the best.

Payton was the fastest WR for Miss State.
Add that to Hyatt and Velus Jones who also have timed 4.3 40s.
Holliday 4.38
Calloway 4.42
Coby 4.45
Merrill 4.49

Yeah.

If we can get QB position settled, then the offense will hum.

Payton is what you wanted Wideman to be but more ready to impact. Seems like his replacement to me. Payton looks so smooth in the LSU game. I’m a fan of the take as I think he could have a big yr in this offense. He looks like an NFL type WR skill wise when he plays

Payton is what you wanted Wideman to be but more ready to impact. Seems like his replacement to me. Payton looks so smooth in the LSU game. I’m a fan of the take as I think he could have a big yr in this offense. He looks like an NFL type WR skill wise when he plays
Or hopefully he helps mentor Wideman to be his replacement. Glass half full.

Well, to be fair, Wideman was a true freshman without a normal offseason program, an odd transition to college during a pandemic, and a terrible QB situation, system, and team culture. Payton also has 3 years of experience. Maybe a bit early to bail on Wideman. He may wash out, but it seems premature to pull the cord on him just yet. Let’s hope he gets straightened up and is able to be a contributor. Same for Payton, who doesn’t come without warts of his own.

Well, to be fair, Wideman was a true freshman without a normal offseason program, an odd transition to college during a pandemic, and a terrible QB situation, system, and team culture. Payton also has 3 years of experience. Maybe a bit early to bail on Wideman. He may wash out, but it seems premature to pull the cord on him just yet. Let’s hope he gets straightened up and is able to be a contributor. Same for Payton, who doesn’t come without warts of his own.

Only pulling the cord because it seems he has quit attending classes and is leaving. He has plenty of potential to succeed. I’d probably do it in basketball if I were him though

Reactions: cncchris33
Not going to jump into the speed debate except to say that I would not post a time that wasn't laser. Hand timed forties are notoriously generous to the runner.

Reactions: VolByLaw

VN Store

Back