'21 JUCO RB Tiyon Evans

Evans will lead the team in rushing next season. Calling it.
I could see it...will be a very crowded room with Gray and possibly Chandler. Nice to have depth there though and get to RS Brown, Wright, Smalls, Hodge potentially.

Unless Beckwith is killing it, hope he goes somewhere he can be used like TE/WR. Too athletic to leave off the field.

Reactions: TurnoverTrashCan
giphy.gif

I could see it...will be a very crowded room with Gray and possibly Chandler. Nice to have depth there though and get to RS Brown, Wright, Smalls, Hodge potentially.

Unless Beckwith is killing it, hope he goes somewhere he can be used like TE/WR. Too athletic to leave off the field.
Evans and Brown will be hard to keep out of the lineup, they are bigger and faster than anything we got now. Chandler is a decent back but not super big or fast, Gray is good if he can get to the second level but goes down on arm tackles. You got to be tougher to tackle than that, Gray makes it easy. Give me Evans and Brown and let's ride. GBO!

Evans and Brown will be hard to keep out of the lineup, they are bigger and faster than anything we got now. Chandler is a decent back but not super big or fast, Gray is good if he can get to the second level but goes down on arm tackles. You got to be tougher to tackle than that, Gray makes it easy. Give me Evans and Brown and let's ride. GBO!
Our current RBs would be better suited as slot receivers IMO.

Brown isn’t faster than Gray or Chandler. Stronger yes. Faster no. Evans on the other hand is better than both.

Reactions: CAVPUT
More weight isn't that important these days. The top 3 RBs in cfb are averaging less like 207 or so. More about versatility, receiving, and speed. Do agree Tiyon adds speed. Brown is fine, he adds maybe a 3rd down type of size but don't see him as an upgrade vs Gray in early downs. If Chandler leaves, Gray is likely RB1. Tiyon is a nice RB2. Brown and Wright may even RS if Small and Hodge are healthy, which would be great because Gray and Evans only have a few years left.

Our current RBs would be better suited as slot receivers IMO.
Not sure about that by any means, both are solid RBs - but I would like to see them more in passing like UF does and like we did under CBJ. UF constantly leaks out their RBs...we seem to just leave them in blocking air and giving us 1 fewer receiving option.

Not sure about that by any means, both are solid RBs - but I would like to see them more in passing like UF does and like we did under CBJ. UF constantly leaks out their RBs...we seem to just leave them in blocking air and giving us 1 fewer receiving option.

They go down too easily. We need bigger backs that can break tackles.

They go down too easily. We need bigger backs that can break tackles.
Gray is 4th in the SEC in broken tackles.

Fwiw out of the top 5 SEC rushers only 1 is in the top 5 in broken tackles. Just not how many of the best run these days. Sure it helps, of course, if you can also, but with spread offenses emphasizing space these days, running past and around the defender is better than jamming into them.

But those bigger guys still have a place, like fullbacks once did. And if you're ever lucky enough to get one of those rarrre 5* freaks like a D.Henry who is super fast, agile, and big...all the better.

Last edited:

Fwiw out of the top 5 SEC rushers only 1 is in the top 5 in broken tackles. Just not how many of the best run these days. Sure it helps, of course, if you can also, but with spread offenses emphasizing space these days, running past and around the defender is better than jamming into them.

But those bigger guys still have a place, like fullbacks once did. And if you're ever lucky enough to get one of those rarrre 5* freaks like a D.Henry who is super fast, agile, and big...all the better.

Thank you. I don’t know what these people are watching when they say Gray doesn’t break tackles. Unless they think it’s Gray when Chandler has the ball. Gray breaks plenty of tackles, especially for a RB his size.

As for the 2021 discussion, I’d like to see Small in the rotation. Evans, Gray, and Brown/Small could be a really good group. Use Beckwith at TE/WR the way Florida uses Pitts.

I have watched every snap of every game and I find that stat hard to believe. I wonder what the RB has to do after the "broken tackle" to qualify?

I have watched every snap of every game and I find that stat hard to believe. I wonder what the RB has to do after the "broken tackle" to qualify?
Don’t forget that a portion of those come from screens and the like. he’s definitely better but still needs to keep improving.

Brown isn’t faster than Gray or Chandler. Stronger yes. Faster no. Evans on the other hand is better than both.
Brown may not be faster but is a harder runner and bigger. Evans is faster, and no in the sec you need hard running strong guys more than you need small fast east to west types. Them guys struggle against good defenses. I disagree with anyone that says size and strength isn't important, guys that can get the tough yards wear defenses down. See Henry to the Titans, Bama and Georgia almost always have a big back, they may have smaller ones too but they usually have a strong runner that gets north and south and has good speed. Give me a running back that can run in between tackles and bounce it outside also, versus a team full of scat backs. GBO!

VN Store

Back