'20 JUCO OT Tairiq Stewart

Per Hubbs on VQ podcast

Thinks if OSU offers that he’d be a tough pull. OSU was recruiting him out of high school but he didn’t have the grades to qualify. He’s from Ohio.

Goes to Osovets former school but doesn’t know JO. Only knows his reputation. Plans to visit in June.

For a 6'6" 335 lb JUCO, I didn't much if any fat on that dude. He's muscled up and wouldn't miss a beat on S&C IMO.

Tairiq Stewart believed the offers would come because of the work he has put in since arriving at ASA junior college in New York. He didn’t know it would be Tennessee that extended him his first power five offer. “I was surprised because I hadn’t been talking to them much,” the 6-6, 335 Stewart said. “I have put in the work so yes I expected schools to offer me. “With coach Osovet being the former head coach here, I thought it could come back around to me. I hadn’t spoken to them much before they came and observed me.”

Stewart has multiple family members in Nashville and has been there multiple times. He hasn’t ever been to Knoxville but has been gathering information since getting the offer last week. “I haven’t been there but I have done a little bit of research,” Stewart said. “It seems like a good place. Sports are a big deal there. It seems like a warm environment to be at.” Stewart will see the Vols this summer as he’s scheduled to visit June 21st. And he knows what he will be looking for.

“The feeling of being wanted,” Stewart said. I know football is a business but I want to find a place where I could call it home. Some place where I could end up living there after football. “Coaching staff is important. I have had some great coaches and some bad coaches. I never played for coach Osovat, but from what I have seen and know about him. He seems like a good guy. “If a coach and I can relate on some kind of level and can have a conversation talking about something other than sports. Can they give me and teach me things that I can take and use in everyday life.”

In terms of his game, Stewart, who believe more offers are coming, says there are a couple of things about him that get people’s attention. “My physicality and ability to bend at the tackle position,” Stewart said. “You have to be a good athlete to play at the tackle position and at 335 pounds I can.” Stewart, who was a non-qualifier out of high school in Cleveland, Ohio, is scheduled to graduate in May of 2020 where he will have 3 years to play 2 years.

-VQ

Kind of surprised we offered a month ago and still no one else has offered and he still has no rankings.

64776E9B-183F-4A67-A3F6-252D30D968BE.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Easttnken
May be dependent on the TN reaction after he camps. If we push for him then, guessing he'll get more attention.

We had a lot of action last year after our camps... I feel like we might have a few more commits in the next couple months, with the bulk of our commits (for good or for bad) coming mid-to-late season. That's my WAG.

The Class of 2020 offensive lineman from ASA College in Brooklyn, N.Y., said Tennessee made a good first impression on him Friday and Saturday during an unofficial visit to Knoxville that allowed him to participate in one of the Vols’ camps, and he’s already hoping to return there on an official visit. Tennessee still is the only school that has extended an offer to the 6-foot-4.5, 345-pound Stewart. But he said he already knows that the Vols “will be in my top five” throughout his recruitment after seeing for himself what they have to offer.

“I mean, honestly, I loved it,” said Stewart, a former standout at Warrensville Heights (Ohio) High School. “We spent enough time there to look around the campus, look at the dorms, go out and see what the nightlife was. “I mean, honestly, I can say I loved it. But it’s the first offer. I have to keep my options open. But if it comes down to it — well, when it does come down to it — after the season, Tennessee will be in my top five. That, I’m guaranteeing.”

Stewart was accompanied on the visit by teammate Antwan Reed, a former Western Michigan signee from Muskegon (Mich.) High School who once was committed to Penn State during his senior year of high school. Tennessee will remain a strong contender for Stewart in the coming months, he said, “because of what they showed me” while he was on campus. “I mean, Tennessee is showing me a lot of love right now — a lot of love — especially for it to be my first school,” he said. “And everybody’s looking at me. A lot of schools are looking. A lot of schools are doing a whole lot of talking. But no other schools have pulled the trigger.

“And schools know I’m here, and schools know I can play. But Tennessee seems to be the only one that has been willing to take the step after they already saw what I did last season and what I did in the spring. “Tennessee has kind of been there in the forefront and front-running for everything. I assume Tennessee really wants me to attend their school and be a part of their program.”

“I worked with Coach Friend the most throughout the drills, the one-on-ones,” Stewart said. “They started me off at guard first, and I know that’s something that’s really on everybody’s mind about me — moving to guard. And I realized at that point in time, in those one-on-ones, if I want to play tackle, I’m going to have to maintain what I already have and lose weight.

“Guard is something I could see myself doing. But I’m just going to have to learn it, because guard and tackle are two different worlds. I swear they are. I got my guard reps. I got my tackle reps. I did OK at guard, but it didn’t feel natural. I got at tackle, and I started really working everybody that was out there. “I felt good at tackle. And I hope they saw that, because more than likely — they say it themselves — you don’t see somebody my size that can move how I can. It’s not something you see every day.”

Stewart said the Vols “enjoyed what I did” during the camp, and he “really didn’t get any negative feedback.” “Obviously, I learned a lot because those guys have been further than I have,” he said. “I took in every little piece of information I could. They just said they can’t wait to see me back for my actual official visit. “The one thing everybody said I have to work on, and that’s going to get worked on, is my weight. That’s the only thing at this point in time.”

He said he has been in frequent contact with Joe Osovet, the Vols’ director of programming for football, who was the head coach at ASA before joining Tennessee’s staff last year. “We talk to him regularly because of his ties that he has at ASA,” Stewart said of Osovet. “So having a conversation with him, it’s easy.”

Ole Miss, Auburn, Kentucky, West Virginia and Maryland are among the other schools showing interest in Stewart, he said. But he doesn't have any additional trips planned at this point, and he said he’s in no hurry to decide on a college. “I’m going to wait until after the season, when I’m getting ready to graduate,” he said.

VN Store

Back