'21 JUCO CB Dejahn Warren (JSU commit)

Just read junior colleges not playing football until spring. So if he signs in the early signing period is there any reason for him to play JC ball in spring of 2021.

And does that count as a redshirt and allow him 3 to play 3?
Shouldn’t even count as a season of eligibility. Jarrett Stidham transferred from Baylor and attended a non-football playing community college for a year waiting to decide his next stop an had full 3 seasons of eligibility with an unburnt redshirt when he enrolled at Auburn.

Reactions: Vol8188
Shouldn’t even count as a season of eligibility. Jarrett Stidham transferred from Baylor and attended a non-football playing community college for a year waiting to decide his next stop an had full 3 seasons of eligibility with an unburnt redshirt when he enrolled at Auburn.
How is that even possible? Once you enroll at any college or university, athletically related, or not, doesn't your eligibility clock start?

How is that even possible? Once you enroll at any college or university, athletically related, or not, doesn't your eligibility clock start?
Guess not in that particular case...it was one step up from a high school. I don’t remember any eligibility lost for those attending those prep school/military academies after high school. Larry Fitzgerald had to convince the NFL that he was 3 years out of high school because he attended one. Need to remember that attending his JUCO is possibly going to be limited if not fully online. You don’t lose any time for taking courses online in the summer...might affect this.

Guess not in that particular case...it was one step up from a high school. I don’t remember any eligibility lost for those attending those prep school/military academies after high school. Larry Fitzgerald had to convince the NFL that he was 3 years out of high school because he attended one. Need to remember that attending his JUCO is possibly going to be limited if not fully online. You don’t lose any time for taking courses online in the summer...might affect this.
But in the case of prep schools, you still haven't enrolled in a college or university, so your eligibility clock hasn't started. And once you enroll, I think it has to be as a full-time student (12 credit hours), which may preclude the taking of summer classes from starting your clock. But once you begin as a full-time student, and attend the first class, your clock starts.

As I understand it, which may be incorrect, Larry Fitzgerald actually finished high school but didn't have good enough grades to get into a D1 school, so he attended Valley Forge Military Academy to improve his grades. After his sophomore year at Pitt, he was technically
3 years removed from his HS graduating class.

Technically, you could choose not to enroll in a college/university until your 70 years old and still hold 4 years of eligibility to be completed in 5 years.

But in the case of prep schools, you still haven't enrolled in a college or university, so your eligibility clock hasn't started. And once you enroll, I think it has to be as a full-time student (12 credit hours), which may preclude the taking of summer classes from starting your clock. But once you begin as a full-time student, and attend the first class, your clock starts.

As I understand it, which may be incorrect, Larry Fitzgerald actually finished high school but didn't have good enough grades to get into a D1 school, so he attended Valley Forge Military Academy to improve his grades. After his sophomore year at Pitt, he was technically

Technically, you could choose not to enroll in a college/university until your 70 years old and still hold 4 years of eligibility to be completed in 5 years.

“There’s goes Bobby K. Down the sideline!!! To the 20, to the 10, to the checkerboard!! TD VOLS!!! Bob Kessling has done it folks!!! The legendary 70 yr old freshman!”

So when you get college credits online, you’re saying the clock’s been ticking? Aren’t you ENROLLED when you’re taking those classes? Unique times.

So when you get college credits online, you’re saying the clock’s been ticking? Aren’t you ENROLLED when you’re taking those classes? Unique times.
The way I have understood it, is that once you enroll as a full-time student (defined by taking 12 credit hours, or more) and attend your first class, online or in-person (not sure if that matters, or if it is distinguishable), that starts your eligibility clock.

It is possible that I am wrong there, but I'm fairly certain of the accuracy of that statement.

So what’s the bottom line for this cat? He’s played one year of juco ball with no redshirt correct? If he doesn’t play juco this year he should be able to use this year as a redshirt and have 3 years to play 3 once he arrives at UT?

The way I have understood it, is that once you enroll as a full-time student (defined by taking 12 credit hours, or more) and attend your first class, online or in-person (not sure if that matters, or if it is distinguishable), that starts your eligibility clock.

It is possible that I am wrong there, but I'm fairly certain of the accuracy of that statement.
Don’t know how much it’s been tested. How many viable athletes have simply attended college without at least walking on? Much less attended a practical vocational school?

So what’s the bottom line for this cat? He’s played one year of juco ball with no redshirt correct? If he doesn’t play juco this year he should be able to use this year as a redshirt and have 3 years to play 3 once he arrives at UT?
That my question, and I believe that conclusion to be accurate.

Reactions: walkenvol
Don’t know how much it’s been tested. How many viable athletes have simply attended college without at least walking on? Much less attended a practical vocational school?
I'm not sure a vocational school, unless deemed an accredited junior college or community college where it is possible to earn credit hours towards a 4-year degree, would count. For example, my wife attended massage therapy school and my niece will attend beauty school next year in pursuit of her esthetician license. Both have or will receive training and have to pass board examinations to receive their certificates, but neither has started their eligibility clock.

Also, is it possible to attend community college as a part-time student over the course of several years without starting your clock? I don't know. I wish someone more well-versed could chime in and provide exact clarification.

As you said, few, if any have challenged it, I'm sure, at major universities in major sports. The only example I can think of is athletes who play a year, and then embark on a 2-year mormon mission (JT Mapu, for example). They do not lose eligibility, and I assume it is due to a religious exemption.

I'm not sure a vocational school, unless deemed an accredited junior college or community college where it is possible to earn credit hours towards a 4-year degree, would count. For example, my wife attended massage therapy school and my niece will attend beauty school next year in pursuit of her esthetician license. Both have or will receive training and have to pass board examinations to receive their certificates, but neither has started their eligibility clock.

Also, is it possible to attend community college as a part-time student over the course of several years without starting your clock? I don't know. I wish someone more well-versed could chime in and provide exact clarification.

As you said, few, if any have challenged it, I'm sure, at major universities in major sports. The only example I can think of is athletes who play a year, and then embark on a 2-year mormon mission (JT Mapu, for example). They do not lose eligibility, and I assume it is due to a religious exemption.
Didn’t know religious exemptions existed in the NCAA.

Didn’t know religious exemptions existed in the NCAA.
Just did some research h and the only exceptions I've found to the 5-year eligibility clock are joining the military and serving a religious mission.

And this from the NCAA website regarding the 5-year clock...
Screenshot_20200714-165908_Samsung Internet.jpg
Hope that provides some clarity, though in our unprecedented times, the rulebook may be out the window.

VN Store

Back