JT Shrout? Do we play him this week?

SC had to finish a game with their 3rd string guy. Maurer has gone out of both games he started. You don't want to think about it but its not out of the question he has to play at some point this year. If Maurer doesn't play Saturday, I don't see any reason why you don't get him a few snaps at some point.

He’s the least mobile option, but there is no way he is worse than JG reading defenses, making quick decisions, or leading the offense and moving the ball,
There’s mobility, and there’s being able to take care of the ball and have no turn overs. JG showed some nice poise vs MS...but they are’nt Bama. Think Frosh having first college start/play vs Bama not a good thing. IF BM is out vs Bama, it’s JG all the way, as it should be...and hope he’s now playing with a clearer head, like MST.

My question is, is that we aren’t talking much about him lately about playing. Is there something holding him back? What is going on with him?
He's not good.

He wasnt even a great HS player. Threw as many INTs as TDs.

Maurer will be fine. He just needs more experience - no different than Ainge's freshman year. He's going to make some mistakes

If we're playing our 3rd string QB......................it's a $hit $how in Knoxville or we're almost bowl eligible and hanging half a hundred on e'rbody.

Respectfully disagree. You don't get better by doing this. S. Carolina just went to Athens and won. Not saying that I think we win. But totally disagree with this. You can get hurt just as easily in the SC TN game ask Marcus Lattimore.

Exactly; the 'save him" advocates forget Maurer left the game against GA and MSU. By their logic, we simply should not play him at all.

You have to treat this like any other game imo. If JG goes out playing like he does in big games then we better see Shrout warming up. Yes I’m aware of who the opponent is and I don’t care what the % chance of UT winning. Winning is not about who the best team is. It’s about the team who plays to win every Saturday. I don’t care if it ends up down to a walk on QB. It really doesn’t matter who we think wins the game. Be the team that finds a way to win!

Last edited:
He has a much quicker release than jg, and is much more mobile than jg, but not as mobile as Maurer. If maurer is unable to play we score more points with jt, and it will aslo give him valuable game expierence. Jg should be done, we cannot win with him as qb with any of the remaining games. Shrout needs some real game expierence, jg need to sit. We always have a much more conservative offensive game plan with jg than we would with either jt or Maurer
So now our 3rd string QB is the answer to our struggles?

My question is, is that we aren’t talking much about him lately about playing. Is there something holding him back? What is going on with him?

Every recruit steps on campus with a certain amount of accomplishments in one hand and potential in the other. These are all different people, so they grow and develop at different rates. Shrout seemed to have good potential in my opinion, but he has not developed or grown at the rate that he needs to do to have a shot at playing here.

But, even if he was developing as a passer, I still think Brian's wheels give him a heads up over Shrout anyway.

VN Store

Back