Josh Heupel reacts to Vols' win over Florida

I feel the need to do a bit of an old man rant here. I’m not just pointing directly at some of the reporters in this room, but this goes on in every Q&A I’ve seen for the past few years. When a journalist asks a question like “How significant was that 99 yard touchdown drive “ can someone please tell me what the point is with such a waste of time asking that? They do this all the time. “How big was it that so and so stepped up today” or “How important was that big play in the 4rth quarter “
.I mean, what the hell kind of breaking news answers are they hoping to get with these kind of questions. Has journalism really gotten so hideously unimaginative that this is the best we can do? They always get such a short window, possibly only just one question, and this is what they throw up. Some people like myself would like to know some actual information, or what the coaches thoughts are about things we don’t know. Yet they just seem to want clichĂ© sound bites to print. It’s lazy and frustrating to watch, and quite cringey sometimes. Rant over.

I feel the need to do a bit of an old man rant here. I’m not just pointing directly at some of the reporters in this room, but this goes on in every Q&A I’ve seen for the past few years. When a journalist asks a question like “How significant was that 99 yard touchdown drive “ can someone please tell me what the point is with such a waste of time asking that? They do this all the time. “How big was it that so and so stepped up today” or “How important was that big play in the 4rth quarter “
.I mean, what the hell kind of breaking news answers are they hoping to get with these kind of questions. Has journalism really gotten so hideously unimaginative that this is the best we can do? They always get such a short window, possibly only just one question, and this is what they throw up. Some people like myself would like to know some actual information, or what the coaches thoughts are about things we don’t know. Yet they just seem to want clichĂ© sound bites to print. It’s lazy and frustrating to watch, and quite cringey sometimes. Rant over.
What’s an example of a question you wanted asked?

LOL, the current state of journalism, defined right here. No real thought provoking questions, asking questions of the obvious, and then regurgitate exactly what everyone already witnessed with their own eyes.

I’m not looking to be entertained by journalists, but for crying out loud, ask a couple of tough questions and stop dancing around the elephant in the room.

They ask questions like that because they have a deadline to get an article written, and they already have a narrative in their head. All they need is a quote from the coach or a player that confirms the narrative. This is why the questions are often so obvious.

I didn’t get to go to the game, but Heupel mentioned VFLs from 4 different decades being there. They showed Dobbs on TV, did anyone happen to catch who else was there?

Reactions: VolPack22
Also, journalists have to do a good job of staying on the coaches and program's good side if they want continued access to the program. Asking a question that makes the coach looks bad or rubs them the wrong way could result in that reporter being "shut out." Now, is Heup man enough to answer the tough questions? Of course. But I think bc of the Dooley, Pruitt, Butch years, these reporters have just learned to ask the softball questions that will make the coaches and players feel good, and keep the reporters in the good.

I was thinking the same

Reporter Fightmaker:
"Coach, WTF were you thinking the last half of the 4th quarter??"

Reactions: Fightmaker

VN Store

Back