Josh Heupel Press Conference (9.13.21)

I think Milton gets the first half to work on his accuracy and Hooker gets the second half to work on taking care of the ball. Their improvements determine who starts at UF.
Nice! Then we can lose again because the team just isnt good enough to overcome the BS we will get with milton in the first half.
and dont tell me its just tennessee tech.
we've lost to worse teams.

Reactions: VolRage
If he starts making personnel decisions based on pleasing fans, all is lost.
same result if he starts milton.
do you know whats gonna happen if he starts milton and milton continues to suck and we actually lose because we couldnt overcome the mistakes he made?

I like Heupel, and I believe he will do good things here. I haven’t ever said that about any of the previous three dunderheads that sat in his desk.

However....

He needs to understand, somebody should warn him, not to burn the capital and the early good-will he has with the fan base with being stubborn about the QB position. That capital won’t last forever, and this place can be miserable for everybody when it runs out. If Milton is the guy....make your case and stand with it. If there is any doubt, now is the time flesh it out and try the other guys.

I can see why he’d want Milton to work out. The upside seems to be really high. On the other hand, maybe this team needs an efficient game manager instead of Superman.
Boro, you are correct about his equity with the fans, but I don't think that is as full as we may believe. Saturday was the second home game of the season and the biggest thus far, and the upper deck was 2/3 empty. UT admin and coaching staff had better take serious note of that. Year 12, 14 or what ever the heck this is of a 5 year rebuild is wearing thin with the fan base.

Boro, you are correct about his equity with the fans, but I don't think that is as full as we may believe. Saturday was the second home game of the season and the biggest thus far, and the upper deck was 2/3 empty. UT admin and coaching staff had better take serious note of that. Year 12, 14 or what ever the heck this is of a 5 year rebuild is wearing thin with the fan base.
If he continues to roll Milton out there as our starting QB, Heupel is going to find out really quickly that he has NOWHERE NEAR the equity with the fan base that he believes he has.

Coaches are paid millions to run a program. The ability to keep the position is contingent on the showing and ultimately, the outcome on Saturdays. Coaches aren't evaluated by how many practice sessions were won or lost (most would claim to be undefeated).

We all understand the why of practice, and needing to see the performance there before deciding to make a two deep roster. However, the performance HAS TO translate onto the field on Saturday. Hoping is does IS NOT a valid approach. At that point you have to go with what does, or has in the past, while you work out the why Mon-Fri, until you think you got it fixed.

That is precisely why he’s better handle this issue with great care. I like the guy. I believe he’s here for at least 5 years no matter what. I think he’s going to do good things.

However....

I have long been one of those guys early on calling for coaches heads. He does not want to burn what little support he may have before halfway through his first season....because this fan base can make a job miserable.

Reactions: midtnvol2
Dobbs did better in games than practices b/c his skill set was running the ball really well when the pocket broke down. That is harder to see in practice than what Bailey’s skill set is, being an accurate pocket passer.
Looking back over the last 15 years of Tennessee football, I realize that we have not had a really good QB except for Bray a couple of years and Dobbs for 2-3 years. This maybe the common denominator of our major problem. I know, we have some lean years on the Line but a lot that was Dooley not recruiting Olinemen. I believe we would have had a much better record over the recent years if we had better QB play. We will continue to have problems unless we recruit better QBs. CJH, being a respected QB coach and a really good offensive mind, may give us a better chance of getting some QBs who can actually play the game. There is a chance he will be able to improve the play of Milton/ Bailey by next year. I guess we will see what happens during the rest of this year and determine where we go from there.

Reactions: 08Vol
What if all you have in the stable are quarter horses? And if you don't judge how someone does in practice, what do you base your decision on?

When a player practices better or worse than he performs in games, you judge his performance in games by his performance in games. my $.02

Last edited:
vol main, what the hell games have you been watching that Heupel is sabotaging the team with his decisions and calls?You drink whiskey out of shot glasses,not look through them Magoo-like.

Reactions: marmoteer
Reading between the lines: Heupel is convinced Milton is the guy, sees him hitting those receivers in practices and scrimmages. Somehow avoided saying the obvious cliche, "He gives us the best chance to win" but based on what he said Milton is the guy. Does not believe his own lying eyes watching what happens when the lights come one and zebras take the field. This is the JG syndrome Part II, book it.

And he will probly be as jg play 1 or 2 good games per yr, and instrumental in losing the others

vol main, what the hell games have you been watching that Heupel is sabotaging the team with his decisions and calls?You drink whiskey out of shot glasses,not look through them Magoo-like.

Hey, I'll drink whiskey my way. You look through the shot glass your way.

Last edited:
If he puts Milton back out there after these two games then we have a problem. He has this week to see what Hooker and Bailey can do before sec play. Rolling the same crap out with Milton would not be good

See, Allen Iverson was right! It’s just practice! Hope CJH gets that. Milton’s best days are during practice….and it doesn’t mean a thing when it doesn’t translate into on field performance. For the love of Mike and all that’s holy, please don’t let this multi-year QB fiasco continue!!

. If a frog had wings... The percentages would tell you the chances to gain 6 inches would be better on a QB sneak. Too many things bad can screw up the play (as you described) in the shotgun. Fewer moving parts in the sneak to mess up and that is what most coaches would go with. I think these “new age” offenses get enamored with the shotgun and forget what power football can do. But maybe I’m just too old school. All I know is it didn’t work at a crucial time and it cost us dearly.

It’s also important to remember we had our backup QB taking that snap. In Heupel’s offense how much practice time do you think the back up QB spends taking snaps from under center for a QB sneak? I think there is a time and place for the old school smash mouth football, but it’s not in the first year of a new coach’s system.

That 4th down stop isn’t why we lost. We missed 3 deep TD passes and did a piss poor job of returning that missed FG. Heupel’s spread offense would have blown out Pitt if Milton could connect on deep passes.

Looking back over the last 15 years of Tennessee football, I realize that we have not had a really good QB except for Bray a couple of years and Dobbs for 2-3 years. This maybe the common denominator of our major problem. I know, we have some lean years on the Line but a lot that was Dooley not recruiting Olinemen. I believe we would have had a much better record over the recent years if we had better QB play. We will continue to have problems unless we recruit better QBs. CJH, being a respected QB coach and a really good offensive mind, may give us a better chance of getting some QBs who can actually play the game. There is a chance he will be able to improve the play of Milton/ Bailey by next year. I guess we will see what happens during the rest of this year and determine where we go from there.

At this point I think Heupel’s plan is to take a gamble on Milton. If he can turn him into Cam 2.0 by next year then his play will generate a ton of buzz and UT will be able to win some big games and sniff a 10 win season.

At this point I think Heupel’s plan is to take a gamble on Milton. If he can turn him into Cam 2.0 by next year then his play will generate a ton of buzz and UT will be able to win some big games and sniff a 10 win season.
It may be, but it is also the biggest gamble in that Milton has the most room to improve. However, I think Milton also has 2 more years to play. If he makes it, our QB commitment would have a redshirt year to learn the system before being throw to the wolves. We may be able to recruit a top notch QB in the 23 class which would help. We need to recruit at least one really good QB every year if we are going to move up in the standings in future years.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back