Josh Heupel Press Conference (9.13.21)

Separate subject. I knew Bob Kesling was too much of a company man to ask the tough question after the game but I haven’t seen Heupel address it anywhere else either. What was going on in their brain to call that idiot shotgun on 4th and 6 inches when they have a chance to tie the score? Worst call you could possibly do in that situation. Do none of these reporters have the nads to bring it up?

That exact same running played scored the 1st and 4th TD of the game. Both were run out of shotgun and worked perfectly. For the 4th down play the defensive line shifted a half second before the snap which confused the O-line. Looked like our RG fell down trying to make a block which blocked the RB’s hole and slowed him down. Also the 2 OLBs (one might have been a safety) blitzed the RB where before they had stayed home to make sure the QB didn’t keep it. If Hooker had held onto the ball he would have had an easy TD run to the outside.

Separate subject. I knew Bob Kesling was too much of a company man to ask the tough question after the game but I haven’t seen Heupel address it anywhere else either. What was going on in their brain to call that idiot shotgun on 4th and 6 inches when they have a chance to tie the score? Worst call you could possibly do in that situation. Do none of these reporters have the nads to bring it up?

The excuse here on VN is "Bad read by Hooker, should have pulled it back, and ran it in from the outside." The problem with that is it was a straight handoff or dive play. Go back and watch yourself. There was no read, Hooker and the entire offense ran the play that was called.

Reactions: Doberman
The way it was thrown was a tough catch. Call it what you want. But a good throw he never leaves his feet. Not to mention earlier in the route hes has the guy beat by 5 or 6 steps. Everyone in X3 saw the same damn thing.

Agree. I was sitting in the same general area with that viewpoint. Watching that play unfold, I remember thinking "why isn't that ball in the air yet?", when Hyatt clearly had his defender beat early on. Could have been a thing of beauty and Milton delayed a little too long.

I don't disagree with you, but I do go back to Dobbs...he was known for horrible practices, yet turning it on during a game. Coach needs to figure out if Bailey is a game time baller or not. JMO....

Yes, I think some guys play better than they practice. Dobbs, for example. Unfortunately, I know first hand that if you don't show what you can do in practice, you rarely get the chance to prove otherwise.

Reactions: Sara Clark
I agree with Basilio's take on today's pc. If Heupel didn't name Hooker the starter today and kept mentioning Milton "graded out higher" than Hooker, then he's all but telling us he's going to trot Milton out there if he's healthy. I hope this turns out to be incorrect.

that’s exactly what he meant without saying it

That exact same running played scored the 1st and 4th TD of the game. Both were run out of shotgun and worked perfectly. For the 4th down play the defensive line shifted a half second before the snap which confused the O-line. Looked like our RG fell down trying to make a block which blocked the RB’s hole and slowed him down. Also the 2 OLBs (one might have been a safety) blitzed the RB where before they had stayed home to make sure the QB didn’t keep it. If Hooker had held onto the ball he would have had an easy TD run to the outside.
. If a frog had wings... The percentages would tell you the chances to gain 6 inches would be better on a QB sneak. Too many things bad can screw up the play (as you described) in the shotgun. Fewer moving parts in the sneak to mess up and that is what most coaches would go with. I think these “new age” offenses get enamored with the shotgun and forget what power football can do. But maybe I’m just too old school. All I know is it didn’t work at a crucial time and it cost us dearly.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster
He hit Hyatt 60 plus yard down field, but it was dropped (holding call would have brought it back also). I think Heupel's thinking on Milton is that he can make the right decisions in the short game and get it to the receiver in a hurry, and that he has shown he can make those 60-80 yard throws in practice and in the Hyatt throw previously referenced. Heupel probably doesn't want to throw away the most talented arm too soon, thinking that he can work on trajectory and timing issues. As you will recall, last year Harrison's deep ball trajectory was too flat and he improved in the spring as evidenced in the O&W game where he placed some dimes. Heupel probably thinks that Milton can correct it with repetition. He's basically got a young Nolan Ryan who is walking too many batters/throwing too many wild pitches. What to do? Trade him (let Milton transfer), demote him to the minors (2nd/3rd string), or work through the control issues hoping that he will become the all-star that his talent rates? I don't have the answer to that, and I'm not sure Heupel does either.
We don’t have an Oline for 60 yard bombs. Not every game will be against BG and TTech

Meh. The way the O Line has played pretty much ensures that everybody will get what they want and we will see all three QBs this year. Maybe one of the scout team QBs as well.

Reactions: krichunaka
I was sitting there looking dead at it. It was not on time nor was it a good throw. The ball hung.
Milton threw the ball as soon as feasible (watch the front end of the play) and it travelled nearly 70 yards. Even he can't put that on a rope consistently (and isn't not putting enough air on the ball what we are complaining about). The pass hit Hyatt in the hands, he has to catch that. Jennings makes that catch, Marquez makes that catch, Tillman makes that catch, Palmer makes that catch.

Milton has had a problem with overthrows, we all know that. This pass is not an example of that. This should have been a TD (except for the holding call).

We don’t have an Oline for 60 yard bombs. Not every game will be against BG and TTech
You are right, of course. But, that's what Heupel has alluded to several times...a QB who can extend plays with mobility and chuck it vertically. It explains what he likes about Milton.

Milton threw the ball as soon as feasible (watch the front end of the play) and it travelled nearly 70 yards. Even he can't put that on a rope consistently (and isn't not putting enough air on the ball what we are complaining about). The pass hit Hyatt in the hands, he has to catch that. Jennings makes that catch, Marquez makes that catch, Tillman makes that catch, Palmer makes that catch.

Milton has had a problem with overthrows, we all know that. This pass is not an example of that. This should have been a TD (except for the holding call).

I though Hyatt had caught the ball, and only dropped it after he died.

You are right, of course. But, that's what Heupel has alluded to several times...a QB who can extend plays with mobility and chuck it vertically. It explains what he likes about Milton.
From Coach JP’s demeanor, I’m not sure he can say no to Milton. Also After 135yards in penalties, he didn’t raise an eyebrow.

If he starts making personnel decisions based on pleasing fans, all is lost.
I’m not really sure that’s what I suggested. If he thinks Milton is the guy, make the case and stand with it. Otherwise, now is the time...before SEC play, to see what else you have. Being hardheaded about a floundering QB situation, without quickly addressing it depletes any good will the fans may have.

I'm going to give Heupel the benefit of the doubt here. No reason at this point to believe he would sabotage his big opportunity at this level just cause he's stubborn or stupid. If in practice Milton is clearly the best passer of the 3 plus he has the size to get some tough yards for crucial 1st downs, it would be awful hard to not think he's your best chance of winning games. Based purely on what we have seen, it's an easy decision to go with Hooker. But...we haven't seen nearly the number of reps of all 3 QBs that Heupel has. It's not a good situation. You want a guy to take the job and run away with it. So far, nobody has. Maybe Milton will be better coming off the bench. I'd like to see that Saturday.
We also have tape of miltons entire career. he has never improved. at all. If Heupel starts him then it confirms he is actually dumb.
he is a senior dude. he has played this way since high school. it will not change but it will cost us games.

VN Store

Back