Josh Heupel Press Conference (9.13.21)

Sara Clark

*Heupel on #Vols’ defense not having forced any turnovers so far this season: It’s not for a lack of stressing it. At the end of the day, you’ve got to continue to get your hands on balls. We’ve had our hands on a couple. Just got to continue to strain and play hard.

* Byron Young will be able to play this week. He’s a guy who’s grown a lot within our program. He’s added 25, 30 pounds since joining us in January. I think he’s going to add some things we need.

* I really like a lot of what Tyler Baron has done so far this year.

* We’ve seen Joe Milton hit those plays in practices and scrimmages. There’s plenty of guys running behind the defense that we’ve got to hit.

* I thought Hendon Hooker answered the bell with a lot of positive things throughout the course of the game. Obviously, we’ve got to take care of the ball.

* Tiyon Evans was moving around OK today. All those injured guys, we don’t know anything for certain on them right now.

* We’re going to find out a lot about our football team from the way they approach being in the building today.” Just being in the team meeting and being on the field with them, good energy, but also able to flip the switch and move on.

* I thought Kingston Harris did a good job. We felt we weren’t as deep as we wanted to be on the OL heading into the season. Thought Harris played pretty well during the course of the game. There are some things in pass protection we’ve got to do a better job of.

* Heupel says there are “multiple factors” that will be taken into consideration this week, including Milton’s health, in deciding on a starting quarterback.

* Watching the video — Joe knows this, too — there are some opportunities to make some plays in the passing game. They’re plays we have to make. He’s shown he has the ability to do that. Don’t know where Milton is health-wise at this moment.

* “I think we all believe we have a chance to be a good football team.”

Last edited:
I still think that this is a good team that can improve and compete and win. So Heupel deserves credit for the improvements. However, I am worn down by coaches making bad decisions. If Heupel continues sabotaging the team with bad coaching decisions, my enthusiasm will suffer. Truth be told, it's already on a Nantucket sleigh ride.

Last edited:
Pruitt was horrible in these pressers. Heupel handles it much better. But I see how these coaches get frustrated.

One of the questions was, have you talked to Milton about his touch on the ball and over throwing receivers? I am way too sarcastic to field any questions like that.

Pruitt was horrible in these pressers. Heupel handles it much better. But I see how these coaches get frustrated.

One of the questions was, have you talked to Milton about his touch on the ball and over throwing receivers? I am way too sarcastic to field any questions like that.

Without the question, he won't touch on the subject. Dumb question, yes. But, the only way to get the coach to maybe touch on the biggest question Vol fans have.

Reactions: Samthebam and 08Vol
After the first game, I told my husband that Heupel would have NO choice but to play another QB because Milton would end up getting hurt. I just didn't think it would happen until SEC play. If he brings Milton back in for SEC play, my prediction is still the same. His awareness of who's coming after him in the pocket is next to non existent....he will get hurt.

Well, that is contingent on whether you keep trying to make a quarter horse run the derby like it’s suddenly a thoroughbred. Milton will not suddenly start performing like Johnny U when the lights come on and he’s playing against sec defenses. Instead, you need to play Bailey and Hook equally on this easy, unimportant, game and see who’s our baller. Inquiring minds want to know. Because all we know is Milton should be competing in the javelin in the next Olympics…not for any SEC football team (including ours). Lastly, you can’t judge everything on practice when all you all are doing is playing two hand touch with the QBs. Clearly your best “practice QB” isn’t what you said/thought he was in a live game. GBO!

Last edited:

Well, that is contingent on whether you keep trying to make a quarter horse run the derby like it’s a suddenly a thoroughbred. Milton will not suddenly start performing like Johnny U when the lights come on and he’s playing against sec defenses. Instead, you need to play Bailey and Hook equally on this easy, unimportant, game and see who’s our baller. Inquiring minds want to know. Because all we know is Milton should be competing in the javelin in the next Olympics…not for any SEC football team (including ours). Lastly, you can’t judge everything on practice when all you all are doing is playing two hand touch with the QBs. Clearly your best “practice QB” isn’t what you said/thought he was. GBO!

What if all you have in the stable are quarter horses? And if you don't judge how someone does in practice, what do you base your decision on?

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
What if all you have in the stable are quarter horses? And if you don't judge how someone does in practice, what do you base your decision on?

Run your horses and see who performs best in an actual race! Hook and Bailey need to play under the lights, real time! No false 2 hand touch scrimmages!

Most definitely. But who is the press trying to inform?

I guess I am just not following the train of thought here. It was stupid question. If the fans biggest concern is if the coach has talked to our QB about how he is overthrowing open receivers, then I'm not really sure what to make of that.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol

VN Store

Back