Josh Heupel post practice press conference

I might catch h@!! for this but this was the best press conference from a Football coach at UT since Lane Kiffin. He still has to prove it on the field but he sounded like a coach with confidence and intelligence. No stupid sayings or repeatedly saying the same word over and over again. Time will tell but if you can't give this young man a chance then please feel free and find another team because you definitely didn't watch the same thing I did.

This guy may not get it done on the field but I really feel like Heupel loves the game of football and gets excited about coaching it. The impression I got was he was ready to get the heck out of that press conference, because he either had to use the restroom really bad, it was dinner time, he was hungry and ready to go eat or he is itching to get to work breaking down practice #1 and preparing for #2. I think we got ourselves a football nerd and I’m ready to see what he can accomplish here, and I don’t mean this season alone, I mean long term. He’s definitely won me over in the press conference, I just hope he can eventually do it on the field.
GBO!!

“The thing I love about this group, there's a leadership that's starting to take place among the players, where they're staring to hold the guy to the left and the right accountable. Great teams, it's always built from within the locker room. This group is starting to grow in that way.”

This jumped out at me. With so many chemistry issues last year, it’s funny that Heupel already sees leadership emerging.

There was just a lot to like in that press conference. Like I referred to earlier, in every coach there was always something off putting.

Kiffin - "He runs his mouth like an arrogant punk"
Dooley- "He is southern, so there's that.."
Butch - "I like his slogans...the first 10 times he said it"
Pruitt - "Aight?"

But with this guy...I'm trying to find something that I can criticize about him or say that it wont work or that it's going to become an issue down the road....and I just can't. I was worried about defense with him...but then he hired a solid defensive staff. I'm worried about recruiting, but at the same time I am not. I'm confident that Heup is not about Hype. He will recruit by what people see on Saturdays. The product will speak for itself. I am not worried one bit about recruiting when it comes down to it. We will worry about the ones we get, not the ones we dont.

I just genuinely like this guy. He seems like a guy we all know. Like he could be Larry in cubicle #4 with the Dad Bod who constantly makes the lame jokes and always takes a dump in the "No Number 2 Bathroom," but would give you the shirt off of his back and always remembers your birthday, and offers to buy you a beer. You just cant help but like the guy because he is real.

I have never remembered wanting a coach to do as well as I want him to do here. If he fails here, I will genuinely be broken hearted for the guy. I haven't felt that about any coach we have had. That's a positive sign to me.

Like he could be Larry in cubicle #4 with the Dad Bod who constantly makes the lame jokes and always takes a dump in the "No Number 2 Bathroom," but would give you the shirt off of his back and always remembers your birthday, and offers to buy you a beer. You just cant help but like the guy because he is real.

lol

TNHopeful505 said:
"I think his answer about HT and QC were professional too. We will be about anyone who wants to be here, but we aren't wasting energy begging people to be here. Move on. "
EXACTLY...thank you.
I like hearing about leadership within the TEAM. Seeing TEAM leaders developing who take it upon themselves to "coach up" others for the TEAM...not just looking out for themselves and their future NFL contract.
FWIW: I'm staying positive on JH until he gives me reason not to be.
GBO..!!

TLDR: love this guy’s attitude.
Can I just say how much I appreciate CJH’s attitude? No used car salesman hype or corny phrases. No Gump Bumpkin 1980-era football crap. Shoots straight, and even hinted media would be allowed at practices instead of acting like it gives him some competitive advantage to have his depth chart hidden. Talked about simple things on defense, eliminating busts and communication problems- exactly what you should be this time of year. No over the top promises about “being someone nobody in the SEC wants to play.” Just about getting better, which is what this program needs. For all of you who praised Pruitt at first for being “just a good ol’ ball coach,” this is what a ball coach actually sounds like. No over the top anything- just getting better and understanding the value of every day.

Showed some real leadership in the way he address Salter’s situation. Answered the questions straight up. Made no excuses for his behavior, but didn’t really put him on blast or anything either. Set a standard.
Pruitt is just a "good ol' ball coach". But he was promoted beyond his capabilities both as a leader and a coach. His teams were fractured and didn't play well. His philosophy of play stopped working years ago. And when it came down to it... he lacked the integrity necessary to lead the program.

I’ll wait to see what kind of product we put on the field before I judge him, we’ve loved every coach we’ve gotten at first.

We sorta have Stockholm syndrome

People seem all jacked up over Salter. LB is a greater position of need IMO. Willis and French hurt if this is extended.
Depending on the fallout after a starter is announced, we could be down to two QBs by the first game...pretty thin!

Sorry but I can't get excited after coach speak after coach speak after coach speak as the merry-go-round turns and turns and turns. We've had so many head coaches now and they all say the right things and then things go down the proverbial tube. Any coach taking over from a fired HC has to play with the deck he's dealt (current players (that haven't bolted, yet). So, the only place to go is up. Let's hope he can recruit some really good players and further develop the ones we have. All the rah rah isn't going to suddenly put us in the top 25. It's going to have to be earned on the field and at least we have (I think) a HC that can light up the scoreboard, for a change. Let's also hope it doesn't take 8 games to determine when a QB needs to warm the bench.

Sorry but I can't get excited after coach speak after coach speak after coach speak as the merry-go-round turns and turns and turns. We've had so many head coaches now and they all say the right things and then things go down the proverbial tube. Any coach taking over from a fired HC has to play with the deck he's dealt (current players (that haven't bolted, yet). So, the only place to go is up. Let's hope he can recruit some really good players and further develop the ones we have. All the rah rah isn't going to suddenly put us in the top 25. It's going to have to be earned on the field and at least we have (I think) a HC that can light up the scoreboard, for a change. Let's also hope it doesn't take 8 games to determine when a QB needs to warm the bench.

Good post and I agree. I hate press conferences, you learn nothing. They all say the same carefully scripted PR feel good coachisms. JH seems like a good guy, it’s nothing against him personally, but this is big boy football and if he doesn’t start to turn things around by year 3 he will be told to go play in traffic by the masses as well. It’s just the nature of college football.

VN Store

Back