Josh Dobbs Potential Starting QB @ Browns

The Watson contract prohibits the Browns from tanking for a QB.

If you are riding with Watson I don't think you would want to take a QB #1 anyway. Trade the pick or get the best player available - make your team better.

Brissett = turrible

He had to transfer to NC State just to get some playing time in college.

Hear me out... With Brissett you have 6 seasons of proof that he is a capable backup at best and certainly not a plus starting QB. Why not take a chance on Dobbs? If he surprises you and he does well, you enjoy a decent season and you trade him for a high draft pick. If he tanks then you get a "suck for Luck" type draft slot for the '23 draft.

Hear me out....with Dobbs you have a guy going into his 6th season who has taken a handful of snaps in real games, and most of that happened in 2018. Also someone who was 2nd string and lost that role to Mason Rudolph. Dobbs hasn't even been able to prove he can keep a #2 spot. And NB4 "Dobbs hasn't had a chance to prove anything!"....yes...yes he has. Don't even trot out that tired argument.

Who knows if they’ll have any money to sign anyone, assuming there’ll be someone to sign.

I understand the owners not named Haslam are enjoying making Jimmy set a pile of money on fire in this Watson deal.

Josh Dobbs will never get a better shot at a starting job. NFL has recently been obsessed with player stats at QB and - to a lesser extent - other positions. It’s understandable given the size of QB contracts, but it misses the forest for the trees.

There’s some dudes, Brady being the poster boy example, that are just great at finding ways to win.
We’ll see how JD does if he gets extended PT in CLE.

Yeah, but by his 6th year had proven that. Dobbs isn't even in the same universe going into his 6th season.

Hope he wins it. Good kid, smart kid. Browns fans deserve a winner. Not sure management has a clue.
“Not sure management has a clue” is an understatement! 🤣 I was disappointed Dobbs went to Brown britches. I hope he goes somewhere else ASAP AND they lose every game!

I hope Dobbs is staying current on his engineering. Football isn’t forever and the kid has a mind just as amazing as his athletic skills. SpaceX should grab him as soon as he retires 😃

Reactions: tbh and kcvols1
Yeah, but by his 6th year had proven that. Dobbs isn't even in the same universe going into his 6th season.

He’s also never been given the reins in that timeframe. Belichick was king of letting ballers ball, but who’s to say whether he’d have done the same with Dobbs. Brady also benefited from the unexpected life-threatening injury to Bledsoe in a thin QB room.

I’d like to put Tomlin in that same category of letting ballers ball, but the situation was different. I’d like to think Dobbs would have gotten a fair shot against Mason Rudolph, but who knows? He did well enough not to get cut after getting injured last season - which ain’t nothing.

He’s also never been given the reins in that timeframe. Belichick was king of letting ballers ball, but who’s to say whether he’d have done the same with Dobbs. Brady also benefited from the unexpected life-threatening injury to Bledsoe in a thin QB room.

I’d like to put Tomlin in that same category of letting ballers ball, but the situation was different. I’d like to think Dobbs would have gotten a fair shot against Mason Rudolph, but who knows? He did well enough not to get cut after getting injured last season - which ain’t nothing.

And there is a reason for that. There seems to be this idea amoung the orange-colored glasses that Dobbs simply hasn't been given a fair chance, but that's nothing but a major assumption. He's had his chance to prove himself and he hasn't convinced 2 coaching staffs so far that he's a starter. It's not a knock, it's just facts.

I find it extremely hard to belive that Tomlin didn't give him a fair shot, whatever that means, because Tomlin and BR especially wanted him on the team. If anything Tomlin kept him around because he liked him so much and thought he worked very well as almost a coach for BR.

As far as "doing well enough to not get cut last year", him getting injured actually allowed him to not get cut because he was put on the IR for the season. If he hadn't been injured, he likely would have been cut and best case signed to the practice squad.

If he's starting for the Browns, they've likely given up 2022.
And @BigOrangeTrain

You two will eat The Crow.

You all watched Dobbs for 4 years, and never once picked up on his greatest strength.
- To overcome adversity in mid game to comeout on top. He wasn't just a Tebow/Brad Smith mixture of a runner, he was also an outstanding game manager.

So quick to put down your Vols.

I can't wait to bring this thread back up in 4 months.

And @BigOrangeTrain

You two will eat The Crow.

You all watched Dobbs for 4 years, and never once picked up on his greatest strength.
- To overcome adversity in mid game to comeout on top. He wasn't just a Tebow/Brad Smith mixture of a runner, he was also an outstanding game manager.

So quick to put down your Vols.

I can't wait to bring this thread back up in 4 months.
It's not a "put down". We loved Dobbs as QB for our Vols. He was a good college QB and won a bunch of games for us with his quick thinking tendency to take off and run when receivers were covered and/or there was an open field to run. His game doesn't translate to the NFL though, because his passing skills aren't top level. That he has struggled to make rosters the last 4 years supports that opinion. What do you know that NFL coaches don't know? It's not a put down to recognize his skills aren't good enough to make it as a QB in the NFL.

I hope you're right and we see the "I told you so" thread in 4 months. I will be glad to admit I was wrong.

Edit: Every player at every position in the NFL is better than every player at every position in college. Managing a game is a far more COMPLEX in the NFL

Last edited:
And there is a reason for that. There seems to be this idea amoung the orange-colored glasses that Dobbs simply hasn't been given a fair chance, but that's nothing but a major assumption. He's had his chance to prove himself and he hasn't convinced 2 coaching staffs so far that he's a starter. It's not a knock, it's just facts.

I find it extremely hard to belive that Tomlin didn't give him a fair shot, whatever that means, because Tomlin and BR especially wanted him on the team. If anything Tomlin kept him around because he liked him so much and thought he worked very well as almost a coach for BR.

As far as "doing well enough to not get cut last year", him getting injured actually allowed him to not get cut because he was put on the IR for the season. If he hadn't been injured, he likely would have been cut and best case signed to the practice squad.

Agreed that there’s a reason for that. It may be that he hasn’t gotten a fair shake, and it may be he hasn’t distinguished himself in practice, but it could be both - or neither.

Either way, it’s an interesting debate. I doubt either of our opinions would ever be vindicated.

My only point is that ability and opportunity have to mesh, and they don’t always in the League.

Reactions: mtrp
It's not a "put down". We loved Dobbs as QB for our Vols. He was a good college QB and won a bunch of games for us with his quick thinking tendency to take off and run when receivers were covered and/or there was an open field to run. His game doesn't translate to the NFL though, because his passing skills aren't top level. That he has struggled to make rosters the last 4 years supports that opinion. What do you know that NFL coaches don't know? It's not a put down to recognize his skills aren't good enough to make it as a QB in the NFL.

I hope you're right and we see the "I told you so" thread in 4 months. I will be glad to admit I was wrong.

Edit: Every player at every position in the NFL is better than every player at every position in college. Managing a game is a far more COMPLEX in the NFL
You better...

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

Dude, they don't call their own plays and have radios in their helmets for cryin' out loud. They execute these days and not manage much of anything. It's not like the Bradshaw days where they called their own plays and managed a game.

Reactions: OneVolNation
Dude, they don't call their own plays and have radios in their helmets for cryin' out loud. They execute these days and not manage much of anything. It's not like the Bradshaw days where they called their own plays and managed a game.
I know what they do and it isn't as simple as you claim.

1657551795727.png
OK, this might take some getting used to but, if Josh becomes the Browns starter, the Browns will rise to be my #2 team in the NFL behind Green Bay. (did I just say that???)

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back