Josh Dobbs Potential Starting QB @ Browns

The league is littered with quarterbacks who liked to run their way out of breakdowns. They can’t take the hits. Griffen and Bridgewater are 2 that immediately come to mind. And we’ve been watching and seeing for the last 3-4 years and he hasn’t made it happen yet.

While I agree with you on your overall Dobbs take - Bridgewater is the exact opposite of a guy that can run their way out of breakdowns. He wasn't even in the top 25 of rushing yards by a QB (aggregate or per game) last year. He was even less of a dual threat in college.

I seriously doubt the Browns are going into the season banking on Dobbs being their starting QB; if Watson is suspended for the season as expected, Brissett will be the starter. And this assumes the Browns don't get another QB, which they probably are going to.

Dobbs' outlook likely hasn't changed much at all and he's probably still looking at not making the final roster and ending up on the practice squad.

Who knows if they’ll have any money to sign anyone, assuming there’ll be someone to sign.

I understand the owners not named Haslam are enjoying making Jimmy set a pile of money on fire in this Watson deal.

Josh Dobbs will never get a better shot at a starting job. NFL has recently been obsessed with player stats at QB and - to a lesser extent - other positions. It’s understandable given the size of QB contracts, but it misses the forest for the trees.

There’s some dudes, Brady being the poster boy example, that are just great at finding ways to win.
We’ll see how JD does if he gets extended PT in CLE.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Yep, and a lot of really rich people make you go---"How the hell did they do it?" With seemingly no brains or skills.

It’s called hitting the ovarian lottery.

Nearly impossible to fail with that much of Daddy’s money when you just manage to show up on time and hire good people.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Hear me out... With Brissett you have 6 seasons of proof that he is a capable backup at best and certainly not a plus starting QB. Why not take a chance on Dobbs? If he surprises you and he does well, you enjoy a decent season and you trade him for a high draft pick. If he tanks then you get a "suck for Luck" type draft slot for the '23 draft.

Hear me out... With Brissett you have 6 seasons of proof that he is a capable backup at best and certainly not a plus starting QB. Why not take a chance on Dobbs? If he surprises you and he does well, you enjoy a decent season and you trade him for a high draft pick. If he tanks then you get a "suck for Luck" type draft slot for the '23 draft.
Dobbs was signed to a one year deal so there will be no option for Cleveland to trade him.

You guys expecting him to start realize he's only played a handful of snaps during garbage time in one regular season game in the past 3 seasons.

Ehhh saints played a gimped teddy bridgewater and a converted te. Dare say Dobbs could beat out either of them:

Dude, Teddy B looked great with Michael Thomas, Kamara, and a head hunting defense.

Dobbs ain’t got none of that in Cleveland. Still, it’s an NFL opportunity!

Dobbs was signed to a one year deal so there will be no option for Cleveland to trade him.

You guys expecting him to start realize he's only played a handful of snaps during garbage time in one regular season game in the past 3 seasons.

I expect him not to start, but if I were a Browns fan, I would rather start Dobbs than Brissett.
Then, realizing I'm a Browns fan, I would reconsider my life choices.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Dude, Teddy B looked great with Michael Thomas, Kamara, and a head hunting defense.

Dobbs ain’t got none of that in Cleveland. Still, it’s an NFL opportunity!
Thomas hasn’t played in years it seems. I am glad dobbs will actually have a shot tho. No matter how bad Big Ben was the Steelers were never gonna bench him

Reactions: kcvols1
At least there's still space for his name
iu
Crazy. The NFL is a meat grinder.

I believe he deserves the chance to do it. I know the Browns have been a great example of how not to run a football team, but they still have some nice pieces to work with. I wish Dobbs nothing but the best. I believe, he gave his all for our beloved university and want to see him succeed!

I still hope Dobbs beats him out for the starting spot. This is probably his last opportunity in the NFL.

Cool connection. I own two of Jacoby Brissett's bespoke tailored suits. I won them in a charity auction. Apparently we have the exact same measurements. He has exquisite tastes.

The Watson contract prohibits the Browns from tanking for a QB.

Reactions: kcvols1
The Browns are projected to have the 5th best O line in 2022. Amari Cooper and Njoku are great targets. Stacked at RB with Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt (also a decent target) and ole' buddy John Kelly might see some time. I can see Dobbs looking very good and having success with this crew. Can he beat out a mediocre veteran? I can see it. Brissett had the #3 OL in the NFL in 2019 with a team projected as a Super Bowl contender before Andrew Luck threw in the towel. Colts went 7-9. I agree with others that say this is his best shot yet to get a starting job.

VN Store

Back