Jordan Bone or Tony Harris?

Bone. And I’d take him over CJ too. Better defender and his speed did so much to put pressure on opposing defenses.

Bone was one of the best pure PGs we’ve ever had. He was one of those guys that seemed faster dribbling the ball down the court than the other guys without the ball. He also had great court vision and could stop and go on a dime. I know Grant and Admiral got all the publicity on those teams but Bone was just as important because he was a true floor general. Something we have sorely missed the past couple of years. There was a reason Barnes was so hard on him, he knew Bone was talented and wanted to get the best out of him.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Jordan Bone turned into a better player at UT then Tony Harris did. Harris was a more consistent player all four years here though. Tony came to UT because he wanted to become a better player and be coached hard by Kevin O'Neil. What he got was not being coached by Jerry Green. If Tony played under Coach Barnes, his career would have been totally different.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Someone else said it on here first - Tony Harris had a consistent 4 year career . . . while Bone probably got above that ceiling but then didn’t return for what could have been a truly special senior campaign. Oh well. Therefore, I’m going with Harris.

Reactions: VOLED and The Dog
Bone was one of the best pure PGs we’ve ever had. He was one of those guys that seemed faster dribbling the ball down the court than the other guys without the ball. He also had great court vision and could stop and go on a dime. I know Grant and Admiral got all the publicity on those teams but Bone was just as important because he was a true floor general. Something we have sorely missed the past couple of years. There was a reason Barnes was so hard on him, he knew Bone was talented and wanted to get the best out of him.
You may be stretching a little to say bone was the best pure pg. His best asset was his speed, he was a good basketball player with elite speed. Tony Harris and Cj Watson were both better point guards than Bone.

You may be stretching a little to say bone was the best pure pg. His best asset was his speed, he was a good basketball player with elite speed. Tony Harris and Cj Watson were both better point guards than Bone.
Reread again. I said “one of the best”. I just preferred Bone’s style for the teams that he played on. He didn’t need to score because we had Grant and Admiral and he was very unselfish. If we needed him to score, he could do it but that wasn’t asked of him because we had great post players. Barnes needed him to handle the ball and run the plays. He was the perfect PG for Barnes’ system. There were countless times we would get easy points where he would be beyond the 3 point line and we would have Bowden or someone else running baseline and get an easy oop play. I never said he was THE BEST.

This is why I wish Bone would have stayed another year. He had great speed and was a decent shooter, but he was inconsistent finishing at the rim (he had little difficulty getting TO the rim) and needed to work on distributing the ball. Bone did play pretty good defense and wasn’t easy to trap. Reliable free throw shooter as well. Hopefully Chandler checks all of the boxes.

Reactions: jarnol32
I would like to have seen Jordan Bone on a team where he was THE guy. Were here asked to push up constantly and score primarily, then he would have been considered ones of the all time greats imo. He ran Barnes system amazingly well and was the QB of probably our greatest team of all time.

I would like to have seen Jordan Bone on a team where he was THE guy. Were here asked to push up constantly and score primarily, then he would have been considered ones of the all time greats imo. He ran Barnes system amazingly well and was the QB of probably our greatest team of all time.
That could have been his senior year, but hell, he got drafted and got paid

This is why I wish Bone would have stayed another year. He had great speed and was a decent shooter, but he was inconsistent finishing at the rim (he had little difficulty getting TO the rim) and needed to work on distributing the ball. Bone did play pretty good defense and wasn’t easy to trap. Reliable free throw shooter as well. Hopefully Chandler checks all of the boxes.
Bone was consistent at the rim his Junior season. I agree he was surprisingly inconsistent at the rim his first 2 seasons. IMHO

Bone. Both talented players, but Harris was a headcase. Weak Jerry Green didn't help.

Of course, I'd take CJ over both without any hesitation

Yeah, my recollection is that Harris was a real winner in his freshman season. He may have (or not) had good stats after that, but he no longer had the winning attitude. Bone was just the opposite. He got better as time went on.

I will go with Bone. Who cares if you get lot's of stats if your team ends up losing? I want a winner on my team.

Reactions: vols 30

VN Store

Back