Jolly hired as the next LV HC

I think it's unfair to judge before giving a chance to someone...but this hire disappoints me. I thought for sure UTK could attract a big name coach or a great up and coming coach. Instead, we go the predictable route of hiring a former LV who had one good run in the NCAA tournament with an iffy coaching record.
I think her contract should be incentive-laden and have a good buy out.
I think Harper really needs to focus on getting great assistants. I desperately want to see a modern game for the Lady Vols, not the same old dated offense we've seen under Warlick.
At a certain point this program and its fans MUST accept that Summitt is gone, and she will never return. With that also comes the death of a style of basketball that no longer can win championships offensively.
I'm willing to give her a chance obviously. But I will be highly critical the moment she seems over her head. Because that means that the LVs will slide further into irrelevancy as she and the team struggles.
I'm hoping Westbrook stays so she can be coached by a former PG. Harper will have PLENTY of talent to work with next year.

She's not the second coming of Pat Summitt, but then, she's not a rerun of Holly Warlick.
This is the most important thing. Holly needed to go. Kellie's not my first choice, but a.) still a million times better than Holly b.) could potentially do very well as the HC and c.) it's not inconceivable to think she could bring Tennessee back to the upper tiers of the sport.

Kellie is the best we could get right now. Just not enough money for a big name coach. The Lady Vols lose money right now... of course that could change with a dynamic new coach. With a championship season they could break even or make a small profit. There are just not enough Benjamins for the millions it would take to lure away top coaching talent. I think that became quite clear during the Waltz flirtation. Kellie is a Lady Vol Legend, this year's national COY, just had a really nice season, and comes cheaper than just about anybody we would hire. What's not to like?

Since we've had this conversation over and over and over, I'll just repost what I said elsewhere:
"The problem I have is that Holly's worst years, let's call them the "fireable years" gave us an 86-47 record (65% in the SEC), but Kellie's best four year period is 90-45 (67%), which was the last three seasons with Western Carolina and the first with NC State. In fact, Holly' was 25-8 last year, which is better than any season Kellie has yet had.

Traditionally, folks that are hired because of one run in the tournament tend to mediocrity at their next stop, while folks that have great success (not marginal or "yeah, but" situations) at less prestigious places (like, for instance, Pearl) tend to be pretty successful when they move up."

Every hire is a gamble, but there are several coaches who are way more successful at mid-majors who would be way less risky.

I hope Kelly is the exception, but I don't expect it.

These are legit points w data. But, I'm looking at this in 2 basic ways. #1 Harper > Warlick #2 UT has better talent than most of the SEC right now.

My point @ contending now is that we already have the horses. Somewhat better coaching should lead to handling the SEC teams and maybe stealing a couple from the elite SECs.

I'm somewhat concerned @ Harper's lackluster record too. Certainly not convinced we have a star. Time will tell how she does at an elite prog.

What @ having a 2nd women's only AD and staff would have made this "theoretical" search any different?
It wouldn’t but it’s fun to think about cause girl power.

I thought maybe they rolled the dice on a big name but realistically the program has lost money lately. KJH will probably excite the fan base but idk if at the end of the day that we’re any better off.

It hasn’t gone unnoticed that the posters who are the most vocally disappointed, appalled, embarrassed or whatever else they are feeling, are people that have shown up on this board very recently. Are you all really even fans of the Lady Vols? It just seems odd that the majority of the most negative voices pertaining to the coaching hire are newbies to the board — at least to me.

You all can think what you want, but I have to say, some of you are sounding like the most miserable people I’ve ever seen on message boards. You might want to stop and think whether focusing so much of your time and energy on negative expressions is a healthy choice for you. Constantly being in a negative mindset when all you ever seem to communicate is how inept you think others are, or how unqualified someone is, or how cheap you think something is, or how so terribly awful a job they’re going to do, is dangeous. Seriously, you might want to try now and then to shift your thoughts to consider finding something positive to say.

Take care of yourselves!

It wouldn’t but it’s fun to think about cause girl power.

I thought maybe they rolled the dice on a big name but realistically the program has lost money lately. KJH will probably excite the fan base but idk if at the end of the day that we’re any better off.

I hope we are. I'm not thrilled from a stats pov. But, I loved her presser.

Since we've had this conversation over and over and over, I'll just repost what I said elsewhere:
"The problem I have is that Holly's worst years, let's call them the "fireable years" gave us an 86-47 record (65% in the SEC), but Kellie's best four year period is 90-45 (67%), which was the last three seasons with Western Carolina and the first with NC State. In fact, Holly' was 25-8 last year, which is better than any season Kellie has yet had.

Traditionally, folks that are hired because of one run in the tournament tend to mediocrity at their next stop, while folks that have great success (not marginal or "yeah, but" situations) at less prestigious places (like, for instance, Pearl) tend to be pretty successful when they move up."

Every hire is a gamble, but there are several coaches who are way more successful at mid-majors who would be way less risky.

I hope Kelly is the exception, but I don't expect it.

Wow can't believe you are taking one comparison and rendering verdict on that basis....

What about fact that Holly was blessed with multiple HS All Americans essentially each year..... something Kellie didn't have.....

On this forum we judge Geno as less of a great coach because he is in a weaker conference...... if we are going just by records and not looking behind the curtain, then whole lot of peoples assumptions and beliefs would change

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Well, call me crazy, but I had a dream last night. Someone made a bucket and we went up late in a game. There was a missed call and KJH was at half court calling a timeout and letting the official have it. Hopefully this is a premonition.

Also, I've clearly been way too concerned with the coaching search, crazy how a simple hobby can mean so much to you.

Well, call me crazy, but I had a dream last night. Someone made a bucket and we went up late in a game. There was a missed call and KJH was at half court calling a timeout and letting the official have it. Hopefully this is a premonition.

Also, I've clearly been way too concerned with the coaching search, crazy how a simple hobby can mean so much to you.

Whatever you say, Crazy.

j/k

Actually, prefer to call you The Oracle of Knoxville (AJA K-Town Orc).

Just let us know when you have a vision of Kellie cutting the final link on the net and raising it while a weeping Geno holds the ladder.

Whatever you say, Crazy.

j/k

Actually, prefer to call you The Oracle of Knoxville (AJA K-Town Orc).

Just let us know when you have a vision of Kellie cutting the final link on the net and raising it while a weeping Geno holds the ladder.

Will do ;)

I was just happy to see someone on our sideline calling a timeout for a change.

Reactions: creekdipper
During press conference, she said UT will play an “up tempo” game. Does that mean we will see a lot of turnovers and poor shot selection?
Actually she might do ok. Time will tell.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Wow can't believe you are taking one comparison and rendering verdict on that basis....

What about fact that Holly was blessed with multiple HS All Americans essentially each year..... something Kellie didn't have.....

On this forum we judge Geno as less of a great coach because he is in a weaker conference...... if we are going just by records and not looking behind the curtain, then whole lot of peoples assumptions and beliefs would change

Did you read the part of my statement that started "Traditionally..." Seems like you didn't. There was no verdict, just a prediction (which, especially now that Kellie is officially the coach, I hope doesn't hold up in this instance) based on historical precedence. She was coaching in a league where the other coaches didn't have HS All-Americans as well. With a level playing field, her production has still been less than stellar. There are mid-major and Division II and III coaches with Geno-like dominance over their competition. And, TRADITIONALLY, those are the ones who succeed as they move up while the ones with records like Kellie's traditionally do not. It's not impossible, it's just unusual.

I get that folks want to emphasize all the "extenuating circumstances", but, again, traditionally the extenuating circumstances simply don't matter.

Having said all that, she's our coach now, so I'm through talking about her past. She's young enough to continue learning as a coach. She's plenty energetic and engaged. I will pull for her every game. I hope she's held to as high a standard as Holly has been, and I hope she successfully reaches that standard.

Reactions: creekdipper

VN Store

Back