Jolly hired as the next LV HC

After watching Tennessee play disinterested basketball for many years now, I am hopeful this will put some fire back into the program. If she can maintain recruiting and put some intensity into the team, it could work out. She has to show results, and that means she has to recruit and recruit big. You don't win without the horses, as Pat's father would have said. A bit disappointed Tennessee didn't push further up the ladder, but with football still spinning its wheels, and UCLA sneaking around in the backyard, I imagine this had a great deal of attraction. A reasonable choice that won't break the bank or put Tennessee's budget at greater risk, especially considering what the top names in women's basketball get to draw now. If it fails to work out, then one would hope he can revisit the decision with a recovered football program and a successful basketball program in his back pocket.

But that said, I certainly hope it works out.

Reactions: creekdipper
Like one of our former SecDefs mentioned, "You go to war with what you have, not what you wished you had or wanted to have." KJH is our gal running things on The Hill, let's get behind her and the LVBB team. Give them time before roasting the staff or players please. Not 7 years of medicrity and futility time, but certainly 2 or 3 years to see what product KJH can put on the floor.

140 million/yr UTAD annual budget and we can't currently scrape together 7 figures for a wbb HC.

You'd think the university would do more for what is arguably their signature program. Oh well.

Some people are just contrarians. kellie is undefeated as “our” coach. Let it rest until the Lady Vols lose at least one 1 game. Your complaining isn’t going to change a thing, it will just make you feel superior if the team doesn’t go go undefeated and win the National Championship, and then you will complain that they didn’t win by 20 points.

I don’t think she has the resume or moxie to make anyone want to stay or think anything will be different under her than they were with Holly.

She is a 3 time national champion and reigning coach of the year.... it will all depend on how she is in front of the players and families..... she definitely had her last teams attention.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
She is a 3 time national champion and reigning coach of the year.... it will all depend on how she is in front of the players and families..... she definitely had her last teams attention.
I hope she cal sell herself. She hasn’t recruited well thus far, so I won’t hold my breath. I love the Lady Vols and pray she can and will be successful.

Reactions: livefaith
Kay Yow was NC State's Pat Summitt so there's a little bit of a parallel here. Harper succeed Yow, did reasonably well with CKY's players in year one, but every year got worse thereafter. Harper got fired after 4 years with a .528 winning pct., and an abysmal record in ACC play.

SW Missouri was a good fit for her.

I'm excited for the potential here. She is now going to have resources, facilities, and fan support like she's never had before.

Congrats, Coach Harper!
Kay Yow was NC State's Pat Summitt so there's a little bit of a parallel here. Harper succeed Yow, did reasonably well with CKY's players in year one, but every year got worse thereafter. Harper got fired after 4 years with a .528 winning pct., and an abysmal record in ACC play.

SW Missouri was a good fit for her.
LOL both of these things are true, and thus the dilemma! Let's be honest, KJH record would not have merited her an interview but for her ties and her nice tourney run this year. But its also true she's never had the resources she just inherited. Its a gamble for sure, but now that we know the money for a star hire was never going to be available, and interest in the job was much more limited than we thought, it was always going to be a bet on someone.

It will be interesting for sure, and I hope for the best.

LOL both of these things are true, and thus the dilemma! Let's be honest, KJH record would not have merited her an interview but for her ties and her nice tourney run this year. But its also true she's never had the resources she just inherited. Its a gamble for sure, but now that we know the money for a star hire was never going to be available, and interest in the job was much more limited than we thought, it was always going to be a bet on someone.

It will be interesting for sure, and I hope for the best.

Does anyone know how the staff hirings will be handled?

Will she be able to pick her own or was the interviews with the older coaches like Balcomb, etc. done to see if there is any interest on their part to be an advisor or consultant much in the same way Dawn Staley used Balcomb to overhaul the South Carolina offense?

I think Matthew Mitchell at Kentucky used Dunn in the same way these past few seasons. Both programs certainly benefited from the knowledge both former coaches brought to their teams.

Maybe KJH should be introduced to Coach Jumper??? (wink, wink)

Some people are just contrarians. kellie is undefeated as “our” coach. Let it rest until the Lady Vols lose at least one 1 game. Your complaining isn’t going to change a thing, it will just make you feel superior if the team doesn’t go go undefeated and win the National Championship, and then you will complain that they didn’t win by 20 points.

UT is a WBB blue blood, not that far removed from being THE top program in the game. Again, the UTAD has a 140 mil budget - we should have interviewed everyone this side of Geno. KJH is an orange-dyed-in-the-wool VFL but she is NOT a top 25 wbb coach, even if her salary puts her barely in the top 25. There was hope that Fulmer's decision on Holly meant the university would reignite our storied program, but that apparently was a pipe dream.

Harper's body of work speaks for itself. 15 years as HC, one sweet sixteen. CHW blows that away - 3 Elite 8s in 7 years and a much higher winning pct. AND was a better LV athlete (notice the banner in TBA?)

My pointing out the obvious - that on paper the Harper hire is NOT an upgrade - is not contrarian, it's merely a fact. If rumors are correct that Fulmer is a short-timer, then a new AD may treat Lady Vol basketball with the respect it so sorely deserves.

UT is a WBB blue blood, not that far removed from being THE top program in the game. Again, the UTAD has a 140 mil budget - we should have interviewed everyone this side of Geno. KJH is an orange-dyed-in-the-wool VFL but she is NOT a top 25 wbb coach, even if her salary puts her barely in the top 25. There was hope that Fulmer's decision on Holly meant the university would reignite our storied program, but that apparently was a pipe dream.

Harper's body of work speaks for itself. 15 years as HC, one sweet sixteen. CHW blows that away - 3 Elite 8s in 7 years and a much higher winning pct. AND was a better LV athlete (notice the banner in TBA?)

My pointing out the obvious - that on paper the Harper hire is NOT an upgrade - is not contrarian, it's merely a fact. If rumors are correct that Fulmer is a short-timer, then a new AD may treat Lady Vol basketball with the respect it so sorely deserves.

I am sure Fulmer felt some urgency to make the hire sooner than later so the program did not lie in limbo.

Again, people started to confuse wish lists and rumors with list of viable candidates. Established coaches are hard to move and it is not always about $.

Mulkey, Walz, and McGraw were NEVER viable candidates.

Going with an assistant has obvious risks.

Perhaps Fulmer interviewed KJH and was impressed with her poise and knowledge.

Time will tell but the ship has sailed.

As for Holly's record, it was a tale of two cities; pretty good for her first three years and increasingly dismal over the last four.

UT is a WBB blue blood, not that far removed from being THE top program in the game
Actually, more than a decade removed now. Which is over half the lifetime of current recruits. The status of the program is wwwwaaayyy different in some fans minds than in current players and coaches minds. Which is why top coaches were not exactly lined up at PFs door.
pointing out the obvious - that on paper the Harper hire is NOT an upgrade
Unfortunately, HWs last four season were not played out on paper, but on a basketball court in public. Any evaluation of HWs coaching ability that uses only her W/L record and not the trend of unimaginable awfulness the last four yrs is invalid and disingenuous from the start.

Paper be damned, there is NO possibility KHJ (or almost any coach in the universe) couldn't do better than the disorganized, dispirited, land of lost kids horror show we just came out of. Saying KJH will do better than that is an easy and very low bar.

VN Store

Back