Johnny Majors Passed Away

One thing that has yet to be mentioned, he knew how to spot coaching talent.

Coaching tree[edit]
The following assistant coaches under Johnny Majors became college or professional head coaches:

Last edited:
One thing that has yet to be mentioned, he know how to spot coaching talent.

Coaching tree[edit]
The following assistant coaches under Johnny Majors became college or professional head coaches:

Not sure Randy Sanders and Ron Zook qualify as coaching talent...

One thing I want to acknowledge with Coach Majors. With all due respect to Coach Fulmer and not taking anything away from his accomplishments. Tennessee’s success in the 90’s DOES NOT HAPPEN if Coach Majors does not return to Coach at Tennessee. Coach Majors reestablished a winning culture at Tennessee, he raised the level of recruiting at Tennessee that it took to compete for SEC/National championships. He laid the foundation that Fulmer continue to build on. Coach Major's DNA is all over the success we had in the 90's.

A true Tennessee volunteer legend who symbolized what it means to be a vol and inspired thousands, me included, to weave the fabric of vol fandom into the core of their being. RIP Coach. View attachment 284538
I have this exact same personalized and autographed photo. It sits on a shelf in my office beside the television.

RIP Coach. Him and Dye passing in the same week is almost poetic.

10392656.jpg
Can you imagine the war stories those two will be swapping soon?
RIP coach Majors
VFL
GBO!!

I just got out of a meeting, got back to my desk and read this.

I'm so sad to read this. God Bless and Keep Coach, may he Rest in Peace.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
This one hurts. I was always a big fan of Mr. John Majors.

I am in denial -- thought it couldn't be true on the heels of pat dye's passing.

Was in Knoxville at the the time of his hiring to cover Duke's game against vols, having been assigned by the Durham morning-herald to do a feature story about Johnny's homecoming.
Never had the pleasure to meet him, but was a big fan of Johnny, his family and even enjoyed several visits to Lynchburg and Sewanee.

My dad had the pleasure of watching him play his entire career at Tennessee and when i was in grade school he delivered a sermon on Johnny, Hornung and the Heisman. It was at tale he never tired of telling.

Time for some Black Jack

VN Store

Back