John Wooden dies at 99

He massively overplayed the pious simpleton thing. He was the beneficiary of big time cheating and knew it, but played the choir boy all the time. Clearly he was a good coach and player, but his talent advantage was probably the largest ever in the collegiate game and that was assured by someone else's money.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
He did do his thing in tinseltown, after all.

The hagiography over a guy who would never have won anything if it weren't for a mobster's money is sickeningly cloying. I don't care about his cheating; I don't care about John Wooden either way. But all this "greatest coach of all time" crap is ridiculous. When Bobby Knight (who was ten times the coach) dies, ESPN will run an endless series of segments "debating his legacy." But Wooden -- arguably the greatest cheater of all time -- expires and it's like Santa Claus died. Maybe the lesson is that if you live long enough to be old and frail but still publicly visible and "cute," people will ignore anything.
Bobby Knight was ten times the coach but had how many titles compared to the late Wooden? Please don't deify Knight, he ain't a saint. If you don't care about Wooden or his legacy, why are you here?

Bobby Knight was ten times the coach but had how many titles compared to the late Wooden? Please don't deify Knight, he ain't a saint. If you don't care about Wooden or his legacy, why are you here?

Because it disgusts me that people are acting like the messiah died. Wooden was a fine coach who just happened to have somebody nakedly buying him the best players in the country. But if Jesus Christ had been crucified all over again today, they couldn't be running any more glowing and soft-focus obituaries for him than they are for John Wooden. At some point everybody decided that he was old enough to be beyond criticism. Wooden is the sports equivalent of freaking Hirohito.

He's ninety-nine years old...Jesus was...30 something and never won any titles.

lalalala...I'm just in a bad mood

Because it disgusts me that people are acting like the messiah died. Wooden was a fine coach who just happened to have somebody nakedly buying him the best players in the country. But if Jesus Christ had been crucified all over again today, they couldn't be running any more glowing and soft-focus obituaries for him than they are for John Wooden. At some point everybody decided that he was old enough to be beyond criticism. Wooden is the sports equivalent of freaking Hirohito.
Here's my point, I really don't care about the baggage. The man just passed away and from what I've seen of him over the years was a gentle and caring man. I don't really know about his dealings with the Gilbert phantom and couldn't care less. I believe it's just distasteful to speak ill of the recently dead. Not to mention the Jesus reference is also in bad taste.

Show me a coach who's not bending/breaking the rules and I'll show you a coach on the way out. Show me a coach who is and I'll show you conference and national titles.

Cheating aside, rip to a man with a family and many loved ones.

Here's my point, I really don't care about the baggage. The man just passed away and from what I've seen of him over the years was a gentle and caring man. I don't really know about his dealings with the Gilbert phantom and couldn't care less. I believe it's just distasteful to speak ill of the recently dead. Not to mention the Jesus reference is also in bad taste.

Here's a link..

Turning a blind eye a SoCal tradition from Wooden to Carroll - CBSSports.com

The hagiography over a guy who would never have won anything if it weren't for a mobster's money is sickeningly cloying. I don't care about his cheating; I don't care about John Wooden either way. But all this "greatest coach of all time" crap is ridiculous. When Bobby Knight (who was ten times the coach) dies, ESPN will run an endless series of segments "debating his legacy." But Wooden -- arguably the greatest cheater of all time -- expires and it's like Santa Claus died. Maybe the lesson is that if you live long enough to be old and frail but still publicly visible and "cute," people will ignore anything.

What other SEC message board will you find someone use the words 'hagiography' and 'cloying' in a single post ??....Answer = none

Awesome...(Not sarcastic).....:clapping:

Reactions: 1 person
What other SEC message board will you find someone use the words 'hagiography' and 'cloying' in a single post ??....Answer = none

Awesome...(Not sarcastic).....:clapping:

I've never been on any others, but I would agree that VN sure has some characters. Gotta love it. I guess we all have out place. (Yes, even you superdawg and bosgap)

I've never been on any others, but I would agree that VN sure has some characters. Gotta love it. I guess we all have out place. (Yes, even you superdawg and bosgap)

Don't know those posters but after seeing 'lose' spelled 'loose' about 100 x's a day it's a nice change of pace....I'm sure you meant our instead of out ??....:)

Show me a coach who's not bending/breaking the rules and I'll show you a coach on the way out. Show me a coach who is and I'll show you conference and national titles.

Cheating aside, rip to a man with a family and many loved ones.
There's a difference, in my opinion. Pete Carroll bending the rules is one thing. Lane Kiffin bending the rules fits in somewhere along there. I'm not sure what the extent of Bear Bryant's or Adolph Rupp's recruiting violations, so I'm not sure how to tie that in. (I guess Rupp may be attributed to many other things as well)

However, bending the rules isn't, at least to me, the same as having a mobster buy the elite prospects for you. Just bending the rules doesn't make you go from a coach averaging almost 10 losses for 15 years to someone who absolutely takes over and dominates.

Hey, I used hagiography here months ago!!

Seriously, I was critical of Wooden and the whole Sam Gilbert affair. However, I think it is fair to point out that Wooden already had national titles and an undefeated season before Gilbert was involved with the program. So, it's not as if Wooden wasn't a very good coach anyway, but I would've liked to have seen him without the benefactor in Gilbert.

Hey, I used hagiography here months ago!!

Seriously, I was critical of Wooden and the whole Sam Gilbert affair. However, I think it is fair to point out that Wooden already had national titles and an undefeated season before Gilbert was involved with the program. So, it's not as if Wooden wasn't a very good coach anyway, but I would've liked to have seen him without the benefactor in Gilbert.
Do we know that? I'd bet Gilbert was involved before his presence became known.

VN Store

Back