John Fulkerson officially back for a 6th season

That's big time. Although the SEC is loaded this year, Tennessee should finish at the top.

That's going to be one scary team to play against!

BTW, are we going to go after a PG or another SG or are we just closing out with Tamba?

Not to berate the point, but for an interesting comparison, contrast his 2020-21 numbers to those of Mac McClung.

Tyreke Key:
5.8 made FGs/gm on 12.3 attempts (47%)
1.3 made 3-pt FGs/gm on 4.3 attempts (32%)
4.3 made FTs/gm on 5.1 attempts (84%)
2.0:1.8 Asst:TO ratio
1.1 stls/gm

Mac McClung:
5.1 made FGs/gm on 12.2 attempts (42%)
1.6 made 3-pt FGs/gm on 4.7 attempts (34%)
3.7 made FTs/gm on 4.7 attempts (79%)
2.1:1.9 Asst:TO ratio
0.8 stls/gm

Not a heavily noticeable difference in their respective offensive efficiency and McClung (who I am also not in favor of) did it against much better competition. Advanced metrics paint a similar picture, as well...

Offensive win shares...Key: 2.5, McClung: 2.3
Defensive win shares...Key: 1.2, McClung: 1.4
Total win shares...Key: 3.7, McClung 3.7

Anyone not in favor of adding Mac would seemingly have a difficult case to make for adding Key. For our current team, if I had to make a choice, choosing between the two would be tough, but in a vacuum, I think I'd take McClung.
Win shares is such a confusing stat. Lol up there with QB rating and QBR to me.

Reactions: Border Vol
That's big time. Although the SEC is loaded this year, Tennessee should finish at the top.

That's going to be one scary team to play against!

BTW, are we going to go after a PG or another SG or are we just closing out with Tamba?
Chandler is running point. It would be nice to add a pure PG for depth but he will not be coming off the floor much unless he is in foul trouble.

As early as last week, I was a bit worried about next seaon's roster. Not anymore. I don't know if we'll win the SEC or not, but the pieces are there for us to certainly be in the mix and for us to get to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament.

Reactions: walkenvol
I knew Fulk was coming back the minute they passed that exemption or rule or whatever, well unless he played well enough to get drafted. Which honestly, I thought he might have a chance if he really improved his handles and showed that he could hit the 3, but that was best case scenario and I didn't expect it. Great news, Fulk is a folk Vols BB Legend, imo. He adds a Final 4 and he becomes a Vols Legend, PERIOD

Talking about Fulky got my Twitter account suspended. I posted "cut him with a knife and he will bleed orange." Some snowflake reported it and Twitter suspended my account LOL!
😂😂 I wonder if you’d have been suspended for saying “split his eye with an elbow and he bleeds orange”

Talking about Fulky got my Twitter account suspended. I posted "cut him with a knife and he will bleed orange." Some snowflake reported it and Twitter suspended my account LOL!

Did they send you an e-mail about the reason? My guess is sometimes it's automatic detection...probably got you for encouraging suicide or something. I got my account suspended last month for telling someone "kys". And it was almost instantaneous. lol I wasn't even serious, just messing around.

Love this guy so much!

VOL LEGEND!
Yeah would have hated to see him finish his UT career the way this year ended for him. Expect he will have much less pressure on him next year, given the additional frontcourt help and will be able to play a role which is more to his liking. We had to play small ball out of necessity this year...worked some times but not others. We will be able to both big and small lineups next year. BHH will and can play some SF at times next year. Much like JJJ can continue to see some time at the 4. Will be interesting.

Still would like another transfer post and preferably a backup PG. One Is possible...doubt we find another point.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
When Fulky played solid offensive basketball we rolled. When Fulky struggled offensively the team got rolled. It is the Fulky that binds us.

My belief is that he wants to go out on his terms. For whatever reason, he struggled most of the year to resemble anything like the previous year. Reading through many post and seeing what people have to say about him, I think he will come back determined to prove he is 1st team (SEC) material. He will work his butt off in the weight room and gym, while giving this team much needed leadership next year. We will see a much stronger JF next year and this team will feed off him. (my hope anyways)
Go Vols!!

Reactions: ArdentVol

Confirming what we all already knew from rumors, but still interesting info. I do wonder just how much COVID affected his play. Was it a little? Was it a lot? Guess this season will tell us just how much depending on which Fulky shows up to play.

He said it killed his energy and stamina/conditioning and he struggled to get it back, for a guy who’s probably biggest attribute is the energy he plays with I would say it was a huge impact on his game.

VN Store

Back