John Fulkerson officially back for a 6th season

Agree on both points. My concern would be is he good enough to make enough of a contribution in his one year that we can't coax out of Powell, Vescovi, or Bailey? If we are talking about having an available scholarship for the future, I think I'd rather hold the open spot for a midyear guy like Tshiebwe or Mills as opposed to using it on a 1-yr guy who might provide you 10-12 mpg, and minimal impact to the box score.
That’s fair

Reactions: cncchris33
That’s fair
Not to berate the point, but for an interesting comparison, contrast his 2020-21 numbers to those of Mac McClung.

Tyreke Key:
5.8 made FGs/gm on 12.3 attempts (47%)
1.3 made 3-pt FGs/gm on 4.3 attempts (32%)
4.3 made FTs/gm on 5.1 attempts (84%)
2.0:1.8 Asst:TO ratio
1.1 stls/gm

Mac McClung:
5.1 made FGs/gm on 12.2 attempts (42%)
1.6 made 3-pt FGs/gm on 4.7 attempts (34%)
3.7 made FTs/gm on 4.7 attempts (79%)
2.1:1.9 Asst:TO ratio
0.8 stls/gm

Not a heavily noticeable difference in their respective offensive efficiency and McClung (who I am also not in favor of) did it against much better competition. Advanced metrics paint a similar picture, as well...

Offensive win shares...Key: 2.5, McClung: 2.3
Defensive win shares...Key: 1.2, McClung: 1.4
Total win shares...Key: 3.7, McClung 3.7

Anyone not in favor of adding Mac would seemingly have a difficult case to make for adding Key. For our current team, if I had to make a choice, choosing between the two would be tough, but in a vacuum, I think I'd take McClung.

Not to berate the point, but for an interesting comparison, contrast his 2020-21 numbers to those of Mac McClung.

Tyreke Key:
5.8 made FGs/gm on 12.3 attempts (47%)
1.3 made 3-pt FGs/gm on 4.3 attempts (32%)
4.3 made FTs/gm on 5.1 attempts (84%)
2.0:1.8 Asst:TO ratio
1.1 stls/gm

Mac McClung:
5.1 made FGs/gm on 12.2 attempts (42%)
1.6 made 3-pt FGs/gm on 4.7 attempts (34%)
3.7 made FTs/gm on 4.7 attempts (79%)
2.1:1.9 Asst:TO ratio
0.8 stls/gm

Not a heavily noticeable difference in their respective offensive efficiency and McClung (who I am also not in favor of) did it against much better competition. Advanced metrics paint a similar picture, as well...

Offensive win shares...Key: 2.5, McClung: 2.3
Defensive win shares...Key: 1.2, McClung: 1.4
Total win shares...Key: 3.7, McClung 3.7

Anyone not in favor of adding Mac would seemingly have a difficult case to make for adding Key. For our current team, if I had to make a choice, choosing between the two would be tough, but in a vacuum, I think I'd take McClung.
A few things though...Key has played PG quite a bit where as McClung has more played off the ball, Key has been forced to shoot more because of lack of surrounding options, not the case with McClung. Key would have 1 year here, McClung would have multiple. Key would likely come here knowing and willingly playing whatever minutes are asked and not be an issue, I don’t see McClung doing that.

A few things though...Key has played PG quite a bit where as McClung has more played off the ball, Key has been forced to shoot more because of lack of surrounding options, not the case with McClung. Key would have 1 year here, McClung would have multiple. Key would likely come here knowing and willingly playing whatever minutes are asked and not be an issue, I don’t see McClung doing that.
To your last sentence, I agree. That is why I said "in a vacuum", meaning all things being equal. I'm not in favor of either guy coming onto this roster, but the sell to McClung would seem much tougher.

In the footage I've watched, he seems to play off the ball quite a bit, so I'm not certain how much PG he really plays. But let's say he is is a PG by trade as you say, isn't it troubling that he is a career 1.7 apg guy at PG in 32 minutes and has a career 1.7:1.6 asst:TO ratio in a mid-major? Not sure I'd expect that to improve with a step up in competition level.

I want Fulk to be the one who leads Tennessee to their first F4. Tennessee Legend🍊

Tennessee’s international recruiting and newfound penchant for 5* one-and-dones is great, but there’s something special about getting solid production for a full collegiate career out of an East Tennessee boy who loves Pal’s.

Great Young man .. who said it ..he hasnt always been perfect but he loves the Big Orange and will play his heart out !! Welcome back Fulky !!!! Although you never left !!

VN Store

Back