Joe Milton - Michigan QB transfer- being mentioned

When Johnny Vault was coaching at Ole Miss probably 50% of the players he brought in each year had been their schools quarterback. His theory - if they can play QB effectively they can be made into other positions quite easily. He had a lot of success doing it.
Probably bc most high school Qb's are the best athletes on their teams. Think about it, there are only a handful of statue like pocket passers coming out every year. There are tons of guys every recruiting cycle who played Qb in high school but had to switch to get that scholly.

He's a good size QB listed at 6'5 243, and a 4 star. He would be a good addition to the QB's we have. You have to keep the cupboard stocked especially at QB. Who knows, one or more of the guys we have is subject to transfer, opt out, health issues, injury or whatever. You never know for certain. Look at how our RB room went from stocked to what 2 scholarship guys in one year

The Vols Oline has helped to write ugly epitaph’s for Tennessee QB’s
RIP

Reactions: txbo
Doubtful he'd want to come to a QB room that will be as competitive as ours will be. He doesn't have better stats than Hooker has, nor the upside of Salter or Bailey. He might be better than Maurer but I'm not sure about that honestly.
I always chuckle at comments like this. We have ZERO proven quarterbacks on our team. This job is as wide open as wide open gets.

When Johnny Vault was coaching at Ole Miss probably 50% of the players he brought in each year had been their schools quarterback. His theory - if they can play QB effectively they can be made into other positions quite easily. He had a lot of success doing it.
Vault and Bear Bryant were fishing buddies. They were on the lake one day and Bear snagged a big one. He stood up to reel him in and promptly went overboard. As Vault was pulling him into the boat he told Bear to never tell the Ole Miss people that he had saved him from drowning. Bear responded that he wouldn't if Vault would never tell the bammers that he couldn't walk on water....my Dad loved to tell that story

I always chuckle at comments like this. We have ZERO proven quarterbacks on our team. This job is as wide open as wide open gets.
That's true but we do have a QB room that already has 4 of the top QB's in their class in it. I know that means nothing as far as once they get to college, but if he comes in as number 5 that is a lot of talent to jump.
Probably easier to go to UCF or USF than here.

Reactions: Border Vol
If we add him, we'd still have zero proven QBs on our roster.
Who gives a damn? I don't even know who this kid is. The idea that ANY QB in the nation should fear competing against the other QB's on our roster is laughable. We have NO proven QB whatsoever. If I were a transferring QB, UT would be at the absolute top of my list if my top criterion I was looking for was a school where I could possibly earn a starting position.

They need linebackers, offensive lineman,defensive lineman and secondary help up there not any more damn qb's i mean dang you gotta worry about the defensive and offensive lines right now if you ask me but hopefully the ones up there are hungry! I sure as hell hope that Couch n Too'too stays to because they are some hellacious talents !

Reactions: Hbg
Who gives a damn? I don't even know who this kid is. The idea that ANY QB in the nation should fear competing against the other QB's on our roster is laughable. We have NO proven QB whatsoever. If I were a transferring QB, UT would be at the absolute top of my list if my top criterion I was looking for was a school where I could possibly earn a starting position.
Joe Milton is from Orlando which would make UCF very possible.

Just look at his stats, he's most likely the worst QB out of the whole bunch. Why waste a scholarship on him?

You only take this guy if you convince him to move to TE. Sell him on the track record of developing TE's.

Last edited:
Reactions: bpalmer28
Unless he's some Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Matt Jones caliber I rather not waste a scholarship.
I rather roll with the QB's we got since we appear to at least have a QB friendly staff now that should have our guys ready and go after other needs on the team

He looked like a Guarantano clone before being benched this past season. I would think that if they bring him in, then they expect someone to leave (Bailey). But who knows. Maybe he needs a fresh start.
Not worth losing Bailey if that’s the scenario

VN Store

Back