Joe Milton - Every Snap Minn, Mich St and Indiana

I'm moving towards the hype wagon, but watching those clips, he is staring down his receiver basically every play. That is not going to cut it in the SEC, and definitely wont cut it with the Volnation coaches

You must have been watching JG's junior high films if you saw him make better runs. IMHO.
There is nothing in those videos that show Milton as a runner. If he were a white dude, nobody on here watching that video would say he is a runner of great quality. I think a lot of you guys think he’s black so he has to be able to run. I see so many that get labeled based on color. Can’t throw because black but can run. It’s stupid. What part of that video made you think he runs any better than jg did

There is nothing in those videos that show Milton as a runner. If he were a white dude, nobody on here watching that video would say he is a runner of great quality. I think a lot of you guys think he’s black so he has to be able to run. I see so many that get labeled based on color. Can’t throw because black but can run. It’s stupid. What part of that video made you think he runs any better than jg did
He’s no Dobbs but runs 1000 times better than JG. Did you watch all the videos? Particularly the Minn game

After reading all this I wish we'd played Michigan last year. Per these posts they had terrible Receivers, the Running game was terrible and hamstrung Milton and their offense play-calling coaching and HC was horrible. That would have been an automatic win ala Georgia State.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I really hope Heupel has turned him into a killer but the more I watch the Michigan clips the less impressed I become.
Interesting because I became more impressed after all the bad things I heard about him at Michigan. He threw well and scrambled well. His OL sucked and his receivers dropped a lot of balls and couldn’t get separation. And he was really good before he tore the ligament in his throwing hand

You cannot run like that in the SEC and last. You will NOT last. The linebackers are too good at squaring up on you in space. If you run, you have to make sure you don't get hit, like Vince Young, Dobbs, Manziel... etc.. You have to be more illusive. You cannot run people over in the SEC. They will hurt you.
Idk bro. Cam and Tebow did it. And I’m not asking him to take on a linebacker that weighs about the same as him. I’m talking about DB’s. Too many times he was brought down by arm tackles by dudes that probably weigh about 40 pounds less than him. It’s not that big of a deal, but what’s the point of being damn near a defensive lineman playing quarterback, if you’re not going to run through defensive back arm tackles. Also dude wasn’t playing in the SEC last year was he? I think your whole post is irrelevant to my point.

Bailey should start. Milton and Hooker were failures or they wouldn’t be at Tennessee. Typical TN bad coaching decision. Another long 3 years with Humpone in charge. Let’s start looking for a coach now.
You are an idiot and a troll. Don’t bother responding because I am blocking now so no longer will need to have my IQ sucked into the vacuums of your posts. If you want to post criticism, great. Just act like your age and IQ are above 10.

Interesting because I became more impressed after all the bad things I heard about him at Michigan. He threw well and scrambled well. His OL sucked and his receivers dropped a lot of balls and couldn’t get separation. And he was really good before he tore the ligament in his throwing hand

How come the freshman who took his job had more success?

There is a way you can do it, but you have to have a slippery qb. You can't take SEC backs head on and expect to survive. This is where "tackle in space" was invented after all. Ask hooker about what happens when you try to do that.

and really? why would you when everyone around you is faster, and you can go 80 yards with a wrist flick? Why would you? You generally don't want to run the most important player in your squad head long into alabama backs. When those qb's had success it was because they HAD to (like Tebow).

Lets take a look at 2 "spread guys" half the population of volnation loves....

freeze and kiffy.

They are spread but don't run the quarterbacks into the teeth of the D for this reason. They rely on great lines and great passers and speed. They understand you have to be bigger and faster in this conference. Get bigger to have success, so you don't "have to" anymore. Let the coaches coach them up (it's thier job), and get some bodies in here to play with. I do not want to return to an undersized line. My 2 cents.

Milton never got going in michigan. He had three games, and one was indiana, who was a LEGIT threat last year (and any year that coach stays). He absolutely did win the starter position, they were transferring him into power when we grabbed him. There is a reason he played indiana.

It's a few things but mostly the long ball not even being close to on target. Heupel apparently likes to air it out, Milton consistently over-throws the receivers.

Reactions: 508mikey
It's a few things but mostly the long ball not even being close to on target. Heupel apparently likes to air it out, Milton consistently over-throws the receivers.
I don’t think that’s totally accurate, he threw some accurate long balls and at least a couple were the CB slowing down the WR on a burn

I'm a milton guy, and it's because I think he is the best passer we have rn tbh. I am not anti bailey..... I love me bailey, I just want him to be comfortable first. He has a flaw. He IS correcting it IMO. I see that. Milton can flick one. He's the best option.

I don’t think that’s totally accurate, he threw some accurate long balls and at least a couple were the CB slowing down the WR on a burn

He sailed way too many of them. If people are excited by what they see, that's fine. I don't see anything special in those three vids. He has a cannon, ok. What else? his running isn't anything to write home about. I haven't seen anything else other than a few practice clips and he looks good there. I'm just not impressed by his work at Michigan. Hopefully Heupel is developing him into an elite QB. If anyone can, it's our coach.

Reactions: mpfvol
My armchair QB perspective:

Positives/Strengths:
1. Easily checks the QB tangibles box who looks the part of an NFL-level QB
2. Has a monster arm and gets the ball to his backs and receivers quickly which should help neutralize the speed of SEC defenses while getting the ball into our playmakers hands
3. Is a big guy that should be tough to take down in the backfield
4. Looks to have the velocity and accuracy on the ever important out and dig routes which are critical on 3rd downs
5. Throws a good ball within 15 yards of the LoS
6. Doesn't seem to lack confidence in himself and has a sense of command (based on his interview)

Negatives/Weaknesses:
1. The biggest and most concerning issue is his lack of touch and inability to drop passes in over DB's, particularly with go routes. From what I've read so far, I don't think this has changed which means fly routes, especially on the perimeter, is a throw he just cannot make.
2. Impatience. Not allowing the play to develop and giving up on plays too quickly before running.
3. Doesn't step up in the pocket which is correlated with afore mentioned impatience.
4. Is more big than he is fast, which is fine, but he doesn't look to play up to that size (like Big Ben does).

Summary:
The lack of touch and inability to throw the fly route is the only major concern I have at this point as I have doubts that it will change or be corrected. Everything else I think can be developed or corrected with coaching and experience. In-game experience and developing trust with the o-line and receivers will greatly help with his patience and allowing plays to develop. If he trust his line to hold, he should begin stepping up in the pocket and completing throws downfield.

My armchair QB perspective:

Positives/Strengths:
1. Easily checks the QB tangibles box who looks the part of an NFL-level QB
2. Has a monster arm and gets the ball to his backs and receivers quickly which should help neutralize the speed of SEC defenses while getting the ball into our playmakers hands
3. Is a big guy that should be tough to take down in the backfield
4. Looks to have the velocity and accuracy on the ever important out and dig routes which are critical on 3rd downs
5. Throws a good ball within 15 yards of the LoS
6. Doesn't seem to lack confidence in himself and has a sense of command (based on his interview)

Negatives/Weaknesses:
1. The biggest and most concerning issue is his lack of touch and inability to drop passes in over DB's, particularly with go routes. From what I've read so far, I don't think this has changed which means fly routes, especially on the perimeter, is a throw he just cannot make.
2. Impatience. Not allowing the play to develop and giving up on plays too quickly before running.
3. Doesn't step up in the pocket which is correlated with afore mentioned impatience.
4. Is more big than he is fast, which is fine, but he doesn't look to play up to that size (like Big Ben does).

Summary:
The lack of touch and inability to throw the fly route is the only major concern I have at this point as I have doubts that it will change or be corrected. Everything else I think can be developed or corrected with coaching and experience. In-game experience and developing trust with the o-line and receivers will greatly help with his patience and allowing plays to develop. If he trust his line to hold, he should begin stepping up in the pocket and completing throws downfield.

Best part about this is that he has gotten better and better at exactly that from reports. His touch has impoved every practice and scrimmage. It's almost like he knows.

Reactions: GritNGrind1906
I really hope Heupel has turned him into a killer but the more I watch the Michigan clips the less impressed I become.
I don’t disagree, but I do think he’s better than JG. His throws into coverage are a bit concerning and he needs to work on his touch but his receivers also had a lot of perfectly placed drops.

Reactions: mpfvol

VN Store

Back