Jobless Claims Soar to 3.3 million; 6.6 million this week

If I'm reading this right, news cases and deaths are DOWN from yesterday in NYC. So good news.

Edit: Sorry, intended for the coronavirus thread

Reactions: Mick
Politicizing a pandemic claiming thousands of lives around the globe, in such an overt way, may be one of the most classless things I've seen on VN. That's quite an accomplishment. Kudos to EL for lowering the bar once again.

Politicizing a pandemic claiming thousands of lives around the globe, in such an overt way, may be one of the most classless things I've seen on VN. That's quite an accomplishment. Kudos to EL for lowering the bar once again.
There's not a bar long enough to extend down to you.

At this point, we are in a recession. The longer this goes on, the higher the probability that this recession turns into a depression.

This cannot happen. Forget about the virus, imagine the psychological impacts. Suicide rates and civil unrest will skyrocket.

Reactions: allvol123 and hog88
At this point, we are in a recession. The longer this goes on, the higher the probability that this recession turns into a depression.

This cannot happen. Forget about the virus, imagine the psychological impacts. Suicide rates and civil unrest will skyrocket.

why do you want Cuomo's mother to die you heartless bastage?

Reactions: allvol123
why do you want Cuomo's mother to die you heartless bastage?
I know you're teasing, but the easy solution would be to quarantine anyone 60+ while letting the younger, healthier people go on about their lives. Keeps the economy and grandma safe.

This can happen. This is happening. And, our Debt to GDP ratio will soon reach 118%...only post war amounts have been higher.

This can happen. This is happening. And, our Dept to GDP ratio will soon reach 118%...only post war amounts have been higher.

We haven’t seen nothing yet. They will run out of ink as fast as they will be printing money.

If we don’t come to our senses within the next 30 days we in uncharted waters.

Reactions: McDad
We haven’t seen nothing yet. They will run out of ink as fast as they will be printing money.

If we don’t come to our senses within the next 30 days we in uncharted waters.
I agree. I try to be as level headed as possible. But I really feel like we are teetering on complete financial collapse. Like Austria, Weimermar, and Venezuela experienced.

Reactions: hog88
This can happen. This is happening. And, our Debt to GDP ratio will soon reach 118%...only post war amounts have been higher.
So Depressing. Makes me feel everything is going to implode on itself.

The US is like the Titanic while COVID-19 is the iceberg.

So Depressing. Makes me feel everything is going to implode on itself.

The US is like the Titanic while COVID-19 is the iceberg.
I hear you. But covid19 didn't do this to use. We did this to us. We demanded ever increasing largess from weak-willed politicians. We laid every possible straw we could find across our camel's back. We mutually agreed through partisanship our sacred cows could bloat when our guy was in power and their cows could too when their guy was in. Our Titanic was so grotesquely over laden we were barely bouyant. It wasn't an iceberg which sank us; it was a small ripple in the calmest of water.

I hear you. But covid19 didn't do this to use. We did this to us. We demanded ever increasing largess from weak-willed politicians. We laid every possible straw we could find across our camel's back. We mutually agreed through partisanship our sacred cows could bloat when our guy was in power and their cows could too when their guy was in. Our Titanic was so grotesquely over laden we were barely bouyant. It wasn't an iceberg which sank us; it was a small ripple in the calmest of water.
All very good points.

I'm so ready for 2020 to be over with.

What I don't understand is why the 2 have to be mutually exclusive. I can care about the elderly while simultaneously not wanting to tank the economy.

of course - any thinking person should be able to see that but we have people thinking economy = stock market. severe recessions are deadly but some say bring on the severe recession if it saves one life from the rona ignoring all the lives lost to economic problems.

it's a trade off but if you bring it up you want to kill Cuomo's mother as he told us at one of his press confs.

Reactions: hog88 and Matt2496
Would have kept the pandemic team in place. Would have prepped better. And sure as hell wouldn't have called it a hoax and downplayed it the way Trump did.

The "Trump fired the Pandemic Team" is a BS story - it has been debunked. Prepped better is completely non-specific. Trump's comments did nothing to limit the response and I'd argue Team Trump was more quick to push the public/private response than Clinton or Obama would have been. Our testing delays were not Trump problems, they were "government agencies know best" problems. His team has been more proactive at busting regulatory roadblocks than most administrations would be.

Even with the negative media the general public is positive about the administration's handling of the situation.

of course - any thinking person should be able to see that but we have people thinking economy = stock market. severe recessions are deadly but some say bring on the severe recession if it saves one life from the rona ignoring all the lives lost to economic problems.

it's a trade off but if you bring it up you want to kill Cuomo's mother as he told us at one of his press confs.
So much appealing to emotions from our leaders rather than logic and facts. It's pretty disturbing.

So much appealing to emotions from our leaders rather than logic and facts. It's pretty disturbing.

to be clear - I'm not opposed to the actions (Fed and local) so far. that said, I'm encouraged to see leadership considering the tradeoffs and being willing to adapt strategy.

Reactions: Behr

VN Store

Back