JJ Peterson ?

The thing that most of you are forgetting - Q: what is the primary contributor of the "busts" of recent past? A: Butch Jones was responsible for coaching them up. Had Pruitt and Chaney been running player development for Kmac, Tuttle, etc - I can almost guarantee you that they would have developed into MUCH better players.

A lot of truth in this. Peterman may never live up to the hype he had coming in, but if he stays in the system for all 4 years, that means he likely becomes a solid backup. With Jones, it would have meant you only ever saw him on special teams.

Disagree on Tuttle, though. I think Tuttle was done in by his injury(ies). Knee injuries in back to back seasons just took away any burst he had, as well as hampered his ability to get a lot of push.

Reactions: SmokinBob
A lot of truth in this. Peterman may never live up to the hype he had coming in, but if he stays in the system for all 4 years, that means he likely becomes a solid backup. With Jones, it would have meant you only ever saw him on special teams.

Disagree on Tuttle, though. I think Tuttle was done in by his injury(ies). Knee injuries in back to back seasons just took away any burst he had, as well as hampered his ability to get a lot of push.

While you are right about Tuttle's injuries, especially that cheap block - I tend to think that a better program like CJP is running would have meant fewer injuries as well. I would have thought Rock G would have been top notch but then again, almost everyone underperformned under Butch (see Bob Shoop)

Was Peterson overrated, let's hope not, because he was considered the cream of the recruiting class, but only time will tell how he progresses.
The Vols really need some of these highly rated kids to actually step up and become head hunters and play with an edge, it's been so very long since we've expierenced a dominant football player at UT....
Go Vols

Barnett?

Reactions: LittleVol
The thing that most of you are forgetting - Q: what is the primary contributor of the "busts" of recent past? A: Butch Jones was responsible for coaching them up. Had Pruitt and Chaney been running player development for Kmac, Tuttle, etc - I can almost guarantee you that they would have developed into MUCH better players.

I think JJ is a Pruitt recruit, Jones was long gone by then. Yet amazingly remains a part of the Vols football program cause so many folks just won't let him go and stay gone. The guy's a pachyderm now.

They say the hardest part about saying good-bye is letting go. Given the frequent re-Butching here, I guess it's true.

1555008543642.png

Wouldn’t he have to actually show up at practice. Been absent for several days.

The simple absence from practices tells me there is more going on than just an injury. Either someone is telling him to get his head screwed on straight, or he is thinking about a transfer, or he is in a major doghouse and been told to stay away from practice. Or maybe grades???

No insider status here, just my view on the absence from practices.

Vols 'really pleased' with JJ Peterson's spring progress

Article from about 3 hours ago.

This offseason afforded Peterson the chance to expedite his catching-up process with winter workouts providing an opportunity for him to improve his conditioning, and spring practice was the platform for him to become comfortable in Tennessee's defense and play football.

When Peterson came in last September, the Vols were in season mode, meaning practices were about implementing game plans, readying for opponents and playing against scout teams on both sides of the ball, so it wasn't really a chance to Peterson to make up ground quickly, though he managed to get into four games on special teams and preserve a year of eligibility thanks to college football's new redshirt rules.

Though Peterson has been banged up and dealing with some shoulder problems that have forced him to miss some practice time the past couple of weeks, Kevin Sherrer and the Vols are mostly pleased with the progress he's been able to make this spring.

“He’s done really well,” Tennessee's inside linebackers coach said after Thursday’s practice.

“JJ kind of got here a little late last year, so he was kind of behind a little bit. JJ learns well, too. He’s had a really good spring. He came out and ran around well, and the good thing with him is the offseason allowed him to get in shape. He wasn’t quite in the shape that the other guys were because he missed the summer and about the first month of fall camp."

“He was able to run around and do a lot of good things. We’re really pleased with where he is. He’s had a good spring so far.”

It's unclear if Peterson will participate in Saturday's spring game.

Vols 'really pleased' with JJ Peterson's spring progress

Article from about 3 hours ago.

This offseason afforded Peterson the chance to expedite his catching-up process with winter workouts providing an opportunity for him to improve his conditioning, and spring practice was the platform for him to become comfortable in Tennessee's defense and play football.

When Peterson came in last September, the Vols were in season mode, meaning practices were about implementing game plans, readying for opponents and playing against scout teams on both sides of the ball, so it wasn't really a chance to Peterson to make up ground quickly, though he managed to get into four games on special teams and preserve a year of eligibility thanks to college football's new redshirt rules.

Though Peterson has been banged up and dealing with some shoulder problems that have forced him to miss some practice time the past couple of weeks, Kevin Sherrer and the Vols are mostly pleased with the progress he's been able to make this spring.

“He’s done really well,” Tennessee's inside linebackers coach said after Thursday’s practice.

“JJ kind of got here a little late last year, so he was kind of behind a little bit. JJ learns well, too. He’s had a really good spring. He came out and ran around well, and the good thing with him is the offseason allowed him to get in shape. He wasn’t quite in the shape that the other guys were because he missed the summer and about the first month of fall camp."

“He was able to run around and do a lot of good things. We’re really pleased with where he is. He’s had a good spring so far.”

It's unclear if Peterson will participate in Saturday's spring game.

If you had waited a couple more days before you posted the above most on here would have him already transferred to Maryville College

If you had waited a couple more days before you posted the above most on here would have him already transferred to Maryville College
How many injured players are completely absent from the practice field as opposed to observering or doing conditioning work. You believe anything the machine tells you.

How many injured players are completely absent from the practice field as opposed to observering or doing conditioning work. You believe anything the machine tells you.

No I don't believe everything but news coming from Coach Sherrer I tend to believe more than some on here!

Reactions: Behr
JJP has been nominated to the Kenny O’Neal Bust City Watch List. We will continue to monitor his progress.

I think JJ is a Pruitt recruit, Jones was long gone by then. Yet amazingly remains a part of the Vols football program cause so many folks just won't let him go and stay gone. The guy's a pachyderm now.

They say the hardest part about saying good-bye is letting go. Given the frequent re-Butching here, I guess it's true.

View attachment 201508

Wow..That picture is just.....touching...

saw this floating around the RF the other day....my understanding he's gone home to handle some personal stuff. status is uncertain....i do not know if that's verifiable or not.....

Yep, when I see that combined with his desire to play football being in question, and two kids back home, I would hazard a guess that he’s not coming back. He didn’t play in the spring game right?

Yep, when I see that combined with his desire to play football being in question, and two kids back home, I would hazard a guess that he’s not coming back. He didn’t play in the spring game right?
don't think he was even there iirc.

i've been one to say he's got time, he's still young etc....but it may just not be meant to be. sad. hope he figures it out and can come back. we could use him...selfishly, i hope that is.

Well, he was a consensus 4* player and the nations #1 ranked OLB prospect. Folks got it in their heads that he was a sure fire "beast" much like Richmond, Kongbo and Warrior. A red flag for me was the issue with the grades combined with showing up in such bad shape. Anything we get from him is gravy and frankly, it will also be unexpected.
And Smith

I hope the kid is okay...he’s a heckuva player but he wouldn’t be the first to be derailed by personal issues..

From a football standpoint it stinks but I think our depth chart will be fine...

OLB: Taylor-Allen
ILB: Ignont-Reid
ILB: Bituli-Crouch
OLB: Bennett-Johnson

And we have Toot Toot and Harrison coming in this summer

VN Store

Back