Jim Caldwell

“Not as bad as I thought” is our new standard.
No, I don’t want him here and don’t consider him a good coach. He just fared a little bit better in the NFL than I thought previously. Did you see my first post in this thread ? There you go moving goal posts again, I guess just for provocation reasons. .3B099A80-E43E-4C52-A319-B7BCAED339EC.gif

1) He wasn't good in Detroit? He made the playoffs twice (first Detroit coach since Bobby Ross to make the playoffs twice) and only had 1 losing season in his 4 seasons. By Detroit standards he was outstanding, evidenced by the absolute garbage job his successor Matt "Never seen a sandwich I wouldn't eat" Patricia.

2) You say no to Caldwell but would consider Marvin Lewis? The same Lewis who was coach in Cincy for 16 years and had a grand total of ZERO playoff wins? 0-7, and never made it past the WC round.

To be clear I say no to both, but acting like Lewis is some major level above Caldwell is a bit laughable.

dMDAEZ1MsR32lNzkjRwBGo6e3NpjShooZgFfllxSdOkPOCTjjKhmF_UunpT_k9j3p8kIrdVJvoPhF_T-xiZJfnkpiZZ7pURviQHDFurULAvD4fo=s0-d

Last edited:
Reactions: preacherwebb
Read an article somewhere years back where Jim Caldwell's only task during practice was charting how many times Peyton threw passes during practice. I've attributed his success as a coach to Peyton's greatness ever since.

Reactions: give_him 6
1) He wasn't good in Detroit? He made the playoffs twice (first Detroit coach since Bobby Ross to make the playoffs twice) and only had 1 losing season in his 4 seasons. By Detroit standards he was outstanding, evidenced by the absolute garbage job his successor Matt "Never seen a sandwich I wouldn't eat" Patricia.

2) You say no to Caldwell but would consider Marvin Lewis? The same Lewis who was coach in Cincy for 16 years and had a grand total of ZERO playoff wins? 0-7, and never made it past the WC round.

To be clear I say no to both, but acting like Lewis is some major level above Caldwell is a bit laughable.
In fairness to Lewis, making the playoffs seven times in Cincinnati was pretty remarkable.

Reactions: SmokeyDog1973
No Thanks. Peyton carried him in Indy. He wasn't good at WF nor in Detroit. Good examples with Pete and Herm. I would consider Marvin Lewis. I respect that man so much.

Disagree. He was arguably the most successful HC for the Lions in the last 40 years. Shouldn’t have been replaced by yet another Belichick failson.

Reactions: ENGRVOL
Disagree. He was arguably the most successful HC for the Lions in the last 40 years. Shouldn’t have been replaced by yet another Bilicek failson.
He didn't win the Division in Detroit. Lions fans should put a statue of him outside Ford Field for all of those second-place finishes in the NFC North and being the winningest coach in 40 years. If there was one word to best describe Jim Caldwell it would be "ehhh". If Jim Caldwell was a candidate here, this would be my reaction.

tenor.gif

In fairness to Lewis, making the playoffs seven times in Cincinnati was pretty remarkable.

I mean I sort of agree; but in that respect so was Caldwell getting the Lions to the playoffs in 2 of his 4 seasons and only having one losing season.

He didn't win the Division in Detroit. Lions fans should put a statue of him outside Ford Field for all of those second-place finishes in the NFC North and being the winningest coach in 40 years. If there was one word to best describe Jim Caldwell it would be "ehhh". If Jim Caldwell was a candidate here, this would be my reaction.

tenor.gif

Considering the Lions' history.....yeah they might need to put a statue.

What are you guys thoughts on him as a coaching candidate at UT? He was quite successful in the NFL coached Peyton with the Colts and won a Super Bowl. I’m not sure if he has ever coached in college before though but Pete Carroll did very well at USC and Herman Edwards is doing pretty good at Arizona St.

I think we should go after the coach Illinois just fired since were discussing stupid options.

No, I don’t want him here and don’t consider him a good coach. He just fared a little bit better in the NFL than I thought previously. Did you see my first post in this thread ? There you go moving goal posts again, I guess just for provocation reasons. .View attachment 335158
Moving goal posts having no inkling that would provoke you. 😏

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
He made Joe Flacco look like an NFL MVP. He took over offensive coordinator duty right before the ravens 2012 Super Bowl run....Good coach in my book.
Didn’t know the OP was throwing him up for OC.

No Thanks. Peyton carried him in Indy. He wasn't good at WF nor in Detroit. Good examples with Pete and Herm. I would consider Marvin Lewis. I respect that man so much.
He was9-7 2 years in a row at Detroit.
Blame the Ford family for him not doing
better. Had no running game at all. If it
wasn't for Stafford and Johnson he
would have had a worse record.

What are you guys thoughts on him as a coaching candidate at UT? He was quite successful in the NFL coached Peyton with the Colts and won a Super Bowl. I’m not sure if he has ever coached in college before though but Pete Carroll did very well at USC and Herman Edwards is doing pretty good at Arizona St.
Pete Carroll is one of the very best coaches in all of football. As to Marvin Lewis: he would be a home run hire

Peyton cost Caldwell a Super Bowl as head coach by throwing a choked up, pick six. Caldwell would be as good a hire as we could make

Reactions: Steve_Smith89
He was9-7 2 years in a row at Detroit.
Blame the Ford family for him not doing
better. Had no running game at all. If it
wasn't for Stafford and Johnson he
would have had a worse record.
He sounds like a home run hire at Head Coach. Where is he the head coach at now? Ok, not a head coach. Is he an OC somewhere? Nope. He is a quarterback coach.

Peyton cost Caldwell a Super Bowl as head coach by throwing a choked up, pick six. Caldwell would be as good a hire as we could make
Caldwell cost Peyton his 2nd SB ring because of a soft prevent defense against Drew Brees with an almost zero blitz package. Look at Peytons stats that game. They were pretty darn good. The interception was a result of the Saints picking up that when Wayne dropped his left shoulder he was making an “in” move. The route was jumped by the DB (Porter) because of film study as explained by Porter immediately after the game. Take your “Peyton choked” bullsh**t someplace else.

Last edited:
Caldwell cost Peyton his 2nd SB ring because of a soft prevent defense against Drew Brees with an almost zero blitz package. Look at Peytons stats that game. They were pretty darn good. The interception was a result of the Saints picking up that when Wayne dropped his left shoulder he was making an “in” move. The route was jumped by the DB (Porter) because of film study as explained by Porter immediately after the game. Take your “Peyton choked” bullsh**t someplace else.
I recognize Peyton is one of the all time greats. Unlike you though, I'm an informed and objective adult who knows Peyton had some faults. One being he could choke sometimes in big moments. The record clearly shows it. Both his Super Bowl wins were the result of his defense coming through for him. That being said, I would still take him over just about any other QB who has played the game. BTW, I will post my opinions here anytime I like
Grow up

VN Store

Back