JH can't evaluate QB talent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be kind since this is your first post. I can't speak to what Heupel saw from Milton in practice. He's a big guy with a rocket arm well suited to make the perimeter throws in Heupel's offense. However, Milton lacks the ability to make the deep throws and has turned out to be a little disappointing in his ability to run. I will choose to trust Heupel's ability to manage the QB depth chart. Hooker has clearly established himself as QB1 and he's improving every game due to Heupel's coaching. GBO!
So 143 rushing yards 2 tds a long of 54 years in a game and a half are disappointing rushing stats for a qb? I get he missed the deep ball, but Milton was pretty good at everything else he did in the offense.
That being said Hooker looks to have a better feel for keeping the offense moving, but don’t be surprised if Milton gets another chance and looks good. If Heupel can help his deep ball accuracy, all the sudden Milton is a great quarterback.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
He was so in love with Milton and now he has finally admitted HH (who we was lucky to inherit) is better.
Down the road, will future QB recruits prove to be fools gold for him as well?
I am hoping he learns to rewire how he evaluated QB's and really go after the best talent for his system.
Or is it perhaps that JM just didn't have enough time to develop in the system?
Either way, it is concerning that JH chose him to start the season when he clearly wasn't as ready as Hendon.

GO VOLS!
The person who practices best plays. Milton won the job. Multiple people have been quoted saying he looked good in practice. He has the most physical upside. BUT he didn't play well and once hurt lost out to the hot hand. Welcome to sports.

Allegedly...
That's what the coaches concluded... that's what media guys like Ainge and Swain concluded having been given the opportunity to watch full practices and scrimmages.

And ask yourself if it would make any sense to start him otherwise? The most sure fire way for a coach to lose a team is to play or continue to play a guy who doesn't deserve it. It violates trust.

He was so in love with Milton and now he has finally admitted HH (who we was lucky to inherit) is better.
Down the road, will future QB recruits prove to be fools gold for him as well?
I am hoping he learns to rewire how he evaluated QB's and really go after the best talent for his system.
Or is it perhaps that JM just didn't have enough time to develop in the system?
Either way, it is concerning that JH chose him to start the season when he clearly wasn't as ready as Hendon.

GO VOLS!

Hey, first game I too was in love with Milton's arm. The kid is packing a loaded arsenal but unfortunately has a bad site on that cannon.

Literally everyone who had access to fall practice agreed that Milton looked the best out of anyone, and it wasn't particularly close.
Yes but Austin Price, Swain, Ben M and literally every other media outlet was also claiming him the best qb before he ever took the practice field as well. Their evaluations didn’t age well did they?

You would think after the Pruitt experiment it would be plain to see that personal preference plays a HUGE part in reporting.

Calloway gave us all a completely different opinion if you just read between the lines. Reporter- “Who’s ball is the hardest to catch?”
Calloway- “Milton! No doubt!” (Without hesitation)
Tells me he threw the most “uncatchable” ball in practice too.

Yes but Austin Price, Swain, Ben M and literally every other media outlet was also claiming him the best qb before he ever took the practice field as well. Their evaluations didn’t age well did they?

You would think after the Pruitt experiment it would be plain to see that personal preference plays a HUGE part in reporting.

Calloway gave us all a completely different opinion if you just read between the lines. Reporter- “Who’s ball is the hardest to catch?”
Artistic license in your part. 😏

Not all of them throw different, to be honest, they all throw the same, except for Joe,” Calloway told reporters. “He’s different. But at the end of the day, they all throw the same, they all have the same goal, and it doesn’t really matter who throws to me. I just need it to be there.”

How does he describe Milton’s throws?

“Like a bullet,” Calloway said.

Where in all that do you read “hardest to catch”?

Jesus, why is it so hard for some Negavols to give credit where credit is due? JH has this offense avg. almost 41 pts a game that is more than double the avg the offense was putting up under the last staff.

Reactions: 24/7vol
Artistic license in your part. 😏

Read between the lines. He’s telling you Joes passes are harder to catch without saying “Joes passes are harder to catch”. Too busy trying to show off what he’s known for (arm strength) and somehow that was enough to “wow” the media into thinking he was the best qb. Only he’s not a qb.

Haha. Ever heard of John Elway or Brett Favre? Throwing hard is not a negative thing.

Jesus, why is it so hard for some Negavols to give credit where credit is due? JH has this offense avg. almost 41 pts a game that is more than double the avg the offense was putting up under the last staff.
I love Heupel. I think he made a mistake with Milton but that doesn’t make him any less of a coach. I’m not exactly “sold” on Hooker yet after beating an extremely bad defense but I think he’s light years better than Milton and it shows on the field.

Haha. Ever heard of John Elway or Brett Favre? Throwing hard is not a negative thing.
John Elway and Brett Favre hit their marks. They also knew when to use touch. They both had control of their arms. Milton does not.

John Elway and Brett Favre hit their marks. They also knew when to use touch. They both had control of their arms. Milton does not.

Apparently he did in practice because literally everyone had the same opinion.

Reactions: Birdie
Apparently he did in practice because literally everyone had the same opinion.
Consider the sources. Swain and Ben had already voiced their opinions on Milton before he ever took the practice field. Said he was “by far” the best qb the moment he stepped foot on campus. Swain was a WR and Ben I’m not sure ever played a down in his life at any position. Price has caught himself lying multiple times in reports and changes his narratives as the wind blows. All of a sudden we think he’s turned a new leaf?

Read between the lines. He’s telling you Joes passes are harder to catch without saying “Joes passes are harder to catch”. Too busy trying to show off what he’s known for (arm strength) and somehow that was enough to “wow” the media into thinking he was the best qb. Only he’s not a qb.
So HE didn’t say it? It’s YOU reading “between the lines”. But you stated that he SAID it? Agenda gonna agenda. 😏

Reactions: Birdie and Carp
So HE didn’t say it? It’s YOU reading “between the lines”. But you stated that he SAID it? Agenda gonna agenda. 😏
Never had an agenda and I certainly don’t now. I know a qb when I see one and Milton isn’t a qb. Those kids doing interviews have to be professional. If you take everything they say at face value, you’ll never even get close to the real truth. Kinda gotta read between the lines.

Never had an agenda and I certainly don’t now. I know a qb when I see one and Milton isn’t a qb. Those kids doing interviews have to be professional. If you take everything they say at face value, you’ll never even get close to the real truth. Kinda gotta read between the lines.
So don’t believe them but misquote them?

Reactions: Carp
So don’t believe them but misquote them?
No. Take what they say and apply to yourself. If you have any common sense about you at all you don’t go around telling the whole truth about your place of employment so why would they? Instead of going on national TV and saying “X company has a better product than we do” you might say “They have a long history of a good reputation”. Same thing. When there’s a camera in your face you DONT say what you really feel but you MAY graze the surface and leave it up to the people to determine your meaning. If I had a camera in my face right now talking about you for example, I wouldn’t say “Hes an arrogant prick that seems to try and intimidate other posters”. I would say “ That man knows his UT history. Nothing farther.” Get it?

Milton isn't a QB? He's still been pretty effective behind center for us when given the chance. This isn't exactly Nathan Peterman we're talking about. And you know there is more to being a QB than simply throwing a nice ball don't you?

It's entirely possible that Milton did everything else better than Hooker in practice. From fall practice reports (and from actual game evidence) none of them throw a particularly good deep ball. All of them have had issues with it. Milton seems to make great reads, he's just inaccurate on mid-deep level throws.

Milton isn't a QB? He's still been pretty effective behind center for us when given the chance. This isn't exactly Nathan Peterman we're talking about. And you know there is more to being a QB than simply throwing a nice ball don't you?

It's entirely possible that Milton did everything else better than Hooker in practice. From fall practice reports (and from actual game evidence) none of them throw a particularly good deep ball. All of them have had issues with it. Milton seems to make great reads, he's just inaccurate on mid-deep level throws.
I’m not going to get into the eval of what I’ve seen out of Milton. Imo he’s not a qb and he would fair well to switch positions.

I love Heupel. I think he made a mistake with Milton but that doesn’t make him any less of a coach. I’m not exactly “sold” on Hooker yet after beating an extremely bad defense but I think he’s light years better than Milton and it shows on the field.
I know you are a BM fan and so was I… I really wish he could’ve been the guy to run this system I said it many of times that he had the highest ceiling in this offense of our QBs but we just couldn’t find a way to make it happen… I do think Hooker is really solid and will have a really good efficient season this year and will continue to grow each week gotta remember this offense is still new to him as well.

Reactions: 1vol8
No. Take what they say and apply to yourself. If you have any common sense about you at all you don’t go around telling the whole truth about your place of employment so why would they? Instead of going on national TV and saying “X company has a better product than we do” you might say “They have a long history of a good reputation”. Same thing. When there’s a camera in your face you DONT say what you really feel but you MAY graze the surface and leave it up to the people to determine your meaning. If I had a camera in my face right now talking about you for example, I wouldn’t say “Hes an arrogant prick that seems to try and intimidate other posters”. I would say “ That man knows his UT history. Nothing farther.” Get it?
No one except YOU interpreted Calloway’s interview as anything but glowing concerning Milton. This interview was conducted for the purpose of introducing the players and he was asked about the difference between the quarterbacks. HE (unprompted) specified what set Milton apart. That’s why I mentioned agenda. You got one for some odd reason. Admire your restraint at admitting your resentment that I don’t buy your unsolicited but always forthcoming bull****. So yeah…I got it! I’m no Milton apologist and am very happy that Hendan has seized the job…which I didn’t predict. Difference between a real fan and whatever you’re doing on here since your boy will never take another snap for my Vols. Get it?

Reactions: Carp
I know you are a BM fan and so was I… I really wish he could’ve been the guy to run this system I said it many of times that he had the highest ceiling in this offense of our QBs but we just couldn’t find a way to make it happen… I do think Hooker is really solid and will have a really good efficient season this year and will continue to grow each week gotta remember this offense is still new to him as well.
Don’t get me wrong. Hooker showed me promise. I just don’t like to jump on board until he faces a top team and he performs like he did or close to. I’m not saying he’s gotta hang 62 on UGA. I’m saying he’s gotta show me he’s a difference maker in games like those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back