JGs arm strength.

JG has the arm strength to make all the throws. If he can get timing down, such as hitting the receiver out of the break or in stride, he could do some damage. His biggest issue is seeing the field and that could of been hindered by the O-line last year. We will see. He has started to put touch on passes which is something he lacked the past few years. Overall he has NFL arm strength. He just need to sharpen all the other aspects of his game.

Reactions: madmaxvol
Some of his deep throws seemed to be a little short last season, maybe because he didn't have time to step into the throws deep. When the defense is in your face you don't get to plant and throw.

Reactions: pimo1 and alaVOL
I remember reading somewhere that the WRs were complaining that he throws it too hard. Looks like to me his arm strength is good. Not elite but enough to make just about any throw.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
JG has the arm strength to make all the throws. If he can get timing down, such as hitting the receiver out of the break or in stride, he could do some damage. His biggest issue is seeing the field and that could of been hindered by the O-line last year. We will see. He has started to put touch on passes which is something he lacked the past few years. Overall he has NFL arm strength. He just need to sharpen all the other aspects of his game.

Seeing the field and and reading a defense would be 2 extremely important issues to improve your game......……………...……...GO VOLS

Reactions: Steven5198
One of the better overall arms UT has had in the last 25 years at least. The two I can think of that were comparable from an accuracy + strength combo are Shuler and Bray. His arm will never hold him back.

Some of his deep throws seemed to be a little short last season, maybe because he didn't have time to step into the throws deep. When the defense is in your face you don't get to plant and throw.

Good point here. He didn't have the confidence to take the hard step up and let it loose. I think he can throw the deep ball well enough, though I'd like to see our offense focus more on the intermediate passes.

Yet to see it on long throws. I remember the two or three floaters against Vandy. The Vandy DB's had a better chance catching the ball than the WR's.

O-line fault in 3....2...1

He was also a couple more hits away from being crippled last year, so im sure it was hard to put any weight into the throw

JG has good arm strength. His problem has been lack of an offensive line which makes you uncomfortable throwing in the pocket.

Last edited:
Reactions: k-town_king
It is difficullt to see the field with defensive ends layin on your face.

Reactions: lynnh
Adequate arm strength. Not weak, but doesn’t have a cannon either.

Weaknesses: mobility and elusiveness are way less than what he was billed as.

He has some toughness, but I saw him look for soft spots to land versus the three of the better defenses he played; Bama, Florida and Missouri. He didn’t finish any of those games as I recall.

Reactions: cbatey1 and Pacer92
I get that his lines have sucked, but one stat that is good is also a sign that he holds it too long. That stat being his lack of interceptions. It's tough to throw interceptions if you don't take some chances, or get your play read by a DB. It just tells me he plays like its back yard football and doesn't throw it unless the receiver is wide open, or down the sidelines where only the receiver can get it.

Reactions: lynnh
3JYpT89.gif

Athleticism isnt JG’s problem and it’s often his own fault that he is on his back so much.
BS. Worst OL in Vol history. Not even Manning could have done much better with that OL. Let's see what the kid can do with an average OL (which may be 2020) before placing so much blame on him. With an avg. QB, we probably only win 3 games last year. ANY chance of 7 wins in '19 depends on JG remaining healthy.

VN Store

Back