JG - Underrated players ready for a breakout season

But y’all want to rip the kid at every opportunity.

We want to rip the kid? Lol. Such a volnation type comment. I can’t speak for anyone other than myself but I don’t want to rip our qb. I want our web to be the best player on the team and someone everyone can get behind. Unfortunately, jg isn’t that guy. I don’t care what an espn writer thinks. No question, I’ve watched our team more closely than him.
With jg, it’s not about mechanics or arm talent. He has plenty of that. That stuff made him an elite recruit. Unfortunately, what makes a great “recruit” and and great “qb” are often two very different things. What I saw from jg was no internal clock. A great qb see the pressure coming and knows how long they have. They know when to take a step forward to buy additional time and they know when they have to release the ball to avoid being hit. Jg is absolutely god awful at this. He reminds me of Matt Simms. Just can’t make a decision and unload the ball and doesn’t have a good understanding of distance and timing. I’d love to be wrong but I doubt that will ever improve much for him. Those are intangibles you’re either born with or not.
The other thing jg seems to be unwilling to do is take shots down field. The defenses last year would just load the hall out of the box and stuff the run. We finally draw up a play you could tell was intended to go downfield and yet jg would almost immediately check down (a lot of the time) even when there was no pressure in him and the check down option was being completely smothered. Jg is wayyyyy too worried about his stats I guess. Because when it’s their and long and you check down to the line of scrimmage, you’re just handing the ball back to the opponent. Why not just take the deep downfield shot at that time?
So back to the original posters comment...no, not many Tennessee fans want to rip the kid. But we’re going to comment on what we see.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
There are some on this board that feel he doesn't chew his gum correctly, so he has to be a bum. Ok, being sarcastic, but there are the ones in the miserable minority that don't have a legitimate reason for their extreme dislike of JG. No stat or positive evaluation will change their minds.

I would say he chews his fingernails incorrectly.

Reactions: Pride85
Nuts. I was kind of hoping that there would be no expectations on this years team. This article is a game changer. Nuts.

I haven't retreated. He isn't that good. Sadly, he's still the best option on the current roster. It's why this team will have to fight to get to 6 wins. O-line wasn't good last year either.

"The best completion % on third down". "The best % under pressure." "The most pressured QB". Did you read the article??

We want to rip the kid? Lol. Such a volnation type comment. I can’t speak for anyone other than myself but I don’t want to rip our qb. I want our web to be the best player on the team and someone everyone can get behind. Unfortunately, jg isn’t that guy. I don’t care what an espn writer thinks. No question, I’ve watched our team more closely than him.
With jg, it’s not about mechanics or arm talent. He has plenty of that. That stuff made him an elite recruit. Unfortunately, what makes a great “recruit” and and great “qb” are often two very different things. What I saw from jg was no internal clock. A great qb see the pressure coming and knows how long they have. They know when to take a step forward to buy additional time and they know when they have to release the ball to avoid being hit. Jg is absolutely god awful at this. He reminds me of Matt Simms. Just can’t make a decision and unload the ball and doesn’t have a good understanding of distance and timing. I’d love to be wrong but I doubt that will ever improve much for him. Those are intangibles you’re either born with or not.
The other thing jg seems to be unwilling to do is take shots down field. The defenses last year would just load the hall out of the box and stuff the run. We finally draw up a play you could tell was intended to go downfield and yet jg would almost immediately check down (a lot of the time) even when there was no pressure in him and the check down option was being completely smothered. Jg is wayyyyy too worried about his stats I guess. Because when it’s their and long and you check down to the line of scrimmage, you’re just handing the ball back to the opponent. Why not just take the deep downfield shot at that time?
So back to the original posters comment...no, not many Tennessee fans want to rip the kid. But we’re going to comment on what we see.
Maybe cuz it takes more than a damn second to have the play develop for a deep throw; something that O-line can't protect long enough for. I mean how many times did we see ETSU and Charlotte bust our hind ends on standard shotgun or one back set plays?

Maybe cuz it takes more than a damn second to have the play develop for a deep throw; something that O-line can't protect long enough for. I mean how many times did we see ETSU and Charlotte bust our hind ends on standard shotgun or one back set plays?

You're in a self-created state of delusion. Go back and count the number of sacks and the number of seconds after the snap.

We can all watch and recognize the times he didn’t have time to throw. That certainly happened some. But there were also many times that he had time and yet still immediately checked down when the rb was being smothered instead of taking the shot downfield. He absolutely has to try to push the ball downfield some. Its like he so worried about throwing and int that he’d just rather take the sack. Which is ok on first down. But often those plays occurred on third and long. There’s no reason not to take the shot at that point

You just quoted that JG is worried waaay too much about his stats which may be the most ridiculous statement I've seen made about our QB. You don't rip on him yet it's ok to make a made up statement that you have no idea if it's true or not. Unreal, sad and weak I feel but it's likely because you feel your opinion is waaay better than others so we must assume it as fact.

Reactions: Remy
You just quoted that JG is worried waaay too much about his stats which may be the most ridiculous statement I've seen made about our QB. You don't rip on him yet it's ok to make a made up statement that you have no idea if it's true or not. Unreal, sad and weak I feel but it's likely because you feel your opinion is waaay better than others so we must assume it as fact.

If JG were worried about his stats, he would have transferred 2 seasons ago.

Reactions: OL SMOKEY
Yep, this data is cool and all, but I was told by the experts that we should have played Chryst last year. I was also told Shrout and Maurer are better this spring. So JG should ride the bench this year.

Yep, this data is cool and all, but I was told by the experts that we should have played Chryst last year. I was also told Shrout and Maurer are better this spring. So JG should ride the bench this year.
StrawMan2.jpg

You're in a self-created state of delusion. Go back and count the number of sacks and the number of seconds after the snap.

And like I said on deep throws they struggled to have good enough protection to allow the plays to develop there was a few in the etsu game and Charlotte was just terrible all around. Never said he took any sacks.

Jesus man. Have you never heard of that before? Jg is so damn afraid to throw an int he’ll check down or take a sack instead of trying to throw it down the field. Great qbs don’t worry about that. They take shots down the field and have the arrogance/confidence to try to fit a ball into any window. If you've watched jg at all you know he’s the polar opposite of a gun slinger.
And separately, it’s just kinda weird the way you ended that comment man. People post opinions on message boards. You shouldn’t feel sad (or that I’m weak) because my opinion on his mentality differs from yours. Lol

VN Store

Back