JG - Underrated players ready for a breakout season

JG has his flaws but he played behind a crappy OL and has been subjected to questionable coaching. Last year, his OC had no P5 coordinating experience. The year before, JG tried to run Butch's scheme with an OC that had less coordinating experience than me......
Don’t be rational like that. This is Volnation. What in the Sam hell is wrong with you boy?

Here's another cool stat. A 4-1 touchdown ratio with three INTs is only 12 TDs. JG is underrated for a reason. He's not good.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Maybe you can pull up the multiple sports outlets, broadcasters and more who said that our OL was one of the worst of any P5 teams. Because we know our OL has been virtually universally acknowledged as one of the worst. Oh and we cannot forget how much better Texas WRs are than ours.

Where did I say Texas had a better oline than us?

Figured this would've already been posted but didn't see it. (Hopefully not a miss on my part)

So I randomly went to the ESPN NCF page and lo-and-behold, I saw orange in the header photo. Turns out there is an Insider article with under-radar players ready to break out this season.
(The good news is that because JG is the first player profiled, you can read all of it without needing a subscription).

LINK >>
Under-the-radar players ready for a breakout season in 2019

View attachment 211997
Nice find thanks!

Reactions: Carlitovol
The flaw with JG is what this writer touts as a strength. He holds the ball too long. As a result, rather than throw a ball in a tight window and risk a pick, he takes a sack.

Not all bad, and certainly good in some situations. But, he needs to find a better balance.

Yes, some of that goes on the O Line, but some certainly goes on him for failing to make quicker decisions.

So...yes the O Line undoubtedly needs to improve...but JG needs to make a big jump forward, too.
He definitely needs to improve on how quickly he works through progressions and gets rid of the ball, but to be fair, there were times last year when 1.5 seconds was holding onto the ball last year.

IMO pocket presence might be what he needs to improve the most. Sometimes when he actually did have a pocket to work with he hurt the OL a bit by not moving too well in the pocket.

He definitely needs to improve on how quickly he works through progressions and gets rid of the ball, but to be fair, there were times last year when 1.5 seconds was holding onto the ball last year.

IMO pocket presence might be what he needs to improve the most. Sometimes when he actually did have a pocket to work with he hurt the OL a bit by not moving too well in the pocket.
Chaney’s plan in practice if JG doesn’t get rid of the ball by “3 Mississippi”
1562758736050.gif

I think Chaney has the knowledge and experience to understand our potential weaknesses based on who we are facing and develop a game plan to play to our strengths. I really don’t care if JG doesn’t throw a single TD pass all season as long as he manages the game well and we win.

GBO!!!

Reactions: FïreBall
He has got to recognize and feel where the rush is coming from. Also, for a duel threat coming out of high school... he sure looks slow running the ball. All in all I do think he has a good chance for a very productive season. Fingers crossed

JG has decent straight line speed, but he isn’t gonna be Dobbs running around or through people. He’s got enough wheels to get out of a jam or keep it on a read option to keep people a little honest .

He also needs to work on his pre-snap reads and adjustments. There were multiple times last season where the D would just walk a linebacker or a corner into the box and you could see they were bringing it, no protection adjustment, no audible, no timeout and the result was 1 of three things (all bad). Yeah the line the sucked, but he has to help himself in the regard too. The most important part of that will be 3rd&3 instead of 3rd and 6+.

A lot of the JG criticisms I see are along these lines, but mathematically, it's a flawed criticism.

A sack is typically a lose of 3-6 yards and you live to fight another day. An Interception is typically a swing of 30 - 60 yards, often even resulting in an opposing score. So even if a QB was so conservative that he took 10 more sacks in order to avoid 1 INT as a result, he'd likely come out ahead.

Frankly, there are too many "gunslingers" out there who try to force passes to make a play, rather than just take the sack. The analytics say taking a sack is far better than a risky pass. IMO, this was one of the major reasons why JG was far superior to Chryst last season and Dormady in 2017; both Chryst and Dormady tried to force too many passes as a result of pressure.

But really, we just need the O-line to run-block and pass-protect better, so we're not taking so many sacks and tackles-for-loss to begin with.

Typical pass drop is 7 yards so I would say the typical pocket sack is 7 yards. If you retreat like some of ours where its 10 yards. Look at JG's total yardage its in the high minus yards( per recruiters he's DT, per VN he's Pro Style) only other relevant QB in SEC with minus rush yards is Fromm UGA who was under our new OC Chaney. He like JG was very low attempts per game. Makes you think willing to take the sack. So I hope Chaney has some magic.and this is not the norm.

JG is tough as nails and shows nice accuracy when given time to throw. He has got to recognize and feel where the rush is coming from. Also, for a duel threat coming out of high school... he sure looks slow running the ball. All in all I do think he has a good chance for a very productive season. Fingers crossed
When the rush comes from EVERYWHERE on EVERY PLAY, your point is moot.

yep. the problem with the passing game is a combination of things. sometimes it was protection breaking down badly, sometimes it was JG not doing the pre snap reads right, sometimes he held the ball too long.....sometimes the RB or TE missed an assignment, sometimes the WR dropped the ball or did something wrong on the route.......

all those "sometimes" for the indivduals involved adds up to why "most of the time" our passing game struggled.

still not sure why folks can't see that at this point. it wasn't all JG's fault, but he definitely has things he has to improve on for it to get better, and for him to be asked to do more for the offense.....keep the efficiency he operated with last year, he managed the offense well enough, and improved from 17 to 18. it's now time to take another step. and he'll need the rest of the offense to take that step with him.

But y’all want to rip the kid at every opportunity.

You are right! AND I have been one of them. To defend myself, (if it's possible) for me there is just something a little off with his play. Sorta like a bell being rung that has a crack in its side. I hope he "rings" like a new bell this year! Go "G", Go vols!!!!

If our OLine can get it together and we can have a good running game, I think JG will shine this year. He has gotten a ton of criticism.....some warranted...but there arent many QBs in college football that could perform well behind the line we had last year.
i'm anxious to see how he does this year. by all rights with the influx of talent at the OL, the amount of returning production we have, and the impact Chaney can have, i think it's fair to expect a pretty big step for the offense in general. and if they do, then JG could be the biggest benefactor....hope so anyway.

yep. the problem with the passing game is a combination of things. sometimes it was protection breaking down badly, sometimes it was JG not doing the pre snap reads right, sometimes he held the ball too long.....sometimes the RB or TE missed an assignment, sometimes the WR dropped the ball or did something wrong on the route.......

all those "sometimes" for the indivduals involved adds up to why "most of the time" our passing game struggled.

still not sure why folks can't see that at this point. it wasn't all JG's fault, but he definitely has things he has to improve on for it to get better, and for him to be asked to do more for the offense.....keep the efficiency he operated with last year, he managed the offense well enough, and improved from 17 to 18. it's now time to take another step. and he'll need the rest of the offense to take that step with him.

Reading you post made me think, why so many mistakes all around? I wonder if JG were a better more forceful leader and more willing to "call out" a guy in the huddle when calling a play or "prepping" the key guys involved in the play or after a play has failed due to a mistake if it could help. To me, a QB MUST BE A/THE Leader ON OFFENSE. He seems a little passive to me when directing the offense.

Reading you post made me think, why so many mistakes all around? I wonder if JG were a better more forceful leader and more willing to "call out" a guy in the huddle when calling a play or "prepping" the key guys involved in the play or after a play has failed due to a mistake if it could help. To me, a QB MUST BE A/THE Leader ON OFFENSE. He seems a little passive to me when directing the offense.
i think that could definitely be part of it. i do think he got better in that department last year, and all indications are he's grown some more as a leader this off season. but yeah, sure that's certainly possible.

i still tend to think the lion's share of the issues were the result of not enough talent around him, his own issues pre snap and decision making in the pocket, and lack of development on the OL---the # of OL that have left the program the last 2 years can't be discounted....it's taken a toll an forced other guys in to action that probably weren't 100% ready.

and i'll say this, in the 2017 season, i don't think he was a good leader for the team. not at all.

i think he's come a long way since then in that regard, with still some room to improve, like most everything else about the offense.

that's part of taking that next step...and the team taking it with him imo.

Reactions: savannahfan

There are some on this board that feel he doesn't chew his gum correctly, so he has to be a bum. Ok, being sarcastic, but there are the ones in the miserable minority that don't have a legitimate reason for their extreme dislike of JG. No stat or positive evaluation will change their minds.

Reactions: FïreBall
There are some on this board that feel he doesn't chew his gum correctly, so he has to be a bum. Ok, being sarcastic, but there are the ones in the miserable minority that don't have a legitimate reason for their extreme dislike of JG. No stat or positive evaluation will change their minds.
well, he wasn't "great". he does have legit issues neeing corrected. if they aren't corrected, the offense won't take the step it needs to...

he's just not the only one on the offense that falls in to that category. the QB is the center piece, so more falls on his shoulders.......but by no means is it ALL on his shoulders.

and here's the one thing that i will say...if the rest of the offense takes the step, but JG doesn't, it won't matter much to the results getting appreciably better.

Reactions: chargervol

VN Store

Back