JG just can’t play good

It's so bizarre to me that he can come out one week, throw for a career high against a good defense in Mizzou while hitting crazy passes on 3rd and long over and over again, then come out one week later and start the game 0 for 6. I understand there were different circumstances but jeez it's been like that since he's been here. We won in spite of him last night, not because of him.

I agree, he's a great teammate it seems, a tough guy, and a true competitor... but those qualities won't win the SEC without more talent to back them up.

I don't know if he is reallly a good team mate and respected? Is he one of the captains on the team who goes out for the beginning of game for the coin toss? I don't know, if he isn't they are voted on by the players, and him being a senior player, actually a redshirt jr. If he is a good leader and respected as a leader I would think he would be one of them. As I said I don't know if he is or not?? But that should tell you a lot about how his team mates feel about him.

Wikipedia? Lmao. Very official. 🙃🙃🙃🤣🤣😂😂😂

No actual football site has qb wins as a stat.
1st off, it's 10×more official than the wins you credited JG for despite as you state "no actual football site has wins as a stat".

I was generally curious as to the source Wikipedia uses. I can't find their footnotes for stat references, but I'm on a mobile, and would generally like your take on why wiki lists it if it's not a stat. And what criteria did you use earlier in this thread to credit JG with wins?

Go ahead and straighten wiki out. They're more credible than you are, and that's not a compliment to wiki.
Y'all are getting desperate.
2nd, I'm not the least bit desperate. Here's my last post pertaining to the debate between JG/BM & the rest of our QB room.

Our QB room will be the best in the SEC
I don't get it sometimes. That is just as bad as "The Never JG" crowd you bemoan.

I really hope HB turns out to be the 2nd coming, but BM is a bird in hand for comparison sake at this point.

Am I the only one that thinks we're gonna need both JG & BM next year?

All this talk about where the spark before GA came from is subjective hearsay at best if we're going by reports of a team meeting.

I'll say BM certainly passed the 'eye test', sparking a scoring drive against Florida when we were for all intensive purposes dead in the water.

He came out with moxie against Georgia, Miss St, & AL. I'll trust the refreshing energy I saw the team play with and Maurer's moxie I saw with my own eyes over reports of a team meeting.

What a quagmire. Then I saw JG come out looking better and more consistent than I've previously seen him display against USCe, Kentucky, & Mizzou.

Why do I trust BM's spark in lieu of his mediocre stat line as a true freshman? The same reason I(and countless others) thought Dobbs showed a spark, 'it factor', moxie...his true freshman year.

Dobbs 2013
5 games (4 started)
72-of-121 passes for 695 yards with two touchdowns and six interceptions and also rushed for 189 yards and a touchdown in his true freshman season

Brian Maurer 2019
6 games (4 started)
31-74 passes for 524 yards with 2 touchdowns and 5 interceptions and also rushed 22 times for 48 yards with 2 TD's so far in his true freshman season.

Our QB room seems like a much better version of our QB's dilemma going into 2014.

If I'm Pruitt I announce the starting QB is undecided all through spring & fall camp. Then a few days before our opener, I announce that BM & JG are splitting halves the first game of the season. Neither has shown to be the clear cut #1 going into next season IMHO.

Unless HB is the almost mythical true freshman savant that's so good you have to start him (Hooray If So!!) he should 3rd string it, hopefully preserve his redshirt.
3rd, you have got to be the most disingenuous poster I have seen over a few years of lurking then 3+ years of posting, particularly regarding JG's status since the spring of 2018.

I've disagreed with Pulaski - I think he may hyperbole, but I wouldn't consider him intentionaly disingenuous like you.
I've disagreed with 1Vol8 - From spring through summer I told him Pruitt didn't unfairly criticise BM and that the QB competition was fair.
I've disagreed with JMSqb11 in the past over booster & program prestige issues.
I've had serveral disagreements with several forum members, but I've never seen anyone so brazenly espouse false narratives, propogate made up statistical confirmation, petulantly insist on unconfirmed rumors & hearsay bias to support a narrative as you do.

4th, The JG-Burrow false conflation you've recently attempted, I'm no guru but I can't bring myself to call that an honest comparison, has got be the most asinine affront to statistical analysis you've made regarding our QB's the past few years.
A much more reasonable take would be to compare JG's pre-2020 outlook to J. Worley's pre-2014 outlook. The question is, provided he stays healthy which his durability favors, how long can he hold off the more talented underclassmen?

I wouldn't be surprised if JG is supplanted as starter well before the 6th game, but I'm willing to bet on by the 6th. Care to make a friendly avatar bet?

Last edited:
I've been as critical of JG as anyone, but next year will be the first time he's returned to the same offense. The kid has had 4 offensive coordinators.

Hopefully his timing will improve, which should help his accuracy, but I'm not holding my breath. I think there's a very real chance that Harrison Bailey is eventually named the starter this year.

Just hope ut doesn't wait till we lose to a cup cake team before making the decision. Because I feel Pruitt will go with jg regardless of how well any of the others are doing in practice.

Reactions: mpfvol
The board is divided, and good points can be made both ways. So I'll just go on the old reliable "eye test".

I love JG's heart, toughness, and complete commitment to UT Football. He's a VFL, and you have to love those. He's been tougher than a two dollar steak through thick and thin while he's been at UT, and anyone who calls themselves a Vol fan owes that young man a serious debt of gratitude for all that he has given for UT Football.

That being said, his ceiling is not going to win the SEC, or the SEC East. It is what it is. Give him an All-SEC surrounding cast, and he can win it. But give him what we have, and he's not going to beat UF, UGA, or get anywhere near Bama with his skill set. Again, it is what it is.

JG can get the 2020 Vols to 8 wins. The key question in the spring and fall will be can any other QB do better?

Go Vols.

It’s like the announcers said last night. He seems to always be late on his throws because he doesn’t anticipate his receivers. He wants to make sure they are where they are supposed to be before he lets it go. This needs to be a major area of improvement between now and September if he wants any chance at winning the starting job.

You can sharpen a knife but you have to have one first. One needs to have some instinctual ability to do this first before you can hone it. After almost 3 years of practice, forget it.

Like trying to get Charles Barkley to swing a golf club correctly..... ain't happening.

His bad throws were definitely off, he also had 18 completions and 220 yards.
JG spotted them 9 points. I love his fight but man he was just awful. Missed tons of throws in the 1st half, a couple of which would have been touchdowns. In the red zone he can not make the right read or find the open guy fast enough. We are lucky to have someone like JJ who fights for the end zone every play, because if we don’t score a TD on a big play we don’t have a good chance to score one in the red zone. And on his final 2 drives, he dumped it off to Eric gray twice which went for most of the yards. I don’t wanna bash him too much but geez he had a rough day yesterday

You can sharpen a knife but you have to have one first. One needs to have some instinctual ability to do this first before you can hone it. After almost 3 years of practice, forget it.

Like trying to get Charles Barkley to swing a golf club correctly..... ain't happening.

If that’s the case, he should find himself a Jedi and start learning to use the force.

Watching CB try to swing a golf club is some funny stuff. And painful.

Reactions: nomads-11
To those saying we had no other options at QB for that game - stop lying. Both Maurer and Shrout had games where they played for a half, as well or better than JG has played any half this year - and that with a tiny fraction as much playing time as JG has had. Maurer lit up UGA in the first half, and was playing well enough against Bama that Saban sent in that freshman goon linebacker that never plays to take him out with a late hit to the head.

If either Maurer or Shrout were actually given time and sufficient reps as the starter over multiple games, he would quickly supplant JG. Both are far, far ahead of where JG was when he had had a similar number of reps.

Hopefully Bailey comes in and takes the job from day one. Short of that, Maurer or Shrout should be given real time, as in multiple full games, to develop, rather than that nonsense Pruitt pulled multiple times this year where they got yanked after one or two series.

Go ahead and list all the games this year that either Maurer or Shrout threw more than two INTs in one half of one game - I'll wait. You can't, which means neither would have done worse than JG did in the game Thursday, and probably either one would have done better. Maurer's brief time in the game demonstrates that he would have done as well or better.

Maurer went 5-7 for 62 yards in the Bama game prior to the concussion; against UGA he went 14-28 for 259 yards, two TDs and one pick. Shrout went 7-11 for 122 yards in the SC game, including a 55-yard TD. You JG homers are counting on people not remembering the actual truth of how these two played when they were given opportunity, and just accepting your biased B.S. and being influenced by it. Stop lying.

Last edited:
Watching CB try to swing a golf club is some funny stuff. And painful.

Yep, if you've ever seen it, you'll get the analogy. There has to be some natural ability to really improve it. Charles is a lost cause, in golf,.....which is why it is handicapped. Put Charles on a BBall court tho, and watch out.

Reactions: lifeisdeep

VN Store

Back