JG is now your starting QB ... he has earned it

Yup, he threw up two 50-50 balls which were both caught. Thank goodness for that.

And he made a couple of runs which could be seen as crucial.

Other than that, his play was pretty much average. Not counting him handing off with the wrong hand due to his injury, causing a fumble that almost cost us the game. But other than that, he had a decent outing.
He slung 14 points up in his half of the game. What did your little brother do? If JG was JUST AVERAGE, where do you grade your little brother and the 3 points he led us to? You were right JG did all you said he did WITH A BROKEN HAND. Not to bad if you ask me. Face it dude, the staff has more faith in JG than they do the other 2 QB's. They have seen a lot more of the QB's than you and I have. They have WAY MORE football knowledge than you and I do combined. I just don't understand WHY YOU THINK you know more about who should play than the STAFF does. Is your last name Maurer? Just wondering. SMH

Last edited:
I was speaking for myself, that was my first thought. If he’s “done enough for you”, then fine, post it, I won’t assume you’re speaking for me.

He played unusually well last night, helped the team win. Still hope he moves on after the season, it’ll be best for all parties involved.
What are your reasons as to why it would be best for all parties involved if JG were to transfer? Put up or shut up!

Reactions: NCFisher
Maurer didn’t play that poorly last night. Needed to shake the rust off and began to show some signs in the second quarter after 2-3 poor passes early. Of course, we didn’t have the ball at all in the first half so he virtually no chance to get in any kind of rhythm.

He passed the ball twice as much as JG with much poorer completion %, and yards per. TN's time of possession was almost exactly split between the two halves. Regardless of excuses, JG simply outperformed BM and it wasn't close. Aside from pure passing stats, he does the things running the offense BM doesn't seem to be able to do.

Last edited:
Pure speculation, you have no idea if that’s true. Our defense couldn’t get off the field in the first half allowing Ky to keep the ball about 21 of 30 minutes. Maurer hasn’t played since week 7/the Alabama game, so he needed to shake off the rust, which he was doing slowly but surely. Led us on an 11 play 71 yard scoring drive, then had the 34 yard hookup with Callaway before running out of time before the half. We’ve seen Maurer, in limited action, be better at throwing players open, hitting receivers in stride than Guarantano....no reason to think he wouldn’t have done the same last night to the guys we had running wide open in the second half imo.

21 of 30 minutes is 9 minutes and almost exactly the same number of minutes TN had the ball 2nd half.

Rust, schmust. Freshman, smeshman. The guy that can produce wins NOW needs to play. At this time, that's not Maurer.

He slung 14 points up in his half of the game. What did your little brother do? If JG was JUST AVERAGE, we do you grade your little brother and the 3 points he led us to? You were right JG did all you said he did WITH A BROKEN HAND. Not to bad if you ask me. Face it dude, the staff has more faith in JG than they do the other 2 QB's. They have seen a lot more of the QB's than you and I have. They have WAY MORE football knowledge than you and I do combined. I just don't understand WHY YOU THINK you know more about who should play than the STAFF does. Is your last name Maurer? Just wondering. SMH

But, but, but...50/50 balls - magically thrown with regularity by JG - simply aren't part of the game when you have big, athletic receivers - WTF are you thinking???? It's all LUCK...magic - maybe JG made a pact with Lucifer - but those big, rangy receivers should not be expected to go up and catch them all the time. It's so....strenuous!

You simply haven't wised up yet. You're still listening to amateur nobodies like Pruitt, Chaney, et al instead of tuning into the Doyle and KBVol radio show for real expertise and insight.

It should be syndicated in your market any day now...

Chaney to Pruitt on headset "Coach, he keeps throwing it low like he is aiming the ball, can we make a change"? Pruitt "whatever, I've got my hands full with this triple option read ISO offense" Chaney "Got any snack cakes, I just ran out" Pruitt "All I have is peanut butter tonight" Chaney "No, just send Weinke up with a box or two, I'm bored, we've only had the ball 5 minutes this half" Pruitt "aight"...

Reactions: Vol524
Just amazing how knee jerk so many on here are. JG’s has what, 3 good halves of football this year?....Miss State, Kentucky and Scar? After atrocious play and inexcusable decision-making as a 4th year player earlier in the year that directly led to losses......but now he’s the undisputed guy over a true freshman who’s just coming back from multiple concussions, who clearly has a higher ceiling with his abilities and demeanor/attitude?

Okie dokie then.

Reactions: 1vol8
Just amazing how knee jerk so many on here are. JG’s has what, 3 good halves of football this year?....Miss State, Kentucky and Scar? After atrocious play and inexcusable decision-making as a 4th year player earlier in the year that directly led to losses......but now he’s the undisputed guy over a true freshman who’s just coming back from multiple concussions, who clearly has a higher ceiling with his abilities and demeanor/attitude?

Okie dokie then.
I’ve noticed with most on here that “support” is an hourly rental. But you can only rent support a week at a time.

What are your reasons as to why it would be best for all parties involved if JG were to transfer? Put up or shut up!
1. We know what JG is.....moments of good play, many more of poor play that can cost you games. See: Georgia Stste, BYU, Florida and Alabama.

2. He struggles with accuracy downfield which negates potential splash/chunk plays. Conversely, we’ve seen both Maurer and Shrout, with a fraction of the opportunities, give the team more opportunities to score on these plays....Maurer vs Georgia, Shrout vs MissSt.

3. Despite 3 good halves of football in 10 games this year from JG, the most recent being his play last night which has schizophrenic VN back on his side and begging him to stay, the full body of work says we can’t trust the guy, especially in big moments vs the best teams. He completely shrunk vs Florida and Alabama this year, he couldn’t handle the moment/pressure.

4. I personally believe Maurer has a much higher ceiling for good to great QB play in the SEC, and JG hanging around creating the weekly drama about “can he, will he?” and always being 1 poor Maurer or Shrout play away from entering the game stunts their growth and ability to develop. Jmo.

5. JG would do well to move on to help his career. He’s damaged good here despite his good 7 passes last night in the second half. He’s on a high right now after a win vs a outmatched KY team, he’ll surely be on a low before long with more opportunities to be “bad Guarantano”. Move on, get a clean slate elsewhere without the mental baggage he has here.

Reactions: VawlDave

Okie dokie then.
... And Maurer has had a couple of good halves. The position hasn't been stellar all year, but JG is clearly the better option at least until Maurer gets better with the offense and becomes more accurate. Who knows? Maybe it flip flops during the bye week. Don't know why people feel the need to be in one camp or the other. Theyve done a pretty good job of managing the QBs the last few games.

It's comical watching people on both sides minimize one guy's success so they can be right about the other guy.

You just never know which JG you’re gonna get. I’ll take tonight’s JG every Saturday

He’s been pretty consistent since losing his starting job. Even against Bama he was playing pretty well until the infamous fumble which he has taken full responsibility for.

Maurer has a lot of upside but our offense is just so limited with a Freshman in there.

... And Maurer has had a couple of good halves. The position hasn't been stellar all year, but JG is clearly the better option at least until Maurer gets better with the offense and becomes more accurate. Who knows? Maybe it flip flops during the bye week. Don't know why people feel the need to be in one camp or the other. Theyve done a pretty good job of managing the QBs the last few games.

It's comical watching people on both sides minimize one guy's success so they can be right about the other guy.

There was a thread earlier this week asking which QB is best to finish the season. I said it then and maintain today that it’s going to take all 3.

I do tho k JG has earned to start again but totally get it if coaches think coming off the bench is better.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
It’s not a great scenario when your most experienced but less talented qb has his hand in a cast. He almost cost them the game with the fumbled hand off and I know almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. On the one hand you have two freshmen that are talented but are freshmen. The only good thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. Our biggest hope at this point is JG’s hand heals up in the next two weeks and he gets some coaching to not do things to hurt the team effort. I believe the Vols can win the next two games with the new and improved bought in mentality.

Last edited:

Maurer hasn’t had any opportunities to develop and have more success due to his injuries and a short leash. Kid’s a true freshman and gives the team more energy when he’s in there imo vs the best teams we’ve played this year.

JG was good last night, hopefully he keeps it up the next 2 games, cause he’s clearly the guy Pruitt wants to play.

Reactions: 1vol8
Maurer hasn’t had any opportunities to develop and have more success due to his injuries and a short leash. Kid’s a true freshman and gives the team more energy when he’s in there imo vs the best teams we’ve played this year.

JG was good last night, hopefully he keeps it up the next 2 games, cause he’s clearly the guy Pruitt wants to play.
I agree to an extent, but it just is what it is. BM has had tough luck with injuries and it's set him back a little. I don't see the benefit in making a true freshman deal with injuries and drinking out of a fire hose as long as JG manages the position like he has the past month.

Maurer definitely provided a spark back in Oct but I think JG has earned back the teams confidence.

If your argument is ride or die with Maurer then I disagree. I want him to play but I also think JG still has an integral role playing in the game.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
It’s not a great scenario when your most experienced but less talented qb has his hand in a cast. He almost cost them the game with the fumbled hand off and I know almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. On the one hand you have two freshmen that are talented but are freshmen. The only good thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. Our biggest hope at this point is JG’s hand heals up in the next two weeks and he gets some coaching to not do things to hurt the team effort. I believe the Vols can win the next to games with the new and improved bought in mentality.

Remember they brought Maurer in before the first TD in the second half and he fumbled the snap too. Ifs and buts...

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Remember they brought Maurer in before the first TD in the second half and he fumbled the snap too. Ifs and buts...
That’s true but he got the ball back and it wasn’t in nut cutting time with the clock running down and the other team only behind by four points. All this conversation is fun but winning the game makes it all moot. Just have to look forward to upcoming games and hope the staff makes the best decisions for our team.

I wouldn't say that JG has earned unconditional trust.
CJP has never said that JG has earned his unconditional trust--he has repeatedly said that JG must keep earning trust.
CJP also said that he has never given up on JG--and that we wouldn't have won last night without JG.
CJP has continued to coach JG hard--something that most on here NEVER submit to in any area of life.

To be accurate and fair---
JG's play was catastrophically bad against Georgia State, BYU, Florida, and BAMA--on MULTIPLE occasions...

AND JG didn't play so well against UAB...
JG has played well against Miss. State, USCe, and now KY.

But JG has continued to submit to the process and has improved his performance accordingly.
It is a credit to CJP, Weinke, and Chaney for continually "hanging in there" with JG; it's a credit to JG for "hanging in there" and accepting coaching.

So I am proud of JG for many things and extremely happy for our victory over KY!

However, I will remain cautiously optimistic concerning JG--because performance improvement is not usually linear.
In other words--his performance against KY doesn't GUARANTEE his performance will be just as good against Mizzou or Vandy.

GO VOLS!

Does he play better off the bench? He has earned the right to play. We probably don't win without him.

Benching JG was a good thing, for the team and for JG. Lesson learned. I believe the young man’s problem has been a lack of maturity since his arrival. I also believe he’s probably over the hump, and ready to produce going forward. I think he is our qb, and I think he he’s sure as hell earned it. Just wish he had his head in the right place a year ago.

VN Store

Back