JG is now your starting QB ... he has earned it

I would imagine 6 weeks?.... could be wrong for a surgery though.
It's definitely a good time for a bye week. I've been scared to death that one of those handoffs was going to go wrong.

You sound silly, we dont win this game if BM is still in after halftime.
I actually agree. It’s no secret that I’m the biggest supporter of BM but you’re right. It looked to me that he was told to stay in the pocket and work a quick/conservative plan tonight. I don’t think he looked “bad” but taking his legs is half his game that keeps the chains moving. Congrats to JG.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I think we can put the debate to rest after tonight. If "this" JG plays the rest of the season, we'll enjoy some nice weather at the game on New Year's day.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Oh good lord op. Mauer wasn’t playing bad. They decided to air out the ball with jg and it worked. But let’s keep things in perspective...he’s played some of the worst football any qb ever had at TN. And if mauer has been left in the game I think we still win.
And what did you see in the first half that would support your argument? If JG would have started, gotten us into the right plays when he surveyed the D, we probably win by 20 or more. Mauer was absolutely awful. Hope he gets better, but he does not have command of the playbook that JG has, and that is why the O bogged down in the first half tonight. Some people just can't give JG credit for anything.

For all of you who will run thru a brick wall if Jennings told you to, apparently he told Pruitt that JG was their best option. I kinda wish we could just stop discussing his play and just roll with whatever the coaches do lol

And what did you see in the first half that would support your argument? If JG would have started, gotten us into the right plays when he surveyed the D, we probably win by 20 or more. Mauer was absolutely awful. Hope he gets better, but he does not have command of the playbook that JG has, and that is why the O bogged down in the first half tonight. Some people just can't give JG credit for anything.
Everyone is giving JG credit from what I’m reading on multiple threads. And Maurer wasn’t “absolutely awful” either. He looked like a rusty qb that hasn’t played in a few weeks that was coached to not extend plays with his feet this week.

I have been as down on him as anyone but I give him credit for playing what I think is his best half of football. If he can play like that consistently he gives us a chance to be very good. But he has to cleanup the mistakes. I think it also tells us something about our coach. If he listened to us fans, JG wouldn't see the field but he is showing that he will not give up on a kid and I think that will play very well as he builds this team. For sure, we do not win the game without JG. Good job, young man.
He did the same exact thing to Mississippi St I feel.

Reactions: feathersax
I'm not a fan of him, maybe he'll change me back in time, however, I will give credit where it is due. Thank you JG for your part in the victory. Great job.
You should be. If you're a Vol fan you should be a fan of JG unless he was a trouble maker and deserved of being kicked off the team. You may think he is not our best option but should be a fan IMO

Oh good lord op. Mauer wasn’t playing bad. They decided to air out the ball with jg and it worked. But let’s keep things in perspective...he’s played some of the worst football any qb ever had at TN. And if mauer has been left in the game I think we still win.

That's s reach. I think either Maurer or Shrout give us more long term potential. I can't realistically try and argue that we win this game without JG coming in.

I do not want to go into next year with JG as our incumbent. I'd say give JG Missouri and BM Vandy.

As I've said before, I have no allegiance to any of the quarterbacks. Whoever has the hot hand and can help us get the win is fine with me. JG had a great night tonight and brought the team back for a huge win. Next game, it may be someone else. As long as we win, I don't care.

I know you regularly hate on JG and that's fine but it's very doubtful we win that one leaving Maurer in there. He wasnt very sharp. JG was the spark for the offense last night and that was clear to anyone with eyes.

He did OK, minus his fumble that almost cost us the game (THANK YOU DEFENSE).

But all he really did is what he does every game: putting up 50-50 balls and hoping our receivers come down with it. Tonight, they did (holy crap Palmer!).

Just don't ask him to hit a 40 yard strike in stride. He isn't physically capable of doing that. One area where he improved was in his run game.

But if he cannot hand off to the right side of the field, he shouldn't be playing. That fumble was on him, not on the runningback.

Last edited:
Reactions: LocoVol
He did OK, minus his fumble that almost cost us the game (THANK YOU DEFENSE).

But all he really did is what he does every game: putting up 50-50 balls and hoping our receivers come down with it. Tonight, they did (holy crap Palmer!).

Just don't ask him to hit a 40 yard strike in stride. He isn't physically capable of doing that. One area where he improved was in his run game.

But if he cannot hand off to the right side of the field, he shouldn't be playing. That fumble was on him, not on the runningback.

7/8 115 yards 2 TDs in 1 half.. he shouldn't be playing? Let me guess, we should've stuck with BM lol. We dont win this game without JG, so you can thank him too. It won't kill you I promise.

Reactions: k-town_king
A person can't argue he's "the" QB, not sure the starter. Mentally he seems to perform better coming off the bench. JMO.

But I'll tell you who knows, that's the coach. He knows the dynamics at play more than anyone on this board.

Last edited:
Someday, people will realize his name is Maurer, not Mauer. Until then, I'm gonna continue to say, wtf is Mauer?

VN Store

Back