JG gets a ton of blame- our Rushing Offense has been even worse

The good teams know that all you need to do is stack the box against Tennessee. Until the Vols can take the top off the defenses with an actual down field passing attack, the rushing numbers will continue to be poor.
/thread

I could show you the 5 straight completions he had down the stretch vs Indiana that helped the Vols win their bowl game. You would just find a way to poo on those as well. You neverJG guys are never right.
And we can show you the 2 awful interceptions that directly led to 10 Indiana points which completely switched momentum. On the last scoring drive he was 1-2 throwing to Palmer and a penalty vs Indiana and Eric Gray did the rest. The drive before that, all he basically did was check down to his wide open running backs...3 of those 5 straight completions went to Gray and Chandler. Made 1 good throw that Jennings turned into a 22 yard gain with YAC.

He didn’t exactly put us on his back for the win....what he finally did was stop giving Indiana points directly based on his poor play. If he had actually done what you’re saying in that game, he’d be the undisputed QB starter going into next year....instead, there is an open competition to find his replacement in hopes of getting a much reliable, play making SEC QB who can help this team reach its potential. He clearly ain’t the guy to do that imho.

This is BS. 3 of the top 4 rushing teams in the league had no passing game whatsoever. There is also this thing called video and when used to watch games you'd see that teams last season actually dropped 7 into coverage much more often than stacking the line and bringing 6 or more.
Name them...

And we can show you the 2 awful interceptions that directly led to 10 Indiana points which completely switched momentum. On the last scoring drive he was 1-2 throwing to Palmer and a penalty vs Indiana and Eric Gray did the rest. The drive before that, all he basically did was check down to his wide open running backs...3 of those 5 straight completions went to Gray and Chandler. Made 1 good throw that Jennings turned into a 22 yard gain with YAC.

He didn’t exactly put us on his back for the win....what he finally did was stop giving Indiana points directly based on his poor play. If he had actually done what you’re saying in that game, he’d be the undisputed QB starter going into next year....instead, there is an open competition to find his replacement in hopes of getting a much reliable, play making SEC QB who can help this team reach its potential. He clearly ain’t the guy to do that imho.
Nobody said that he put us on his back, I said he made winning plays down the stretch vs Indiana that helped us win the game, he did the same thing in wins vs Ky and Miss St and played his best game in the win vs SCjrs. The neverJG crowd acts like JG doesn't do anything to help the team win and that's just not true I feel. Only fans are arguing over who is going to start, I'll take JG starting the opening game and I'll give you the field, it's not that tough of a prediction to make.

Pass offense 221.38 yards/game (8/14 in SEC)
Rush offense 144.15 yards/game (12/14 in SEC)

Pass offense: 196.4 yards/game (11/14 in SEC)
Rushing offense: 129.1 yards/game (14/14 in SEC)

Don't want to post the stats, dead last in both…

JG takes a ton of criticism and I agree some of it is warranted. I don't notice the same energy when it comes to our rushing offense, it's been terrible the past 3 years. To get to the next level our entire offense needs to improve, including the line (graded 113/130 teams last year).
The major problem with our rushing woes is that JG cant consistently get the ball downfield!!! When the defense loads the box bc JG can't complete a pass, it makes it tough to run.

There were times we were forced to run the ball 10+ times in a row bc Chaney didnt even trust JG to throw a damn hitch route.

Alabama only rushed for 300 more yards than the Vols last year so their running game must have really stunk as they can stretch the field with anyone with their receivers. Rushing numbers are an offensive philosophy, a physical OL and talented RBs. We've not had any of those the last few years and while I think we have a chance to have a physical OL next season I'm not sure we have the backs to rush for the 2500 yards we need to be a balanced offense.

While I disagree with you on JG for the most part, i agree with this assessment 100%.

We need better backs and linemen.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
So you think Kentucky had a potent passing game every opponent had to respect? Just how do you rate UKs downfield passing attack?
Come on man, you know better than this. Kentucky ran the triple option, which is a unique offense that no other SEC runs and no SEC defenses sees and prepares for. They had a dynamic athlete at QB and because of him and their ability to execute a unique offense, they were very difficult to stop.

Kentucky last year was an anomaly, kind like how teams struggle to stop other teams like Army and Navy and Air Force.

For the rest of college and NFL football, the idea that the running and passing games complement each other and being successful in one helps the other is very much sound thinking.

Nobody said that he put us on his back, I said he made winning plays down the stretch vs Indiana that helped us win the game, he did the same thing in wins vs Ky and Miss St and played his best game in the win vs SCjrs. The neverJG crowd acts like JG doesn't do anything to help the team win and that's just not true I feel. Only fans are arguing over who is going to start, I'll take JG starting the opening game and I'll give you the field, it's not that tough of a prediction to make.
I argued in his favor all off season last year. Defended him because I thought it was deserved and that he needed another season as starter to see what he could do after another year if experience, in a second year with Pruitt, with one of the top OCs in the country.

But after witnessing what saw from him last year in all but 3.5 out of the 13 games he played.....no, he just can’t do it, he’s just not good enough for this team wants and needs to go. It’s time to move him out of the way and let a younger, more talented QB lead the offense....and that’s literally any of the other 3 imo.

This is BS. 3 of the top 4 rushing teams in the league had no passing game whatsoever. There is also this thing called video and when used to watch games you'd see that teams last season actually dropped 7 into coverage much more often than stacking the line and bringing 6 or more.
I agree. It's a complete myth. In some cases, it happens, but if you pay attention to the defenses were seeing, it's a ton of Nickel defending the run with 5or 6. Why in the world would anybody stack the box against us when we struggled to get bodies to the 2nd level against regular fronts?

i don't think it's a stretch to say we struggled at the QB spot. you don't start 4 different QB's in a given season, w/no major injuries, and htere not be an issue.

all 3 of the guys that threw a pass for us this year had moments that made you say "wow". and all three had moments that made you say "yikes".

and even with all that, we were still able to run the ball well enouogh, we could continue to run the ball, especialy on early downs.

though it may not look like it wholistically, that helped the QB's a lot.....

the O line was a lot better in 19 than the previous two years....and it will only get better with the additions and depth we now have, and the development of guys like morris and wright, amongh others that aren't household names.

the qb debate is pointless imo. the only thing that matters is it has to get better. i would find it hard to belive no one would agree with that, regardless of who takes the first snap of the 20 season.

The O-line was garbage in 17'&18'
Those OL's were intentionally "built" by Jones to be lean and hopefully quick enough to make a difference. That works in the MAC.... it doesn't work where opposing DL's are as athletic as in the SEC. They never got push. The influence blocks didn't work. They couldn't get OL's to the second level where speed might have helped. In all... it was a testimony to Jones' idiocy.

That said, those OL's were NOT bad at pass protection IF JG had not been so ridiculously slow getting the ball out. Dormady had a bunch of his own problems... but at least tried to get the ball out on time. He took 4 or 5 sacks in 5 games. JG replaced him and took about 30 sacks in the next 6 or 7 games.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Those OL's were intentionally "built" by Jones to be lean and hopefully quick enough to make a difference. That works in the MAC.... it doesn't work where opposing DL's are as athletic as in the SEC. They never got push. The influence blocks didn't work. They couldn't get OL's to the second level where speed might have helped. In all... it was a testimony to Jones' idiocy.

That said, those OL's were NOT bad at pass protection IF JG had not been so ridiculously slow getting the ball out. Dormady had a bunch of his own problems... but at least tried to get the ball out on time. He took 4 or 5 sacks in 5 games. JG replaced him and took about 30 sacks in the next 6 or 7 games.
Dormady spent 4 games throwing off his back foot. Pass pro was awful in 2017 and improved to below average last year.

Reactions: KBVol
Dormady spent 4 games throwing off his back foot. Pass pro was awful in 2017 and improved to below average last year.
BS... and especially about last year. But JG WAS near the bottom in time to throw.

Alabama only rushed for 300 more yards than the Vols last year so their running game must have really stunk as they can stretch the field with anyone with their receivers. Rushing numbers are an offensive philosophy, a physical OL and talented RBs. We've not had any of those the last few years and while I think we have a chance to have a physical OL next season I'm not sure we have the backs to rush for the 2500 yards we need to be a balanced offense.

Agreed. I like Chandler and Gray but they don't seem built to pound on a defense. That's okay tho! We'll continue to use them in the passing game.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
So do we want to fire Chaney now? I'm so confused.

I'm not sure about that but I know Kirby Smart really wanted to run the ball more under his tenure as offensive coordinator at Georgia. Maybe that's why I running game is a little lacking? I don't know, maybe he just doesn't like running the ball as much.
I'm really hoping the old adage, the greatest or biggest increase is on the second year of the offense.

Ok let's say this statement is true.. that's still no reason to be basically dead last in the SEC in rushing the last 3 years.

Teams weren't really stacking the box against us last year..
This. Nobody...not even Ga. State...needed to stack the box. With this awesome O-line and another year of Chaney's tuelage under his belt, JG will either have his better-late-than-never breakout season, or he'll mostly ride the pine.

Ky,ole miss, ms st had a combined record of 16-20. Leading the SEC in rushing means nothing except a very dismal passing attack.

VN Store

Back