JG gets a ton of blame- our Rushing Offense has been even worse

The good teams know that all you need to do is stack the box against Tennessee. Until the Vols can take the top off the defenses with an actual down field passing attack, the rushing numbers will continue to be poor.

So you think Kentucky had a potent passing game every opponent had to respect? Just how do you rate UKs downfield passing attack?

This is true and our O-line was terrible the first 2 years. But JG still is a big cause because teams just stacked the box against us. They knew JG would probably not be able to beat them throwing the ball. Got to be able to throw well to open it up.

Like UK

Omg it hurts to try to understand why people don't understand the most basic principle to a good running team. The D# must respect the passing game or there just going to stack the box. The fact that No one could stop Kentucky means they had a great line. But with the way teams load the box with JG you get wide open receivers and he cant deliver. He will have about 2 great games, but with teams loading the box with 7 to 8 defenders the middle is wide open and he cant hit a receiver in stride to save his life.

2019-09-21-Tennessee-Guarantano-misses-Pope.gif

Pass offense 221.38 yards/game (8/14 in SEC)
Rush offense 144.15 yards/game (12/14 in SEC)

Pass offense: 196.4 yards/game (11/14 in SEC)
Rushing offense: 129.1 yards/game (14/14 in SEC)

Don't want to post the stats, dead last in both…

JG takes a ton of criticism and I agree some of it is warranted. I don't notice the same energy when it comes to our rushing offense, it's been terrible the past 3 years. To get to the next level our entire offense needs to improve, including the line (graded 113/130 teams last year).
When you can’t pass the ball people stack the box

One thing, it's hard to argue w/ JG is that he doesn't turn the ball over much (career)...ball security is key. IF our OL turns out to be as dominant as suspected, and run game is legit, then JG may actually be good fit for "game manager" type QB. Problem is, he can't be a no-show for FL, UGA, Bama.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
So what was the excuse this past year? Or did we still have the worst Oline in the nation in 2019?
It was better but like what are you looking for? We run a pro style offense. It’s not that hard to stop especially when JG at the helm

I mean this is a message board.. Any input on our pass/run offense or nah?
It's literally the same argument in every thread started about JG, its tired and overplayed. So, again I can't wait for him to move on from UT so we don't have to rehash this same conversation every 2 days.

Reactions: SmilezDavis
One thing, it's hard to argue w/ JG is that he doesn't turn the ball over much (career)...ball security is key. IF our OL turns out to be as dominant as suspected, and run game is legit, then JG may actually be good fit for "game manager" type QB. Problem is, he can't be a no-show for FL, UGA, Bama.
That's also the problem with JG....by the time he is absolutely sure that there is no defender to intercept the ball, it's too late to complete the pass.

Reactions: VolsnRavens

JG takes a ton of criticism and I agree some of it is warranted. I don't notice the same energy when it comes to our rushing offense, it's been terrible the past 3 years. To get to the next level our entire offense needs to improve, including the line (graded 113/130 teams last year).

A lot of that is teams choose to play the run against us m owing that we probably won’t hit anything over the top against them. We’ve got to have a qb that can scare a defense to have a great run game.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
The 2nd biggest complaint I have with JG, after him holding the ball, is that he doesn't make plays with his feet. Our rushing yards would increase with a mobile QB. It would require the D to account for another runner, and occasionally turn sacks into positive plays.

A lot of team Rushing stats are inflated for teams with QBs who have wheels. That ain't us. From what little I've seen of Harry Bailey, that probably won't change a lot. I'd be happy to be wrong about that. Tee could run. Shuler was a beast. Brent Schaefer could run, but was loose with the ball. I admit to being envious of teams with a dangerous runner at QB.

I'll be really glad when JG finally leaves UT, not because I hate the kid or anything but the bickering back and forth between his haters and worshipers has gotten really old

Amen to that...look, who knows, he may be the season's starter and we'll see what happens but we need to come together right now and stop the pettiness...not good for your heart...:D

GO JG AND GO VOLS!

Reactions: sameolvol
That's also the problem with JG....by the time he is absolutely sure that there is no defender to intercept the ball, it's too late to complete the pass.
It's a miracle I guess that he completes 60% of his passes, you make it sound like he should be completing >70%. Must be his receivers bailing him out 6 out of 10 throws.

Reactions: k-town_king
It's literally the same argument in every thread started about JG, its tired and overplayed. So, again I can't wait for him to move on from UT so we don't have to rehash this same conversation every 2 days.

We'll jus be rehashing a different conversation with the next 2 QBs.. but ok. I guess you'll get tired of that too

I could show you the 5 straight completions he had down the stretch vs Indiana that helped the Vols win their bowl game. You would just find a way to poo on those as well. You neverJG guys are never right.

The problem is he puts the team in a bad place to begin with. That bowl game should have been a TN blowout, and those 5 straight completions down the stretch wouldn't have even been a sidenote. He puts the team in bad positions and has been lucky to bring us back, but a team cannot be successful long term with that kind of QB, and it's shown.

It's a miracle I guess that he completes 60% of his passes, you make it sound like he should be completing >70%. Must be his receivers bailing him out 6 out of 10 throws.
What is his completion % on the opponents side of the field...where windows are tight??? Or the redzone??? Anyone QB can complete 4 yard dump offs with 80 yards of field to go.....

And those 5 completions 2 were dumps offs to EG. Against IUs version of the prevent...hardly inspiring..

If they have success we won't but ok.............
I'm largely in agreement with what you've said in this thread because the endless Guarantano debate is just silly to me. However, I think this statement is questionable unless you have a very narrow definition of success. There were plenty of negative comments about Dobbs, and he was our most successful QB in a decade. People see Casey Clausen differently in hindsight, but many fans weren't particularly happy with his play at the time. We're just a difficult bunch to please. History suggests that we'll continue to complain. A division title may be enough for Guarantano's successor to avoid this just because it's been so long, but God help him if he plays poorly in the conference title game.

I'm largely in agreement with what you've said in this thread because the endless Guarantano debate is just silly to me. However, I think this statement is questionable unless you have a very narrow definition of success. There were plenty of negative comments about Dobbs, and he was our most successful QB in a decade. People see Casey Clausen differently in hindsight, but many fans weren't particularly happy with his play at the time. We're just a difficult bunch to please. History suggests that we'll continue to complain. A division title may be enough for Guarantano's successor to avoid this just because it's been so long, but God help him if he plays poorly in the conference title game.
I don't think JG is a world beater at QB but I also don't think the last 3 years of sh!tty football are all on him. It's just an extreme level of craziness with this kid, there's those who would drink his bath water and then there's those who wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. It's just strange

Reactions: SmilezDavis
The problem is he puts the team in a bad place to begin with. That bowl game should have been a TN blowout, and those 5 straight completions down the stretch wouldn't have even been a sidenote. He puts the team in bad positions and has been lucky to bring us back, but a team cannot be successful long term with that kind of QB, and it's shown.
There is always a shoulda, woulda coulda quote with the neverJG crowd. Vegas didn't think the Vols should have blown out Indiana why do you? It gets old hearing after a win that we should have won by more. I'm glad he was lucky those last 7 games of the year or we could have easily finished 3-9

Reactions: k-town_king
What is his completion % on the opponents side of the field...where windows are tight??? Or the redzone??? Anyone QB can complete 4 yard dump offs with 80 yards of field to go.....

And those 5 completions 2 were dumps offs to EG. Against IUs version of the prevent...hardly inspiring..
Like I said all you do is poo! It's a sign of having a simple mind

The good teams know that all you need to do is stack the box against Tennessee. Until the Vols can take the top off the defenses with an actual down field passing attack, the rushing numbers will continue to be poor.
Exactly. Even Alabama wouldn't able to run the ball against most teams if every opponent knew they were incapable of throwing deep. Blocking is still a numbers game no matter how talented your team is or isn't

Exactly. Even Alabama wouldn't able to run the ball against most teams if every opponent knew they were incapable of throwing deep. Blocking is still a numbers game no matter how talented your team is or isn't
Alabama only rushed for 300 more yards than the Vols last year so their running game must have really stunk as they can stretch the field with anyone with their receivers. Rushing numbers are an offensive philosophy, a physical OL and talented RBs. We've not had any of those the last few years and while I think we have a chance to have a physical OL next season I'm not sure we have the backs to rush for the 2500 yards we need to be a balanced offense.

I think everybody has cabin fever with all this rain. Yeah, JG hasn't been the greatest. When his completions work, all's wonderful. But, those misses, they're plain awful. Remember the hits he took in '18 though. Give him a little love here guys. He surprised a lot of us coming back wk after wk when most QBs wouldn't. Can't remember the Stanford 5th year grad backing him up, and both played best they could behind that Oline. Let's just be thankful we don't have that line anymore, I hope.

i'd say this about our run game last season....we ran it well enough to keep doing it.

which was an improvement over the previous couple years for sure.

Well it's hard to run the ball when you have no passing threat. Defense can load the box.

Reactions: rkvdg

VN Store

Back