JG- All I need to say

Put up Maurer's stats too, he hasn't been impressive at all outside of the 1st half vs UGA..
Posted this elsewhere. Maurer is a fr. He makes mistakes and several have been costly. But the production you get is MUCH better than JG.

Against Bama, MSU, and UGA- Maurer- 18 drives, 31 points. JG 18 drives, 16 points.

In spite of the turnovers, Maurer led the Vols to more points. His completion % was 55% to JG's 50%. Maurer threw for 375 to 175 for JG.

YPA- 9.10 vs 6.25 in favor of Maurer.
YPC- 16.61 vs 12.50 in favor of Maurer
Avg depth of target- 12.88 v 9.27 in favor of Maurer
Time to throw- JG 2.41 seconds (really good for him), Maurer 2.16 seconds {/quote]

Posted this elsewhere. Maurer is a fr. He makes mistakes and several have been costly. But the production you get is MUCH better than JG.

Outside of the 1st half of UGA I wouldn't say he's been better at all, seems like the coaches trust JG more than any of our other QBs. People just act like we're keeping Peyton Manning on the bench.. Maurer has completed under 50% of his passes, 2 TD and 5 picks.

With JG we win 17-10
With BM we win 24-10
With Shrout/JJ we win 20-10

It won't matter who the qb is, our defense is gonna roll.

Defense is indeed the obvious... missed some key players in the first two games. Gave up too many points in the first game and a game losing blown coverage in the second. 6 & 3 today and this board is really different. The D has played more cohesively and with emotion recently and must again do so Saturday.

And, IMHO, point two is, in the SEC, you need to be able to run the ball with better consistency...

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
You all believing Rudy is true or 90% true shows how dumb and naive you are. It all makes sense now. Y'all live in fantasy land. 😭😭😭

Y'all believe in moxie and magic pixie dust. Lol
A simple internet search would give you a mountain of evidence demonstrating that Rudy is based on a real person and that the movie is a largely accurate portrayal of his life during that period.

Your last statement is rich coming from a devoted cultist.

Outside of the 1st half of UGA I wouldn't say he's been better at all, seems like the coaches trust JG more than any of our other QBs. People just act like we're keeping Peyton Manning on the bench.. Maurer has completed under 50% of his passes, 2 TD and 5 picks.
He just gave you comparable stats that prove the offense is more productive under BM than JG. BM is a freshman, that makes freshman mistakes. JG is a JR. that makes freshman mistakes. When all things are equal you go with the younger player.

He just gave you comparable stats that prove the offense is more productive under BM than JG. BM is a freshman, that makes freshman mistakes. JG is a JR. that makes freshman mistakes. When all things are equal you go with the younger player.

Again, he gave us a spark during the 1st half of the UGA game. Since then he's thrown 0 tds and 4 picks. Idc who the QB is but he hasn't been better for us.. I think the coaching staff thinks so too. We'll see who they decide to go with Saturday.

Outside of the 1st half of UGA I wouldn't say he's been better at all, seems like the coaches trust JG more than any of our other QBs.
Well, that's simply not true. There are still pass plays they avoid with JG. JG's experience is helping him manage the run game.

Versus Bama, Maurer was 5 of 7 with a pick that hit JJ in the hands before bouncing to a DB. He had 62 yards and Bama had not shown they had an answer for his quick passing. JG was 7 of 16 for 55 yards. UT coached around him to try to keep it close.

Versus MSU, JG ended up with better numbers but only after you include the TD pass to #10 that any of the walk on back ups could have thrown. VERY clearly the playcalling changed after JG came into that game. They ran more and became very conservative with their passing game.

People just act like we're keeping Peyton Manning on the bench.. Maurer has completed under 50% of his passes, 2 TD and 5 picks.
Yeah. And repeating that last sentence may make you "feel" good... but it isn't an accurate reflection of his play in REAL situations. He wasn't good in his first two games in mop up. Guess what? JG pretty much sucked in his first two games.

I will say again. I do not know if Maurer or Shrout are the answer. I like the flashes we've seen from Maurer. He drives the ball into small windows and makes plays. But he may not have a ceiling any higher than where he's at. So no... I'm not sure anyone believes he's Manning.

What I am pretty certain of is that JG isn't the answer. He appears to have hit his ceiling... and it isn't good enough. So IMO, there are two guys who "may" have a high ceiling if given PT and coaching... and one who just is what he is.

With JG we win 17-10
With BM we win 24-10
With Shrout/JJ we win 20-10

It won't matter who the qb is, our defense is gonna roll.
I like Shrout. I think he has potential. He's not ready to play. He can throw it but he doesn't manage the O well. He needs time.

Again, he gave us a spark during the 1st half of the UGA game. Since then he's thrown 0 tds and 4 picks. Idc who the QB is but he hasn't been better for us.. I think the coaching staff thinks so too. We'll see who they decide to go with Saturday.
Again, the numbers he provided proved that the offense is more productive under Maurer vs. Guarantano......

Reactions: FBtime
Again, the numbers he provided proved that the offense is more productive under Maurer vs. Guarantano......

What are the stats since that 1st half? I'll save you the time I posted them above. I hope both kids get better but I think the coaches will stick with JG.

Last edited:
Reactions: k-town_king
Whether I like JG or not, if he’s leading them I’m gonna support him. Hope Maurer is back and can finish the game but at this point, I don’t care who the QB is, just get us that W.
Like, what do you mean? Financially? Or, do you mean you’re going to sit their like a good little sheep and clap at whatever UT serves up?

I’m guessing the latter.

What are the stats since that 1st half? I'll save you the time I posted them above. I hope both of the kids get better but I think the coaches will stick with JG.
The original point of this wholeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee thread was offensive production. The offense produces when BM is at QB, the offense only scores 12% of the time with JG at the helm. So again, this offense is more productive with BM at QB. Since you clowns love stats so much and you love to point to PFF stats to put JG up on a pedestal how do you feel knowing they named Tyler Johnston of UAB the number 4 QB in the country? JG stats are meaningless because while they show a decent completion % they show very little offensive production...............................

Reactions: FBtime
The original point of this wholeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee thread was offensive production. The offense produces when BM is at QB, the offense only scores 12% of the time with JG at the helm. So again, this offense is more productive with BM at QB. Since you clowns love stats so much and you love to point to PFF stats to put JG up on a pedestal how do you feel knowing they named Tyler Johnston of UAB the number 4 QB in the country? JG stats are meaningless because while they show a decent completion % they show very little offensive production...............................

Lol so stats are meaningless now? Got it

Lol so stats are meaningless now? Got it
Completion % without production is meaningless..... It's like saying a pitcher has 100 straight innings without a walk without mentioning his 6.00 ERA. You wanna talk about stats, the number 1 dual threat QB in the country has -138 yards rushing in his career but he has a whopping 27 CAREER TDs to go along with that completion %.

Well, that's simply not true. There are still pass plays they avoid with JG. JG's experience is helping him manage the run game.

Versus Bama, Maurer was 5 of 7 with a pick that hit JJ in the hands before bouncing to a DB. He had 62 yards and Bama had not shown they had an answer for his quick passing. JG was 7 of 16 for 55 yards. UT coached around him to try to keep it close.

Versus MSU, JG ended up with better numbers but only after you include the TD pass to #10 that any of the walk on back ups could have thrown. VERY clearly the playcalling changed after JG came into that game. They ran more and became very conservative with their passing game.

Yeah. And repeating that last sentence may make you "feel" good... but it isn't an accurate reflection of his play in REAL situations. He wasn't good in his first two games in mop up. Guess what? JG pretty much sucked in his first two games.

I will say again. I do not know if Maurer or Shrout are the answer. I like the flashes we've seen from Maurer. He drives the ball into small windows and makes plays. But he may not have a ceiling any higher than where he's at. So no... I'm not sure anyone believes he's Manning.

What I am pretty certain of is that JG isn't the answer. He appears to have hit his ceiling... and it isn't good enough. So IMO, there are two guys who "may" have a high ceiling if given PT and coaching... and one who just is what he is.
I agree with you on this. I will wait and see what happens in he Spring when HB is here. From what I have seen of HB, he seems to see the entire field and can put the ball where it needs to be to aviod the defender getting his hands on the ball I think next Spring will be interesting for the QB position. I think HB throws the deep ball very well and could really open up the offense for a much improved running game.

If he's playing he's our best chance at winning.

You really believe that or did you forget blue font? Do you also think communism is still the best path to success for the Chinese?! Coaches can be wrong. See Worley vs. Dobbs. Hurd vs. Kamara. Lewis vs. whoever it was that was in front of him when he was a freshman!

Omg some of you! BM IS A FRESHMAN!!!!!! More mistakes are yet to come but that doesn’t mean you can’t trust your eyes when he flashes(which is quite often)! Right now he’s playing against competition that’s been in college football since he was a sophomore in Hs. He’s running on all natural abilities vs trained for the next level. That alone SHOULD inspire hope for what he could be in the future. I’m sick of reading about his 2 tds and 5 ints when the truth is it’s 4 tds and 4 ints. And 2 of the 4 ints could have easily gone the other way. Say what you will but that ball hit DWA in the chest vs Florida. The int vs UGA you can’t see on TV but Palmer stumbled from his feet getting tangled with a falling CB after the ball had been released. Of his 5 ints only 2 were bad decisions. Give the kid a break.

VN Store

Back